What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tip: Cheap, Handy Rivet Containers

cln1owner

Well Known Member
Got this idea from my kids... no, really, It was like taking candy from a baby.

Readily available in the "rott your teeth out" section of Wal-Mart...
1007479iw0.jpg

They are cheap and large enought to hold a lot of rivets... a little white electrical tape holds the lid on and makes a nice label.
1007481kh0.jpg

For storage, I just have them stacked in rows... lined up by type.
1007480ti7.jpg

Single hand operation...
1007482ht4.jpg

1007483hm8.jpg

I bought 25 bucks worth. Tossed the candy away so my kids wouldn't get a hold of it. That's a lot of cavity potential! "But, Dad!?", "Go eat an apple."

That's a good idea. I use glass pepper shakers ($2 each at bed bath and beyond) that work great, but plastic would be better in case I drop one!

Many other options

I use used prescription bottles. With my wife's medical conditions, I have plenty of free bottles. Plus, they come in several sizes. There's not too many things in the parts bags that cannot fit in the bottles.

People with babies use baby bottles. Only problem is that they are glass.

Tracy.

Or try this!

http://www.yardstore.com/index.cfm?action=ViewDetails&ItemID=885

These trays allow you to see the rivets through the spring loaded lid. I placed labels on the lids for each size. Each bin will hold a ton of rivets and they are easy to get out of the container. I also looked at various make shift containers for holding rivets but I found that by the time I gathered whatever container and figured out a way to keep them in one place I was spending more than the price for each one of these handy trays. I bought mine at Oshkosh and got a show price on it. Definitely worth the price for this handy tray.

Last edited:
FREE

I did what Vans uses, OLD plastic 35mm film Containers. Go to your local Photo shop and they give them to you for ZIP !!! Just put a small hole in the top and your good to go.

I use Altoid tins - I've saved a bunch of 'em over the years.
I label the top, side (to see when they are lined up in a storage tray), and inside the lid so I can verify what I've got when I'm using rivets out of it. Works great, and I don't end up with rivets in a wrong compartment.
I don't like trays with dividers - it's way too easy for rivets to jump into the next compartment when I'm fishing some out.

I have to admit, the rivet container that I have cost about $16,000. The up side is that it's made of aluminum & has holes for each individual rivet. They stay in place if you squash 'em. It also doubled as an expensive cleco holder for a while.

And whats more

Its big enough to sit inside and kinda acts as a high speed transportaion system..:)

Frank

I always admired those who take the time to get REALLY organized before starting a project.
Personally, my workbench was, and still is a sheet of plywood on sawhorses. And, all my (leftover) rivets and hardware are still in those little brown bags.

bsacks05 said:
I always admired those who take the time to get REALLY organized before starting a project.
Personally, my workbench was, and still is a sheet of plywood on sawhorses. And, all my (leftover) rivets and hardware are still in those little brown bags.
Bruce, you aren't disorganized, you're just honoring your Family name!

Bill Jepson

Gone Fishing...

I use there for rivets, hardware, and some tools (works great for drill bits and counter sinks). They are super cheap and hold a lot of stuff. I think they are $3.99 each at my local Scheels in the fishing area. All in all I have less than 40 bucks invested.

2-3700.jpg

dan said:
I have to admit, the rivet container that I have cost about $16,000. The up side is that it's made of aluminum & has holes for each individual rivet. They stay in place if you squash 'em. It also doubled as an expensive cleco holder for a while.

Yeah. I just spent anouther $6K so I could store some more used rivets.

Back