What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Words of Wisdom: How to be around to see tomorrow.....

Phil

Well Known Member
First a little about me.

I'm a private pilot with 140 hours. I'm a VFR pilot and I'm half way through my Insturment training. I feel like I'm okay on the insturments and I feel like I'm a pretty good stick and rudder pilot. (Probably thanks to all the years of Microsoft Flight Sim when I was a kid :))

I (probably like everyone else) read accident reports - many of them. Every time I read them, I (probably like everyone else) think "What were they thinking?" or "I'm prepared to handle that type of emergency." Occasionally you hit one that will make you scratch your head, but most of them are pretty obvious.

Some of them have less time than I do. Other have more than 25,000 hours.

In the back of my mind, I have little doubt that our fallen brothers did the same type studying and felt the same way.

That scares me.

I know it's healthy to never let your guard down, and I doubt those before us knew they were letting their guard down.

So I'd like to start a thread of wisdom. I'm hopeful that ONLY pilots with 1000 hours or more will respond. I'm hopeful this thread will grow as a list of constant reminders that we can all review.

Here's my two questions to those of you who have been around for awhile.

- What steps do you take to reduce the risk of not seeing tomorrow?

- Here's the tough one. Where do you feel like you're taking unneccesary risks? AKA: Over the period of time you've been flying, in what aspects of flight have you found yourself cutting corners or not paying attention?

Hopefully a few of your thoughts or practices stimulate some productive follow-on habits for someone else.

Cheers,
Phil

Phil said:
- What steps do you take to reduce the risk of not seeing tomorrow?

- Here's the tough one. Where do you feel like you're taking unneccesary risks? AKA: Over the period of time you've been flying, in what aspects of flight have you found yourself cutting corners or not paying attention?
Steps I took in general:
- instrument rating (better SA)
- commercial rating (higher standards, less slop)
- SPIN training
- acro training
- multi-engine rating (better powerplant awareness & system management)
- glider training (still workin' on that one)

Steps I take in my RV:
- practice spins regularly
- practice accelerated stalls regularly
- practice slow flight & stalls regularly
- practice dead stick landings regularly
- train in formation flying and practice OFTEN
- fly OFTEN
(all of the above combine to demand MASTERY of the airplane)

Never, ever get behind the airplane. Don't leave stones unturned. If it can be done, do it...with an instructor if you're not comfortable or haven't done it before.

Areas where I find myself cutting corners:
- the GPS is a crutch
- perhaps I trust my fuel flow computer too innately
- have to admit I don't always call FSS before local flights
- perhaps I take my RV's reliability for granted when picking long x-country routes (I don't exactly follow roads religiously)

Unnecessary risks:
- low level flying
- acro
- formation
- spins
- accelerated stalls
- "fight's on"

They are "unnecessary" risks, but I won't stop enjoying them anytime soon.

Last edited:
It will be tomorrow in about 30 minutes

So I will take a shower and try not to slip on soap.

Flying, I do my best to know my limits. I am not hesitant to cancel a flight/trip if the weather is bad or adjust if needed.

When flying in the mountains I have very conservative limits on when to not go or get going before it gets unacceptable.

I am not the best pilot around but my judgement on when not to fly is excellent.

For example, I don't need to learn how to land in a 40 mph crosswind from a gustfront. I need to know that the conditions may exist and either not fly or divert from that area.

Last edited:
It sounds like you are well on your way to being a safe pilot by simply asking the question, 'what can you do to reduce risks'.

I think it's attitude mostly. Dirty Harry probably said it best with "A man needs to know his own limitations". This can relate to weather, acro, weight and balance, use of checklists, fuel reserves, etc etc.
Experience will naturally expand your limitations, common sense should tell you where they are.

steve

"Get homeitus"

Way too many aircraft incidents have been caused by people pushing it to get to their destination. Just remember that getting there is never that important. Always give yourself a way out.

John Clark ATP CFI
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA

At 142 hours TT I was asking myself the same question. That was 27 years ago. My solution was to attend USAF pilot training. Not an option for everyone for various reasons. Looking back I recognize that the training, experience, and SA from the experience could not have been duplicated in the civilian world.

GPS is a crutch

Dan C. mentioned that GPS is a crutch. I disagree with this statement.

Think back over the last few years and tell me how many times the GPS was wrong or unavailable (I can think of once for about 15 minutes in my area). Meanwhile it seems the GS is out of service at my local airfield at least once a month. I find VORs that I normally can pick up at 25 miles and 3k AGL that sometimes just never come in.

The satellite constellation is very robust with a ton of redundancy (and is getting better every day).

I am not saying that you shouldn't practice with the traditional nav/approach technologies. I am simply saying that those old technologies are not bulletproof nor particularly accurate.

Just my 0.02.

bruce
N297NW

What's Your Backup?

I could write for days and days on all of the lessons I have learned, but here's one question to ask yourself that can cover dang near every operational problem...."What's your backup plan?"

It doesn't matter if we're talking mechanical problems, weather, or whatever....if "X" happens, what will you do to stay alive? If you have some idea that doesn't involve magic or violating the laws of physics, then you are probably on a track toward safety.

Oh, and read, read, read.....there are two parts to "currency" - one is satisfying the FAR's with the right number of landings and instrument approaches in the appropriate amount of time. The other is up to you - Continuing Education. I have been reading Richard Collins my whole life, for instance - very good stuff to keep you thinking about how to stay safe. I always have an aviation magazine or book handy, and if not, I can get on the 'Net and read some more.

Aviation lessons are written in blood by those that have gone before us. We owe it to their memories to take those lessons to heart and try not to repeat their mistakes.

Paul

A very good thread... Thanks for starting it.

Here's a couple of simple things that you should do no matter if you are VFR, IFR, etc.

a) set youself a set of personal minima and *don't deviate* from them. If you haven't take the King course on practical risk management, it's an excellent course, can contribute to lower insurance prices (check with your insurer), and opened my eyes to the simple things

b) use the following rule *NO MATTER WHAT*. Never use the airplane as the *only* way to get/go somewhere. What I mean is, you never want to put yourself in to *having* to make that flight. That single item gets more people killed than anything I've seen, read, or exprienced. While it might be a simple example, I know for my wife it re-inforced this standard.

We were about to leave from ATL to the DC area a few years ago in our '97 172R. We took off, got about 40 miles away and I lost an alternator. It was CAVU VFR, but we turned around and went back. There are two 5 word phrases that my wife heard that day that stick with here each time we fly. The first was from me and went something like "Oh xxxx we going back". The second was from the tower as we were coming in to land. Because I informed them that I had an alternator failure and because I didn't know how long I would have battery power, they cleared the airport, declared and emergency for me (which, yes, they can do), cleared me into the most direct runway, and then ask the second 5 words that my wife doesn't want to hear again - "please advice soles on board".

Obviously the above turned out fine, we landed, put the airplane away after a quick determination that is was indeed the alternator and drove to DC.

What you will find is that accidents don't usually happen based upon one event, but more on a chain of events that lead up to them. Living until tomorrow requires identifying that chain and breaking it before it leads to an accident.

Good luck, good flying, and you are doing the right thing thinking about it.

Phil,
I notice your "1000 hours or more" condition. You have been and will be flying with other pilots in the cockpit. It is normal to be awed by some of the resumes, but my advice is is to forget how many hours the other pilot has in his logbook. No question, he knows more than you and has seen a lot, but he too is only human and prone to error. You're in the airplane and you're qualified, so participate. Maintain situational awareness and keep an eye on everything. Don't be afraid to say no if you don't like the plan, and when you do, stand your ground.

How to answer "Soles on board" question

Count the number of people on the plane and multiple by two. This does have exceptions but it is a starting point.

How to be around to see tomorrow....

How to be around to see tomorrow (?)....there is no way to guarantee it.

The best of the best have not made it. Every flight is a calculated risk. Stuff happens, it is the nature of the beast. But we do it anyhow because none of us wants to die of boredom.

But with the attitude "I am going to be here", the odds of being around are very good. What can I do to facilitate that outcome? Part of the attitude is recognizing the risk whether it be an aerobatic show or a first class flight to London in a 777. The official title of such thinking is risk assessment.

Without going into a belabored list of things to do and not to do, suffice it to say flight safety is an attitude. Each segment of flying has inherent risks. Night flying in SEL airplanes is more risky than day light flying, etc., etc. Knowing personal limits is mighy important. Don't try a loop from 500' if you've never been instructed on how to do it, etc., etc.

You say you have a couple hundred hours and really feel good about your skills. That's great, but don't be blind sided by such early confidence. When I came up through that part of growing up, the most dangerous of us had less than 300 hours. Those that survived to that point finally realized they had much to learn. The learning never stops because we are so human. In later years it is a challenge to not become too laid back. This business will bite anyone who is over confident and believes he knows just about everything there is to learn about aviation. Very, very skilled pilots can be more dangerous than the average guy who just wants to stay alive.

That's one reason the best of the best sometimes bite the dust. Another reason is very bad luck. It is a reality and sometimes we have to deal with it.

Not sure if I am supposed to be posting as I am just shy of 1000hours so I guess I dont know anything ;) I cant wait to get 50 more hours and be really, really safe. My smart assed point being that while hours are relevant and there is no substitute for experience, safety is a mind set.
What I remember from the statistics in flight school is that the most accidents occured below 100 hours and above 1000 hours. In fact, I think that question used to be on the private exam. Reason for below 100 hours is obvious. Reasons for above 1000 hours is complacency.
I would say that complaceny has killed more pilots than any other cause. As I approach my 1000th hour, I am reminding myself that I am entering the most dangerous time of my flying. Time to rethink what I have learned and keep learning.

Old and Bold

Here's my favorite. "There are old pilots, and there are bold pilots, but there are no old, bold pilots". Good advice for those who regularly indulge in unnecessary risk. (I meet your minimum experience requirements, x16.)

Last edited:
Get to know one of these guys

Always have a plan and a backup ... I have known several Alaskan bush pilots and I am always amazed at their ability. These guys live on the edge with just a routine flight.

Study what they do and how they do it.

Always Have a Plan

I am always amazed the the depth of experience on the forum. As I read the above posts I kept seeing and thinking, Always have a Plan. Sometimes, just plain bad luck grabs us, but if you Always have a Plan, you are two steps ahead in any situation. In my 34 years of professional flying and my 40 years of flying, I wish I had a nickel for every field I looked at thinking, I can get in there if I need to, or just thought, what will I do if this happens. It keeps long cross countries and local flights challenging.
Another thing Iron said struck me as so true. Read everything you can and learn from it. Alot of it is indeed written in blood.

One thing I've heard more than once is that a pilot is the most dangerous to himself around the 500 HR. mark. I have passed that mark and because of that being drummed into my brain by my flight instructor I am aware that "NO" I don't know everything there is to know about flying. The few times I have been an uncomfortable situation it was caused by "GETTING IN A HURRY". Just leave an inspection cover on the underside of your elevator hanging from one screw and take off at 11:00 at night for Oshkosh. The darned thing kept flipping up then down causing the pitch to change drastically. Leaving one gas cap off and sucking all the fuel out of both tanks or flying into rain just before dark to get home will get your attention. All could have been avoided if I had just slowed down and used my brain. The good news is I'm still here and I learned from it. That makes me very lucky. I don't like being lucky! If I misspelled any words it's cause I was in a hurry. :eek:

Something not mentioned so far is the importance of not stepping out too far at once. Whether this means exposing yourself to marginal VFR conditions, trying out some aerobatics, especially mountain flying, trying to get back home so you can get to work in the morning, taking passengers on a long trip etc...

Take baby incremental steps. Don't get in over your head or behind the airplane. Your guts will always tell you when you have stepped out to far. Learn to listen to them before taking the steps...

Randy

This is my advice,
Forget the bad luck associated with hours, forget what you might have or will pick up through the years, or through the flights. What you need to do is take your time in the early stages, during flight school. Remember the flight school days, don't rush through it. Let it burn into your memory banks. I'm at around 1200 hrs and I still get the DUMB bite now and then. I was in an area over the weekend that put me to a new airport. I was flying along in class E airspace and came on an airport, uncontrolled. Here I was flying right for it, didn't do anything. No radio, no nothing. Then I kicked myself in the behind. I felt stuppid, what am I doing here. I'm now 3 miles out at about 1500ft agl, very stuppid. I tune in the radio, I drop down to 1000ft agl, turn away from the airport and got 10 miles out. I pull myself together and flew up to 2000ft. agl and headed back to the airport and flew over the airport and start circleing, at the same time reporting my possision. A cessna comes into the pattern and lands. I circle about 4 times (overhead mid field) and that allowed me to get my stuff together. I now have the lay out and figure out the traffic pattern, I get my self together for landing and say to myself, ok it's time to land, I do my radio calls and enter into the downwind and land, a non event.

The thing is, I went back to the training days, very important, and figured out the airport and landed, non event. Did I get complacent, no I just went into lala land is all. I think we can get into a mind set when at our local airports, and do things as a non event, things just happen, but when we go outside the box, we start forgeting things, and end up doing the wrong thing and if we don't get back into what's happening, we end up a statistic. So take your time, and remember, we can always delay, circle, get your thoughts and procedures in place. Never be in to big of a hurry, slow down, or delay, make sure of what you're going to do.

Phil said:
I'm hopeful that ONLY pilots with 1000 hours or more will respond. I'm hopeful this thread will grow as a list of constant reminders that we can all review.

Cheers,
Phil
One problem with using number of hours as experience is that HOW these hours are used is more important than the number. I've known instructors that have thousands of hours in the pattern and routine cross countries, but have never flown in the mountains, have flown into less than a dozen airports, etc. I consider myself low time with slightly less than 2500 hrs, but I have flown many cross countries and into grass strips from Death Valley to Leadville, CO. Also flown more than 85 different types of aircraft.

DanH said:
Phil,
I notice your "1000 hours or more" condition. You have been and will be flying with other pilots in the cockpit. It is normal to be awed by some of the resumes, but my advice is is to forget how many hours the other pilot has in his logbook. No question, he knows more than you and has seen a lot, but he too is only human and prone to error. You're in the airplane and you're qualified, so participate. Maintain situational awareness and keep an eye on everything. Don't be afraid to say no if you don't like the plan, and when you do, stand your ground.

I want to echo what Dan said. Years ago I was flying with a very experienced pilot/CFII who wasn't current. Thus, I was PIC. We flew about 25 miles to participate in a search and rescue exercise. At the end of the day when it was time to go home the Weather Channel was showing a very strong line of T'storms approaching our home destination. There is no way I would have tried to fly home if I was alone. However, I felt pressured by the other, more experienced pilot to go ahead. When we announced we were leaving some of the others said "have you seen the radar?" We said yes, but we thought we could sneak in. When we called ground control and told him our intentions, the controller asked "have you seen the radar?". You'd think we would rethink our decision. Actually, I was PIC, it was MY decision. When we called the tower for takeoff clearance, the controller asked "have you seen the radar?" As we took off and turned on course the sky looked ominous. But, hey, it was only 25 miles! As we started descending into our home port, the rain started pelting the plane, the turbulence was severe. We could see the runway (barely) about three miles away. We were sooooo close! I finally came to my senses and announced we were returning from whence we came. We did a 180 and landed safely back at our departure airport. I called my wife to come over and pick us up (it was only 25 miles)!

The point is... if YOU are PIC you have to make decisions with which YOU are comfortable. Even if you are flying with someone more experienced.

Mel,

High hour pilots aren't necessarily safer pilots. But if you're sampling experiences from a 200 hour pilot or a 2000 hour pilot, which do you think has expereinced more hair raising situations? Sometimes skill got them through and other times it was just plain old luck.

It doesn't mean there aren't valuable lessons to learn from 200 hour pilots, there certainly are.

But if I'm going to listen to opinions, I'm going to listen a little closer to the high time pilots. They've had more opportunities to experience tough situations, make stupid mistakes, and refine safety habits that keep them flying.

It's simply about evaluating advice based on the body of work. High time pilots have a larger body of work and they are still with us to share their thoughts. (It doesn't meant they will be tomorrow) So I'd have to say they've been successful and have valuable advice.

You can still get bad advice from a 2000 hour pilot. That's why you have to take everyones opinion (especially on the internet) with a grain of salt and evaluate each opinion based on your own judgement.

Phil

Same trip over the weekend, which was to Seattle, arlington. On the return trip 7 other aircraft in our group were readying to leave at 7 in the morning sunday and there intensions were to go through stevens pass. The cloud cover was reported at BOI at 6000. Me and the wife took off on our own and was planning stevens pass, as we flew south I DIDN'T like the looks of the low clouds through stevens so we went out of our way and went through snoquamie pass, took us extra time, but the flight was beautiful. I took the safer route, and yes the other pilots made it through THEIR way, but I felt better about my decision. Just for a side note: I would rather fly around a student or one that has just got his ticket, why? He has a fear of flying for one and will make a smarter decision, the other is he is filled with the fars and is current on flying. OH! my 1200 hrs has been gotten in the last 5 years.

Transition

Great thread as I am getting back into the world of GA and have some apprehension about taking care of my family, self, plane. I am currently an instructor pilot in F-15Es in NC and have a couple thousand hours cheating death with young aviators. A lot of folks have talked about risk assessment and decision making. The root cause of poorly applying these concepts most often lies with overconfidence, complacency and/or lack of training/experience. So, my plan for flying my RV-10 (Still pounding rivets): Set my own personal standards/limits before I fly for what I will accept with weather, winds, night, aircraft systems, currency, prep time, etc. and hold to them. If I am pushing those limits I need to reevaluate what I am doing. I plan to seek the assistance of an instructor at each step - transition training, first few flights, first IMC, etc. And finally debrief myself - there is no such thing as the perfect flight.

Covenant with yourself

My tac is to pre-agree with myself what I will NOT permit during each flight. Bingo fuel, weather, departure time, drinking, pre-flight, etc. Too many bad things happen to people when they stretch their or the airplane's capability or endurance. Risk management isn't a general feeling - it's a long list of self-disciplined, discrete decisions, anyone of which can hurt/kill you.
Then there's what many of the others here have said: contingency plans.

Back