What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Screen, for you engine experts

JonJay

Well Known Member
Simple question - does an I0360B1B have a screen or does the oil filter take up that job? Cant' seem to find in my Lyco manual.

There are others here more qualified to answer but,

The oil fliter takes the place of the oil screen.
There will still be a suction screen in the sump though.

Mark

Mark Burns said:
The oil fliter takes the place of the oil screen.
There will still be a suction screen in the sump though.

Mark
Thanks. That is what I thought. I assume that the sump screen is only serviced upon overhaul?

I don't know what the official servicing period...

for that sump screen is but I will check it on each oil change with a new engine now that I know about it.

100 hrs.....

JonJay said:
Thanks. That is what I thought. I assume that the sump screen is only serviced upon overhaul?

My O-360 Operator's Manual calls for cleaning of this suction screen as a 100 hr inspection item....

gil in Tucson

The screen should be cleaned at least every 100 hrs. They can plug and you will fry your engine.

Roberta

robertahegy said:
The screen should be cleaned at least every 100 hrs. They can plug and you will fry your engine.

Roberta

Yes, and if the pieces are large enough to get caught in the screen and are not sludge, it is time to determine what is going on. Lycomings are great for sending messages long before they give up the ghost.

Not an expert opinion, just a regular opinion about the ol' beast. :)

Order a new gasket first....

:)
robertahegy said:

Roberta

...and don't forget to buy a new STD-111 (or MS35769-21) copper crush gasket first.... the old gasket should not be re-used....

gil in Tucson

I agree with everything that has been said

Since I was the first to get an answer in I just thought I would say that I agree with every post that has been made after. :)

Mark

Last edited:
Same gasket for 0-320 B

:)

...and don't forget to buy a new STD-111 (or MS35769-21) copper crush gasket first.... the old gasket should not be re-used....

gil in Tucson

Gil,
Do you know if this is the same part number used for a Lyc 0-320 B and does it look like a small copper ring?
thanks,
Chuck Olsen
RV7A
TSP

Check the size...

Gil,
Do you know if this is the same part number used for a Lyc 0-320 B and does it look like a small copper ring?
thanks,
Chuck Olsen
RV7A
TSP

It should the same.... and yes, it looks like a thick copper ring....:)

But if you have one lying around, this is the size info. from Sacramento Sky Ranch should help

Product Information:
MS35769-21 Lycoming part number is STD-111 and is used on the oil sump oil screen.
1.00 i.d. 1-1/4 od x 3/32 annular

gil A

Back