What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flying the Sport Cruiser

FrankS

While vacationing in the Carolinas my son and I had a chance to Czech out (pardon the pun) the new Sport Cruiser. Being similar in size, shape and specs to the RV-12 and flying the Rotax 912 engine it seemed like the next best thing to flying the RV-12 itself to get a feel for these type of aircraft.

My overall impression was favorable. Now for some of the details.

Construction quality was excellent. Nice fit and finish everywhere both inside and out. One of my personal goals should I build an RV-12 is to mimic a production aircraft finish and the Sport Cruiser would be a good example to follow.

Climbing aboard was typical RV. Sit on the seat back and slide down into the cockpit. A handle located between the seats was helpful. Once inside with two people we had lots of room (46" wide cabin). Our shoulders never touched. (getting out was just as easy and the hand hold slot on the dash panel helped. This was a well thought out design).

The stick was in a comfortable location and the throttle was in the center console. The rudder pedals were adjustable (fore and aft) and this feature worked really well. You could adjust both the pilot and passengers peddles independent of each other. This would be another "production feature" I would really like to duplicate in my RV-12.

After securing the lap belt and shoulder harness I could still easily reach all controls and switches on the panel. Pull down the tilt up bubble canopy and get ready to go. View over the nose was good. In fact I have to say the tilt up bubble canopy is the only way to go. Except for the fact that you did not have a 120 MPH wind in your face you almost forgot the canopy was even there. Forget the slider. Tilt up is the way to go.

Pull on the choke, turn on the master switch then the fuel pump, hit the starter and the 912 jumped to life. Idle was between 1800 and 2000 RPM but did not seem harsh or excessive. In fact it was quite smooth and quiet.

The Sport Cruiser has a free castoring nose wheel so steering is differential tow brakes. I prefer a steerable nosewheel but it was easy to adapt to the differential brake steering.

Runup was the traditioanal mag and carb heat check.

It was a calm day so no crosswind to contend with. We used 10 degrees flaps for takeoff (more on that later). Advance the throttle and the plane accellerated smoothly. Hold right rudder for torque. At no time did the engine feel harsh or labored. Full throttle produced 5100 RPM on takeoff roll. Add very little back pressure to lighten the nose and let it fly off (which occurs at a low airspeed, about 45 to 50 mph) then lower the nose and accellate to 70 MPH in ground effect and add another light pull to climb.Climb out at 70 MPH was 800 FPM. It never felt mushy. Retract the flaps and head out to the practice area.

At this point I will mention two things I did not care for. The flaps are electronic and digital. Push the button and the flaps go to 10 degrees. Hold the button on too long and it jumps to the next digital setting of 20 degrees. The trim is also electric and digital. Its very positive but two clicks of the button on top of the stick is a big change in trim. I would prefer both the flaps and trim to be manual controls so I have a feel for how much I am changing them. The digital system has no feel and could be inadvertantly bumped without noticing. There were trim gages on the panel for reference.

Once at altitude we leveled off at full throttle and the engine quickly accellerated to 5500 RPM and the air speed shot up to almost 140 MPH in a matter of 4 or 5 seconds. This is a clean bird. Since you cannot hold that RPM indefinitely we throttled back to 4400 RPM and about 100 MPH. Again the engine was smooth and quiet at any RPM.

Pitch would trim positively and hold an airspeed well. Rudder was virtually not necessary. Ailerons were neutral stability. We put the plane in a 30 degee bank with our feet on the floor, trimmed it out, let go of the stick and flew a 360 degree turn with the ball centered and never lost altitude or changed bank.

Throttle off stalls occurred at 35 MPH or below and the nose would not break with the stick in my lap. There was plenty of buffet in the stick for warning and we were in a mushing stall losing altitude. Relax back pressure and shes flying again.

Back to the airport at 5200 RPM and about 120 MPH. Pull the throttle back and wait for less that 80 MPH. Click on 10 degrees of flaps and slow to 70 MPH for the rest of the pattern. Sink rate was about 500 FPM. Turn final and go to 20 degrees of flaps. Heres another wierd part. There is very little flare required. You set up your approach at 70 and while crossiing the numbers just pull the nose up a little (maybe pull the stick back an inch or so) and wait. I normally fly a Cessna 172 that requires quite a pull in the flair yet I was able to squeak on both landings in the Sport Cruiser. In fact my son flew with the instructor next and my son doesn't have his license yet. All his instrucition time has been in a 172 and he was able to the land the Sport Cruiser with ease (as long as the instructor held a little forward pressure on the stick to prevent him from flairing too much). Like most RV's you fly the Sport Cruiser with a thumb and two fingers so you don't overcontrol in pitch.

Now for the rest of the story. The Sport Cruiser sells for $80K but the "nicely equipped" version I was flying was $120K. The guy that took a ride after me wrote a check for one and he only has 2 hours total time flying in anything! I'm hoping I can get an RV-12 in the air for something more like $40K.

If you want the take a ride for yourself the folks I flew with are based at Rowan County Airport in North Carolina.

Overall, this was a pleasant experience and confirmed my position on the RV-12 and light sport aircraft in general. These are not your fathers ultralights but real airplanes. I wish they had these when I was training for my private. They are a lot nicer than the cramped and noisy 150's. If the RV-12 flies anywhere near as nice as the Sport Cruiser then I'm in. I really liked flying behind the Rotax engine. Light Sport Planes are not only something I could enjoy now but I could see flying the 12 well into retirement without overtasking aging reflexes.

I am currently looking at Air-park properties in North Carolina for my retirement home but thats another story.

Frank

FrankS said:
Overall, this was a pleasant experience and confirmed my position on the RV-12 and light sport aircraft in general. These are not your fathers ultralights but real airplanes. I wish they had these when I was training for my private. They are a lot nicer than the cramped and noisy 150's. If the RV-12 flies anywhere near as nice as the Sport Cruiser then I'm in. I really liked flying behind the Rotax engine. Light Sport Planes are not only something I could enjoy now but I could see flying the 12 well into retirement without overtasking aging reflexes.

Frank
Frank,

very nice writeup. I had my eye on the sport cruiser when they first started marketing. The advertised performance envelope and useful load puts it at the head of the LSA pack and your evaluation seems to confirm their numbers. You're not affiliated with CSAW are you?

I have to ask the obvious, why are you waiting for an unproven rv12? Did you not know that the sport cruiser comes in a quick biuld kit?

ajay

FrankS said:
Once at altitude we leveled off at full throttle and the engine quickly accellerated to 5500 RPM and the air speed shot up to almost 140 MPH in a matter of 4 or 5 seconds.

Actually you can.

The 912S (I am making an assumption that it is the engine you flew with) is rated at 5800 take off power for five minutes and then 5500 rpm max continuous for cruise.

Nice write up. Thanks.

FrankS said:
...5500 RPM and the air speed shot up to almost 140 MPH in a matter of 4 or 5 seconds. This is a clean bird...Throttle off stalls occurred at 35 MPH or below

We're talking indicated airspeeds, I assume. Let's see: 140 divided by 35 equals 4:1 speed ratio. Wow! Few designs in history have been able to achieve that, and that's a big reason Van's is the number one selling kitplane. I would like to see an unbiased independent measurement of SportCruiser speeds.

I'm skeptical.

Chase Snodgrass
Presidio, Texas
http://flybigbend.com

rvbuilder2002 said:
The 912S (I am making an assumption that it is the engine you flew with) is rated at 5800 take off power for five minutes and then 5500 rpm max continuous for cruise.
With fixed pitch props, the power above 5500 RPM really isn't useful. Unless you're using a variable pitch prop, you never get anywhere close to 5500 on TO and climb out. I'm happy to get 5000.

Many LSA won't be legal with the prop pitched for 5500 RPM WOT in level flight - you'll be well over 120kt unless you have a draggy airframe.

I'd love to fly the CT or other sleek LSA with an adjustable pitch prop.

westexflyboy said:
We're talking indicated airspeeds, I assume. Let's see: 140 divided by 35 equals 4:1 speed ratio. Wow! Few designs in history have been able to achieve that, and that's a big reason Van's is the number one selling kitplane. I would like to see an unbiased independent measurement of SportCruiser speeds.

I'm skeptical.

Chase Snodgrass
Presidio, Texas

Huh? Van's claims the RV-3 with a 150 HP engine has a top-speed to stall ratio of over 4:1, the RV-4 with 180 HP engine and solo pilot has a ratio of over 4.4:1, the RV-7 at 200 HP has a ratio over 4.2:1, The RV-8 at 200 HP has a ratio over 4.3:1, the RV-9 at 160 HP has a ratio over 4.4:1, and the RV-10 at 260 HP has a ratio over 4.5:1.

Also, I'm not sure why you are implicitly claiming Frank is lying or has some bias. Why is a 4:1 ratio claim for the Sport Cruiser impossible, but not so for all the RV models? (I haven't even bothered to go look up any other aircraft ratios!)

ajay said:
Frank,

very nice writeup. I had my eye on the sport cruiser when they first started marketing. The advertised performance envelope and useful load puts it at the head of the LSA pack and your evaluation seems to confirm their numbers. You're not affiliated with CSAW are you?

I have to ask the obvious, why are you waiting for an unproven rv12? Did you not know that the sport cruiser comes in a quick biuld kit?

ajay

Thanks for the compliment. I wish it was otherwise but I have no affilliation with CSAW.

I talked to the rep about the kit and it runs around $60K including the engine and crating and shipping to the states but does not include radios and paint. So the savings is not that much over the production bird which comes painted and assembled. The kit comes off the exact same assembly line from which the production planes come. In fact it gets a production que (about a 6 to 9 month waiting list exists already).

One other item I forgot to mention is that this flight school in NC primarily burns 93 Octane auto fuel. They add a little 100 LL now and then but mostly burn auto fuel. I like that option.

Concerning the speed comments by others, here are a couple of more observations. Although I didn't note the exact number the manuvering speed is something less than the 140 MPH as we were well into the yellow arc when we touched 140 (it was a very calm day). I think the manuvering speed was closer to 120 MPH which is a more reasonable continuous cruise speed for this plane. As for the stall speed being 35 MPH, the question then becomes why the instructor wanted 65 to 70 MPH on final. In a Cub or Champ which stalls about 35 MPH you fly final at 60 MPH. (Perhaps the instructor used 70 MPH as a practical speed for pattern work. He didn't get too excited , nor did I, if trhe speed dropped to 65 as the plane felt just as solid at that speed When we did stalls at altitude I never felt the bottom fall out of the plane even though the indicated airspeed was at the bottom of the dial.) All I can say it that the plane flew smooth and quiet at 140 and had a very benign stall at the low end whatever the number was. For a first time experience in this new plane there was nothing about this plane that ever made me feel uneasy. (Sorry fellas but I can't honestly say that was the case in every RV I've had the privelage of flying. There was some "newness" to RV's that spooked me on occasion) Flying the Sport Cruiser was an enjoyable experience from start-up to shut-down.

I don't know a lot about the history of the Sport Cruiser but they had some kind of relationship with Zenair that has since been dissolved. They do tend to brag that it was "designed in the US" so if Chris Hienz had anything to do with this design then there is a lot of experience behind it.

Getting to your main question about why wait for Vans. The main reason I am waiting for Vans is this:

Hopefull lower cost.

Some flexibility during the build (panel layout, etc)

The fun of building (its been on my todo list a long time).

Removeable wings to bring the bird home. Hangars up North are expensive even if your lucky enough to get one. Since I only live 1 mile from the local airport the plan is to tie down outside in the summer and bring it home during the winter. Thats a net savings of about $2200 per year.

My perception is that Vans organization is here to stay and will exist long after he passes on. So I think purchasing something from Vans has very low risk associated with it both from design aspect and factory support.

In the mean time I'm hoping the Sport Cruiser catches on with the local flight schools. I'm currently paying $94/ hour for a tired 172 and the Sport Cruiser was renting for $89/hour in NC. Given the choice I know which one I would choose. (Our local 172 smoked a cylinder on a relatively low time engine while the water cooled Rotax ran cool as a cucumber in the NC 90 degree temps)

I'm real curious as to what the next RV-12 wing design will be as that will be key to the 12's flight characteristics.

I'll say it again. I will need to fly the revised RV-12 before I buy it but if it flies anywhere near as nice as the Sport Criuser I won't be able to write the check fast enough to get my kit number in the que.

Here is one more tidbit of information I heard from an RV-7 flyer in NC. The reason Van chose Rotax as an engine supplier is that they are the only engine supplier that would commit to supplying up to 30 engines a month. If he has his numbers straight that gives you an idea of how many RV-12's Van anticipates selling.

regards, Frank

JimLogajan said:
I'm not sure why you are implicitly claiming Frank is lying or has some bias. Why is a 4:1 ratio claim for the Sport Cruiser impossible, but not so for all the RV models?

My only implicit claim is that the SportCruiser does not have a 4:1 Speed Ratio - absolutely no flames intended. There can be a great difference between indicated airspeed and true airspeed. I would not be surprised to find that the indicated airspeeds in a SportCruiser are exactly as claimed by the manufacturer and customers. I would, however, be surprised if the true speed ratio is greater than 3:1. One of these days perhaps Ed Kolano or the CAFE Foundation will test the aircraft - I'd like to see those results. Watch the RV Story Videos and you'll hear a comment about Van being "troubled by the exaggerated performance claims of some new models." Van entered and won contests to prove that he was telling the truth.

RV's are exceptional aircraft with large engines for their weight, all flush rivets, and streamlining details not found in the SportCruiser or any other current production LSA. RV's are not the "norm," they're amazing, especially considering their cost. I will be equally surprised if the RV-12 has a 4:1 speed ratio, but then again, if anybody can do it on 100hp, that would be Dick VanGrunsven.

Chase Snodgrass
Presidio, TX

Other Sport Cruiser flight observations

I flew the Sport Cruiser on a demo ride at Sun N Fun. One thing that is very different about the feel of the controls vs an RV is that the stick forces for pitch and roll where not balanced on the Sport Cruiser. Pitch is much more sensitive. Roll requires a fair amount of pressure to get into a turn. The stick is already fairly tall (but comfortable), so I'm not sure what quick fixes they can do to remedy that. I expect the RV-12 will have balanced stick forces just like the rest of the RV's.

However, I would agree that the Sport Cruiser is a great airplane and I enjoyed flying it very much.

Bill Swatling
RV-7 builder (fuselage)
[email protected]

Sportcruiser - V- RV12

FrankS said:
Overall, this was a pleasant experience
Frank
Frank,
Thanks for the feedback on your SportCruiser flight. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed the experience.

I decided to buy a Sportcruiser kit and it should arrive next week from the Czech factory. My decision was based on a positive test flight, the quality of their kits and also what is currently available in the market.

I think the RV-12 has a really long way to go to catch up with the fast moving market, and that Vans kits in general leave a great deal to be desired when it comes to the peripherals. The Cowls, canopy frames etc. and fairings are really poor.

Maybe with the increased competition, Vans will make an effort to improve their quality.

The Millenium master looks as if it will also be a really great aircraft when it comes to the market, fast and sleek :)
Nic

Millennium Master

Skyhi said:
...The Millenium master looks as if it will also be a really great aircraft when it comes to the market, fast and sleek :)
Nic
WOW! Never heard of it... but what a cool looking little plane... and its TANDEM! :eek: Garshdarnit... why couldn't the -12 have been a little tandem - like a light weight RV-4. I bet this "Millennium" will be expensive though.

I had to go online and use metric converters (all hail the good 'ole English system of weights and measures!) to figure it out... but some of the numbers are suspect - but then again this appears to be a concept. An empty weight of 628 lbs. - and and max weight of 992?! Useful load of 364 means you get a choice of a passenger OR fuel! LOL (That or my math is waaay off!).

DJ

http://www.millennium-aircraft.com/

Last edited:
Phyrcooler said:
WOW! Never heard of it... but what a cool looking little plane... and its TANDEM! :eek: Garshdarnit... why couldn't the -12 have been a little tandem - like a light weight RV-4. I bet this "Millennium" will be expensive though.

http://www.millennium-aircraft.com/

If you like cool looking tandems, I recently heard about this one (just had its first flight):

http://www.ionaircraft.com/index.html

Hey, it was born in the city I was born in, so it can't be all bad. ;)

And your Point?

Skyhi said:
Frank,

I think the RV-12 has a really long way to go to catch up with the fast moving market, and that Vans kits in general leave a great deal to be desired when it comes to the peripherals. The Cowls, canopy frames etc. and fairings are really poor.

Maybe with the increased competition, Vans will make an effort to improve their quality.

Nic

Improve their quality? In what respect? The build quality is a product of the builder, not Van's. The kits themselves with the match hole drilling, proven engineering practices, and quality control procedures in the manufacturing plant make Van's products more than competitive. Cowls, canopy's frames?? What are you getting at? Order whatever cowl you want if you dont want Van's. Peripherals??? The Builder chooses those also(not so in a Sport Cruiser) so what is your point? How do you see the LSA market is fast moving? As I see it, the game is set with no rules changes in the forseable future. Just because Van's is not first to market with an LSA, it doesn't mean he is out of the game. If that is the case, what about Cessna? Are they out of the game? Just becase Van's not long ago put out a true 4-seat rather than 15 years ago, is he out of the game in that market?

Hope you have a wonderful experience in the Sport Cruiser. Sounds like a good ship. First time my you break something 'major' in that Sport Cruiser, have fun calling the Chech Republic for the parts. Me? I will be calling Oregon.

Mcstealth

Calling Oregon ... really ?

Mcstealth, My SC3 kit has now arrived.

I would like to compare it with my previous RV8 and RV4 kits ...... but

... there is absolutely no comparison .... the CZAW quality is fantastic. The canopy is a work of art and requires no work to make it fit, the glass and perspex are superb.

These kits are a real wake-up call for Vans and as for spares, if I need them then they are a few hours away.

Although you may be calling Oregon when you have a problem ... where do your spares come from ?

I dont recall Vans having problems with their suppliers in the Czech republic or Phillipines (or will it be China in years to come ?).

Just like most products in the western world, the RV is not really an American product anymore, it's just an American design .... even the Vans coffee mug has Ch*** written on the base :))

Cheers, Nic

mcsteatlh said:
Improve their quality? In what respect?

Hope you have a wonderful experience in the Sport Cruiser. Sounds like a good ship. First time my you break something 'major' in that Sport Cruiser, have fun calling the Chech Republic for the parts. Me? I will be calling Oregon.

Mcstealth

Phyrcooler said:
... why couldn't the -12 have been a little tandem - like a light weight RV-4.
Now that is an interesting idea. Couldn't you take the -4 fuse, mate it with a different wing, install a Jabiru 3300 and have an LSA? Yeah, I know, it'd be sacrilege to convert the -4 to a LSA and one risks lightning bolts from the Almighty for suggesting it, but what about it? My guess is that you'd never get the empty weight low enough....

Perhaps the best possible outcome here is that Van's loves the idea and starts making matched-hole -4 fuse kits :D

TODR

Skyhi said:
Mcstealth, My SC3 kit has now arrived.

I would like to compare it with my previous RV8 and RV4 kits ...... but

... there is absolutely no comparison .... the CZAW quality is fantastic. The canopy is a work of art and requires no work to make it fit, the glass and perspex are superb.

These kits are a real wake-up call for Vans and as for spares, if I need them then they are a few hours away.

Although you may be calling Oregon when you have a problem ... where do your spares come from ?

I dont recall Vans having problems with their suppliers in the Czech republic or Phillipines (or will it be China in years to come ?).

Just like most products in the western world, the RV is not really an American product anymore, it's just an American design .... even the Vans coffee mug has Ch*** written on the base :))

Cheers, Nic

Comparing products from different manufacturers requires comparing the difference in overall value. Not just finish quality

It is very likely possible to find other kits that are more complete, higher finish quality, etc than RV kits but you have to look at more than just the kit quality. You need to look at what you had to pay for it!

How much does an SC3 kit cost???

If the previous post of $60,000 is correct, It doesn't sound like such a great value (to me personally, maybe others feel differently) considering you still have to buy avionics.

SC3 overall value

rvbuilder2002 said:
Comparing products from different manufacturers requires comparing the difference in overall value. Not just finish quality.

Scott, Yes a fair point, but I think the SC3 kit is fantastic value for pilots looking for a high quality product with a very good finish and a straightforward assembly.

Some RV's look good when they are finished, but so many look like amateur builds.

Take the RV8 canopy, look at the gaps, the internal finish around the frame, the bonding .... all areas that many builders make a hash of, even after months of work. The SC3 canopy is a work of art in comparison.

The average RV kit takes years not months and I value my time in this overall equation. Who in their right mind wants to spend hours bashing a canopy frame into shape when the factory can get it right in minutes ?

Maybe there is another distinction between the two kits. We all know that there are literally hundreds of unfinished RV kits sitting in garages around the world that will never fly. Pilots buying the SportCruiser kit are likely to be in the air before the dust settles on their projects.

So reverting to your original point, there is no real value in an incomplete plane when looking from a "cost benefit" pov. It only really has "value" when it is flying.

Cheers, Nic

bswat said:
I flew the Sport Cruiser on a demo ride at Sun N Fun. One thing that is very different about the feel of the controls vs an RV is that the stick forces for pitch and roll where not balanced on the Sport Cruiser. Pitch is much more sensitive. Roll requires a fair amount of pressure to get into a turn. The stick is already fairly tall (but comfortable), so I'm not sure what quick fixes they can do to remedy that. I expect the RV-12 will have balanced stick forces just like the rest of the RV's.

However, I would agree that the Sport Cruiser is a great airplane and I enjoyed flying it very much.

Bill Swatling
RV-7 builder (fuselage)
[email protected]

This year?s sun'n fun? In a magazine article I just read this was one of the deficiencies they claimed corrected in the production airplanes compared to the prototype? Asuming I remeber the ariticle correctly that is.

When I first posted the flight review of the Sport Cruiser my primary intent was to give the forum an idea of what its like flying a light sport aircraft for a relatively low time (300 hour) "Cessna Driver" and never really intended it to be a direct comparison of Sport Cruiser versus RV-12. I'm pleased to say the transition will be easy and fun.

The Sport Cruiser and RV-12 aircraft are designed for two specific and distinct markets with some obvious overlap between the two designs. They are both low wing, Rotax powered, mostly aluminum, tilt up canopy, light sport aircraft.

However, the Sport Cruiser was designed as a production aircraft and Vans RV-12 was targeting the low cost amatuer built aircraft market. This difference in design philosophy alone will drive some of the levels of refinement.

Bottom line on fit and finish is how much do you want to spend?

I've seen some basic RV's that are obviously "amatuer built" grade but they fly just as nice as the show planes that cost $30,000 more in refinements.

If I were in the market for a production Light Sport Airplane the Sport Cruiser would rank very high on my list. I've looked around the web and I see flight schools offering them for rent in the $80 to $90 / hour range. Bravo! If our local flight school ever gets one I'll be the first in line to sign up. However, my own personal finances cannot justify buying any $80,000 airplane and the associated hangar costs that goes along with protecting such an investment.

My hopes for the Amatuer built RV-12 is I can get a basic version in the air for closer to $40,000 and tie it down in the summer and bring it home during the dark cold days of winter and avoid the $3000 annual hangar costs.

Nic you hit on come key points. Every RV builder I every talked to curses the whole canopy building process. I spoke with one RV builder that says he doesn't lock his canopy because he would rather have his radios stolen than build another canopy. I'm betting that a lot of the extra cost in the Sport Cruiser is right there in that gorgeous canopy. But there is the issue. Cost versus refinement. In fact this would make a great "cottage industry" for anyone who would want to design an market an "upscale" canopy for the RV's that comes completely finished.

The fairer comparison among Light Sport Amature built would be RV-12, Rans S-19, Zodiac 601 and Sonex. Each one of those designs is being marketed by respectable companies but each has taken their own personal twist on their designs. Rans will end up being the most expensive of this bunch but I think he has a production aircraft in mind and may one day actually compete head to head with the Sport Cruiser in marketing to flight schools etc. His unique feature is slider versus the Cruisers tip up and there are legitimate arguments for both designs (I favor the tip up). I wonder if the flight schools might actually prefer the slider.

With Vans focus on low cost I look beyond the curb appeal and see design choices that Van made to keep the cost low. Constant chord wings and stabalator, minimal molded parts just to name a few. I hope he retains this philosophy and doesn't succomb to marketing pressure to upscale the RV-12 and price it above the average guys means. In addition he made a couple of other choices that force the RV-12 appearance to be "non-traditional". The cab forward design gives the RV-12 a bit more of a "pudgy" look as opposed to the long and lean look of the Sport Cruiser and Rans S-19. Some of this can be masked with a clever paint job but in any event I am willing to accept the non traditional look for the added benefit of greater visibility over the leading edge of the wing. After all, light sport aircraft are slow enough to actually enjoy the sight seeing process so why not improve the downward visibility? Look at the successful Zenair 701. Is that the plane or did they just put wings on the shipping crate it came in? Yet every 701 owner I talk to loves the plane for what it does. There is more to marketing than refined looks.

I also ride motorcyles and there is no question about the curb apeal of a Harley Davidson. For those that can afford the ride I applaud them because I enjoy looking at their bikes too. But I am just as happy to ride my Honda for 1/2 the price of a Harley and functionally we both accomplish the basic mission.

There is no doubt the Sport Cruiser has greater curb appeal than the RV-12 and I am happy for anyone that afford to own one. But I am convinced I will be just has happy entering the pattern right behind a Sport Cruiser in my RV-12 that I bought and built for 1/2 the price. At the end of the day we both got what we wanted for the price we were willing to pay.

My advice if to enjoy whatever light sport you can afford to fly. The main thing is to fly! I'm grateful for every light sport that gets in the air because it promotes the overall industry and keeps the market alive.

Frank

Work sent me up to Santa Clara to train some employees, so I decided to drive up from San Diego. On the way up today I had the pleasure of stopping by Light Sport Airplanes West in Salinas (an hours drive south of San Jose). There I got to sit in and examine no less than 8 light sport aircraft one after the other, and I have to say the Sport Cruiser would definitely be my pick if I had the means to write a check. I also really liked the Evektor, the visibility out of this plane is simply phenominal. I also love the finish details - especially the way the air vents are laid out in the canopy and the exit vent behind the pilots head into the empenage. I can only hope the 12 will be something close to this example - as it looks like an LSA is going to be the only way I'll get into the air due to the bank account.

Last edited:
Another SportCruiser evaluation

I got to fly the SportCruiser yesterday evening for about 20 minutes. Not long enough for a full evaluation, but here is what I thought. Cockpit was the best yet with wide comfortable seats, adjustable wide-set rudder pedals with toe brakes, and lots of glass. The throttle between the seats was a sporty T-handle arrangement. The engine setup was very quiet and smooth. Steering is by castoring nose wheel. This was my first experience with such a setup, and I now prefer it to direct steering linkage: tighter turns possible, and rudder only steering (i.e. without brakes) works very well with the slightest bit of airflow over the tail. Takeoff roll was not overly impressive, but the prop pitch was set for cruise and the 912S only turned up to 5000 RPM in a 70 kt climb. Climb with two large men, 30 gal. fuel and density altitude of about 5000' was not bad at about 600 FPM. Visibility in the climb was uncomfortable with the nose high blocking all view forward and wings blocking view downward. In cruise the nose was low, and visibility was pretty good. I would prefer to sit a little higher in the cockpit; the tradeoff would be more frontal drag and slower speeds. Opposing run cruise speed at maximum continuous RPM (5500) looks to be about 110KT (128 mph), which is a little better than the Cessna 172 in our hangar. Throttle had to be reduced to maintain 5500 RPM in cruise with the Woodcomp prop. Judging from climb RPM, I would not think you could set the pitch more coarse without degrading climb performance. But, candidly, I have little experience with ground adjustable propellers. This is the S-LSA version, and CZAW would presumably have already determined optimal pitch setting.

Subjective observations - Yaw stability was a little uncomfortable. The airplane wagged its tail for several oscillations with every bit of minor turbulence encountered. The airspeed indicator white and green arcs showed something like 28KT and 32KT respectively. Nevertheless, I felt controllability begin to diminish well above that at about 45KT indicated. While I did not fully stall the airplane, I don't think I'd want to do any low and slow flying below about 55 KIAS. The airspeed indicator seemed to be calibrated fairly closely with the GPS given light and variable wind conditions in late evening. The airplane is sensitive in pitch and roll which made for sporty handling, but I thought it might wear me out on a long cross country if there was any turbulence at all, even light turbulence. Approach to landing at 65 KT. Glide ratio with power at idle was outstanding. I found it easy to maintain trim speed hands off, and extremely easy to make a perfect landing on the first attempt.

At $83K as equipped, the price, sex appeal, and roomy cockpit seem to add up to a pretty good comparative value in today's factory-built S-LSA market. I've also flown the Evektor Sport Star, and I think the Evektor has better handling qualities and better visibility. The cruise speed and price of the CZAW SportCruiser appear to be better.

Last edited:
What a remarkable change. Less than a year ago CZAW used to produce CH-601 and CH-701 on license for the European UL market (MTOW 475 kg), both kits and factory finished aircrafts, probably a total of 1000 or so. Now they produce their own design, possibly one of the best Light Sport planes in existance regarding performance and overall quality, but exclusively for the US market.

Back