What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Falcon Gyro

szicree

Well Known Member
Anybody have any experience with the Falcon/Wultrad Electric attitude gyro? Will it die an early death if it's exposed to the occasional loop/roll?

Steve Zicree

Last edited:
I'm exposed to a decent number of these (since we're a dealer for them) and my personal recommendation is that if you're planning on much acro, forget about using any gyros at all - vac or electric.

After about 300 hrs in my -6, my high $$ cageable sigma teks are just about shot. Yeah, I know about "unhooking" the vac, etc.., but no matter which way you slice it the attitude indicator takes a beating during loops, cuban 8's, hammerheads, etc.. and the DG takes a beating during the rolls (which are almost a requirement for every flight).

If it were me (and it kind of is because I can't wait to rip out my Vac system this fall), I'd go with the following:

#1) Trutrak's new ADI (I've seen it wrung out by a couple of rather famous Younkin pilots) and survive beatifully - due to the fact it has no massive spinning weights inside of it.

#2) Dynon EFIS. Also can handle the acro.

Both are available with internal batteries aside from the external electrical system, so both are good choices.

Anyway, the chinese gyros are ok, but anything exposed to acro with a spinning gyro in it will suffer an early death to be sure.

Cheers,
Stein.

Import gyros NG

Sorry, I'm not intending to ruffle any dealers feathers, Stein.

Before you get your heart set on an import uncertified gyro, search the Matronics list-Aeroelectric Connection. There are quite a few postings of import gyros bought from catalogs that were noisy electrically and mechanically on initial power up. Some were even putting noise into the user's headset. There are also complaints of the imports drawing much more current than a sigmatek electric. I talked to a gyro overhaul house in FL who told me that the imports he's seen were not manufactured to be overhauled-just throw em out.

IMHO, if you're populating the panel with something to keep you alive in the clouds, you do not want to be bargain shopping. If you're going spinning gyro's get certified stuff, and turn them off when doing acro. If you're going solid state, there's quite a few non certified brands with many units fielded.

I'm going dual alternators single battery with a main and emergency power buss. Dynon D-10 with PC Flight systems backup AI., Trutrak auto pilot, and just for more (overkill, I admit I'm an idiot) redundancy, a certified turn coordinator, the only gyro which will not tumble. I like flying IFR and making long hauls.

Art :D

Actually my plane is going to be strictly VFR, but I like the idea of having an AI just in case I end up in a cloud. I'm a very conservative pilot and I really don't anticipate ever needing it, but it seems like a nice item to have. As far as the stuff on the Matronics list, I didn't really see much there to suggest that the import stuff was any worse than others. There's plenty on there about failed gyros of all types. I'm leaning strongly towards the solid state ADI from Trutrak at this point, but having trouble finding out exactly what it senses. That is, does it sense bank or does it infer bank from turn rate? I'm told that the pitch indication is actually inferred from vertical speed data. This could give some weird indications, like for example it would indicate a nose down attitude while mushing before a full stall. I've also got a question about turning gyros off during acro: Is shutting off the motor/suction really going to help if the thing is not caged? It seems like it could actually allow it to thrash around even more. Any instrument techs out there?

Steve Zicree

Last edited:
Steve, You are correct. To protect a gyro during aerobatics it needs to be powered down and caged.
Mel...DAR

Back