What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Interesting Engine Design

Dynacam principle?

Looks similar in concept to the dynacam model, I think.

The side loads on those sliding vanes must be extraordinary.

Typical problems with such a design would be tip seals (aka mazda rotary) and possible leakage/erosion of the sliding vanes. ANY play in the vanes guiding channel in the rotors would turn them into sledgehammers in short order (just MHO).

The graphic also depicts very small intake/exhaust ports for the design.

Finally, since the engine develops so much horsepower in such a small area, the heat dissipation must be considered.

Still, a fascinating design.

Background

Axial Vector
The Axial Vector is the latest generation of the DynaCam technology. AV owns the rights to what was DynaCam. From what I can see there are some signficant differences but with some ideas in common.

I remember seeing a similar design to Regi's in about 1960, written up in Popular Mechanics. This is a little more sophisticated, though. The swash plate idea is not new, but this does look like a particularly good way to implement it I like how turning the Wankel idea on its side enables more precise control of compression and the timing of compression. I wonder if they will ever build it?
Wikipedia Swashplate

It would be really neat in a RV, would't it?

more precise?

hevansrv7a said:
Axial Vector
The Axial Vector is the latest generation of the DynaCam technology. AV owns the rights to what was DynaCam. From what I can see there are some signficant differences but with some ideas in common.

I remember seeing a similar design to Regi's in about 1960, written up in Popular Mechanics. This is a little more sophisticated, though. The swash plate idea is not new, but this does look like a particularly good way to implement it I like how turning the Wankel idea on its side enables more precise control of compression and the timing of compression. I wonder if they will ever build it?
Wikipedia Swashplate

It would be really neat in a RV, would't it?

H.
There have been a ton of swashplate based engines. The Dyna cam was different than the subject engine since it used pistons that moved for and aft. The engine was very heavy. Interesting that the company that bought the rights is doing stationary engines for gen-sets. There the package volume is more important than the weight.
I doubt that all the sliding plates would ever be reliable.
As an aside the rotary (Wankel) has very accurate timing events. No valve float either. The thing needed for the Wankel is aluminum side plates like the 26B 4 rotor Lemans engine, which would lighten the 13B two rotor 50 pounds! That would be a superb power to weight! they just cost too much right now due to the coatings needed.
Very few of these "new" engines make it to the operational stage. There has to be a really big advantage to get someone to spend the money for start up costs. I wish it wasn't so because I'd love to see some of these things run!
Bill Jepson

What about heat

With all the power being made in a much smaller space, isn't getting rid of the heat going to be a problem. I didn't see any cooling system.

Kent

kentb said:
http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060227/FREE/302270007/1023/THISWEEKSISSUE

For aviation use I am not sure about the trade off for the increased output to the increase of packing H2O with you. But wouldn't it be cool to remove the cooling inlet from in front of the cowl.

Kent

Kent,
I saw this some time ago. This is the first credible effort at a truly different way to recover heat losses. I have seen published charts showing as far back as WW2 they were working on ways to recover the 50% of heat energy lost out the tailpipe! Turbo-compounding has proved successful but it requires complex mechanics to work. (read $$$$) The Crower 6 cycle idea seems a really good idea. I don't know if the improvement in fuel efficency would offset the weight of the carried water. At least in aircraft use. I think the idea would be superb for use in a stationary engine. (generator power unit or pump) I hope the idea proves out in dyno tests.
Bill Jepson

Back