What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tools for wing builders

Thermos

Well Known Member
Patron
Hello all,

I just found out that Van's is delivering my -7 slow-build wings just after Oshkosh. I had already planned on a tool-buying spree while I'm there, but now I'm thinking about stuff that would help out on the wings.

If you're building or finished with your wings, what tools (that aren't part of the normal Avery/Cleaveland tool kits) were most useful?

Thanks,

Dave

Get these two Yokes

Get these two sqeezer yokes:

Part #: 7755 Longeron yoke $155 from Avery's (Ouch!)
Part #: 7760 4" No - hole / thin nose squeezer yoke $155 (Doulbe Ouch!)

You will need both of them at one time or another.

Got the yokes, thanks Bill!

Where do you need the #8 nutplate jigs, CJ?

What about those 12" double-offest back rivet sets from Avery? Anybody using those to back-shoot wing skin rivets?

Dave

I used a single offset set when riveting the ribs to the front and rear spars. Buy a second #40 dimple die set to alter (grind) for dimpling nutplates. I also used the tank dimple dies from Cleaveland.
On the subject of fuel tanks, I used those small plastic cups containing Nestle Crunch bits or Reeses Pieces, on top of certain brands of yogurt, for mixing Pro-Seal. One plastic cup is good to mix/use 30 grams of the stuff. Buy the 100 size box of latex gloves. I used an acid brush to spread the PS into the corners after riveting the ribs. A tubing bender and cutter for tank vent and pickup tubes. An ohmmeter to verify fuel sender operation.

Steve

A comfortable chair to sit on while you're drilling, deburring, dimpling, and finally riveting all of the holes. ;)

The #8 nutplate jig is very useful on the fuselage. You might as well get it now if you're going to get it at all.

Back to my previous post, I found that 30 grams of PS mixture is plenty to butter the rib flange and have enough left over to spread over the rivet heads after setting them. I borrowed a nice digital gram scale from a local -6 builder. I bought a bag of standard and wide size popsticks, latex gloves, MEK, and lacquer thinner from Wal-Mart. Plan on about 2 hours per rib including clean-up time. A mechanic's roll around seat is ideal when dimpling wing ribs.

TIP: use the same 25 clecos during your tank/rib pro-seal sessions.
Steve

Steve said:
Back to my previous post, I found that 30 grams of PS mixture is plenty to butter the rib flange and have enough left over to spread over the rivet heads after setting them. I borrowed a nice digital gram scale from a local -6 builder. I bought a bag of standard and wide size popsticks, latex gloves, MEK, and lacquer thinner from Wal-Mart. Plan on about 2 hours per rib including clean-up time. A mechanic's roll around seat is ideal when dimpling wing ribs.

TIP: use the same 25 clecos during your tank/rib pro-seal sessions.
Steve
That's about what I found too. I'd usually mix about 40 grams altogether, though. And I'd usually only do one rib per session. Bought a kitchen scale at Walmart and lots and lots of vinyl gloves. Those little plastic highball glasses you buy at the variety store for drinks for the picnic are perfect.

Also, a pretty good size plastic syringe from the farm store is handy for the bead along the baffle.

I used LOTS of ProSeal...one quart per tank.

I actually had FUN building the tanks.

Thermos, The #8's platenuts are for the leading edge joint plate. Those are the first of many from what I hear. The jig is supposed to be a wise investment. Looks like Dave Parsons agrees!

Tell me, people... is the Coleman lantern fuel really superior to MEK as a cleaning agent for the Proseal?

I have heard it rumored so.

:confused: CJ

I passed on the Coleman fuel due to it's high cost. MEK and lacquer thinner work fine. Remember NOTHING works on cured pro-seal.
I also did the one-rib-per-session method. Work seemed to flow better.

Steve

Is the Coleman fuel any easier on the nose than the MEK or thinner?

I would be willing to throw an extra fin down if I don't get a monstrous headache each time I open a can.

:confused: CJ

Another option with MEK is to get a 3M respirator with the charcoal filter from Home Depot. They're not bad comfort-wise, and you can work with MEK without even smelling it.

I use the 3M respirator too...seems to work pretty well, because my brain hasn't dissolved yet from the MEK, toluene in the primer, and other nasty stuff.

Dave

Double Off-Set

Highly suggest back-riveting the top skins and use the Avery double-offset extended back-rivet set. Works very well. Also confirm the #8 nutplate jig.

I also built the rib-flanger that's in the 21 Years of the RVator to speed up the straightening of the wing ribs.

Jim

Bob Collins, you are one sick puppy. :D "I actually had fun building the tanks"

Sorry I couldn't help myself. I just finished the left tank and would rather drink acid than start the other one. Well maybe just a shot of Jack Daniels before I start.

Jim 90919 RV-9A wings.

tools for wings

haven't seen anyone mention yet the double-offset 1/8" cupped
set (for doing the nose rivets). you'll probably need to grind
one side of it flat, and since that is so, i bought a "used" set of
4 from the yard (cost the same as just the "new" one).

I too am getting prepared to receive my wing kit, so I read this thread with great interest. Like THERMOS I am making a list of tools that I will need for the wings. From this thread, and others, I have compiled the following list, some of which I have, some I don't. Any further additions, revisions or comments before I start ordering?
  • 400 3/32 Clecos (on hand)
  • Modified (or narrow) #3 female dimple die for nutplates
  • Longeron Yoke
  • 4" No-hole Yoke
  • 12" Double-Offset Back Riveting Set
  • Round (faced) Bucking Bar
  • 90-degree Drill Adapter
  • A few 6" #30 Bits
  • 1/8" Double Offset Set
  • #8 Nutplate Jig
  • Pro-Seal Supplies
Thanks!

Last edited:
You can add tank dies, proseal, a digital scale, LOTS of MORE clecos and about one ten pond bag of patience to the list!

In the way of add on's, I just ordered the Dee-lux fuel caps!

I am not sure what makes them deluxe, but for $114 I hope they are worth it!

:p CJ

Tools for Wing builders

Timing on this is perfect - I pick up my wing kit at the shipper tomorrow! I'm borrowing my son's tools (he's on his finishing kit now), so now I know what additional stuff I need him to send! He 'cheated' and got the pre-built tanks. I was going to do the same, but Van's no longer offers them for the 7, so I get to play with ProSeal. Such is life.

Dennis Glaeser
7A Wings (as of tomorrow)

DGlaeser said:
... Van's no longer offers them for the 7, so I get to play with ProSeal.

Doh, really? Even with the wing quickbuild kit? (The one kit I was planning on getting in quickbuild just for the tanks!)

- cc

Pre-built tanks

No, these are the separate pre-built tanks to go with a slow-build wing kit. Apparently Van's had a bunch built, thinking they'd sell like hotcakes, but they didn't. So when they finally sold out, they decided not to do any more. They still have some 9 tanks, but when they're gone, that's it.

There are folks out there who will build tanks for you. Send them the pieces and they send you back finished and tested tanks.

The cheapskate in me is glad I'm not spending the $1200. After I'm done building them, we'll see if my opinion changes...

Dennis Glaeser
7A - pick up wing kit today!

Back