What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

-9 Rudder Questions

txaviator

Well Known Member
There are three (3) rod end bearings on the rudder. I believe the part numbers are 3614 and 3616. The plans don't really specify which is which. Based on the quantity that Vans sent me, I am guessing the two SMALLER rod end bearings go at the upper and middle locations, and the larger one is on the very bottom? Can someone please help me out? The smaller ones are gold in color, and appear to be the same ones used on the elevators. I only have one of the larger rod end bearings, and it is silver. Is the silver one for the bottom location on the rudder? Thanks!

Still a little confused .....

:confused:
Thanks, Roberta. So in summary, the gold ones are smaller than the silver one which goes in the bottom location, right? What I mean by smaller is that the head on the rod-end bearings are smaller on the gold ones, than on the large silver one.?

I understand the length needs to be longer on the lower rod-end, but I just want to see if someone can clarify that the upper and middle locations are the same sized rod-ends as the ones that go on the elevators? The silver one is much larger than the gold ones. The plans give a part number but the rod-end bearings themselves are not marked.

Thanks!

At least on the older airplane models I am familiar with (6,7 with folded rudder,8) the single larger one goes in the bottom of the rudder and the rest are the same size. Don't get hung up on the color. They aren't color coded like clecos. (At least mine were all the same color anyway.) As I have been accused of-------I think that you're thinking too hard about it. ;)

Thanks, Mikey.

I referenced the color since the silver one has a larger head on it. I just really wanted to be sure I had the right quantities, and didn't need to get something else ordered. But then again, it's not like I am about to hang the rudder for the final time either :D

Take care,

Back