What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ICOM 200 & Intercom Installation

Geico266

Well Known Member
I bought an RV-6A to play with for the summer fix up and sell this fall. It currently uses ICOM 200 intercom that is on all the time. I want to install a voice activated intercom. Currently, the ay
udio plugs are in the panel and it is a tip up canopy.

Has anyone done this? How hard is it?

Any suggestions for the intercom? Price?

Thanks for your help.

Icom A200

I am in the middle of installing my whole RV4 panel, including a brand new A200. My choice of intercom is PS Engineering, model PM1000. No particular reason for this generic choice except the avionics shop that I purchased the transponder and A200 from offered it to me for a discount. They mounted it in an airplane and the customer changed his mind. Previously installed but full warrantee. The harness coming out of the PM1000 is the largest in my panel because there is two of everything; PTT and headsets. I am also installing a music input (IPod). I have wired exactly per the instructions for the PM1000 and the A200. Not much to screw up there because the schematics are very clearly pictured. They are available on-line. Last week everything was installed and hooked up but I dismantled the whole panel to paint the panel itself (black) and all the sub-parts that support the radio trays and wire clamps. I will wait until later this week to put it back together again (PPG paint still soft).

The two avionics shops I have briefly consulted with all recommended an intercom instead of direct to radio. When things get busy in the pilot seat I will be able to isolate myself from the passenger and focus on the job at hand.

TIP: The PM1000 has only one auxiliary input. This is limiting. I am routing my EFIS audio output (alarms) into the A200. There are 3 auxiliary audio inputs available on the A200. The intercom would be much better if it had additional auxiliary audio inputs. It seems to me that an intercom should have multiple inputs. Check this out when looking at intercoms.

I?m not sure what other information you are trolling for regarding your intercom shopping.

Sincerely,

BrianVickers, RV4 finishing

Back