What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aerosol Variprime color

rv9aviator

Well Known Member
I am using Dupont Variprime inside the fuselage and would like to know if anyone has found an aerosol self etch primer that matches color with the variprime 615S. It would be nice to spray small parts and stuff I forgot to prime and have everything look similar. Variprime is a tannish green to my eyes for those that haven't used Variprime.

Thanks

Airbrush maybe?

Jim,
I use an airbrush to apply 615S. I have a couple of different siphon bottle sizes depending on how many parts need to be primed. 1 oz bottle is the most useful to me. I use a 3 oz bottle for "big" jobs like a dozen brackets or so. Some guns have a 5ml open cup that is great for the "one-off" bracket that needs paint. Its really easy to mix up a couple of grams of paint. and easy to clean up the gun too.

If you decide to buy one, try to spring for a dual action gun (air first, then paint on further depression of trigger). Also get the compressor fitting so you can drive it off your shop air.

After using the airbrush, a "touch up" gun seems like a huge paint wasting hammer in comparison.

Even a cheapie..

rzbill said:
If you decide to buy one, try to spring for a dual action gun (air first, then paint on further depression of trigger). Also get the compressor fitting so you can drive it off your shop air.

After using the airbrush, a "touch up" gun seems like a huge paint wasting hammer in comparison.
Even this cheapie type will work for what you describe... and as mentioned above, it comes with 3/4 oz and 2 oz jars....

bad250-4.jpg

Check your local hobby store....

gil in Tucson

Hey Jim,

I keep a couple of spray cans of Dupli-Color self etching primer from NAPA in my workshop. The color is a little darker green than Variprime, but it sure comes in handy for small parts.

Regards,

az_gila said:
Even this cheapie type will work for what you describe... and as mentioned above, it comes with 3/4 oz and 2 oz jars....

Check your local hobby store....

gil in Tucson

That's what I use for both VariPrime and Imron when I'm doing small jobs. I can lay it on like glass with that little thing. I have much better luck with it then my big guns as far as quality of finish is concerned. More practice I suppose. Not sure I want to paint the whole plane with it though....

Back