What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin (UPS) GX60 battery

kentb

Well Known Member
The thread about the 396 battery reminded me about the following:
My friends GX60 started telling him that the internal battery needed to be replaced. He called Garmin (UPS products) and was told "just send it in with a check for $400.00".

Being that it was out of warranty, we opened the case (6 screws) and looked inside. The battery was a clip in 3.6 volt lithium battery. I found a matching one at Battery Plus for under $11.00. Plugged it into the battery holder and all was well after that.

Kent

Thanks, you may have just saved me about $ 389.00. My GX55 has just given me that message. After talking to Garmin I was led to believe that the only way to replace the battery was during a $ 400 factory overhaul. They told me that dealers or service centers cannot even replace the battery in the field. In the next day or two I'll pull my GX55 and see if the battery is replaceable. Did you have any problems with memory loss during the battery replacement?

Jim

I replaced my battery on my SL-60 a couple of years ago after being given a similar high price quote. To prevent any data loss while changing the batterie I temporarily soldered two 1 1/2 volt AA's together and kept the power on the battery terminals while I changed the permanent units out. Like the above post stated - total cost about 10 bucks and it is still working.

Martin Sutter
building and flying RV's since 1988

Back