What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Local source for Alodine? Austin, TX

All of mine is the PPG equivelant PPG DX503 (same stuff). I got it, special order, at Affordable Auto Color on Gray Blvd. in north Austin (512-339-8447).

If you're planning to use more than a couple of gallons over the course of building, do yourself a favor and buy some powdered from www.eldoradochem.com Email them for current prices, but I got like 5lbs (enough to do more than one airplane) for $87.

PJ
RV-10 #40032

Powder would be great, but I understand that shipping is the real kicker in the cost. What did you pay for shipping for the 5lb. powder to where?

scard said:
Powder would be great, but I understand that shipping is the real kicker in the cost. What did you pay for shipping for the 5lb. powder to where?

I paid standard UPS ground (from their warehouse in TX are to Norfolk VA) + the $20 hazmat shipping fee. I think my total cost was like $115 or something. Comes in a plastic bag inside a standard 1 gal paint can.

The deal on the fee is that you pay the extra $20 each time you ship anything that qualifies as hazmat. So if you buy a gallon from Spruce, you pay that extra $20. If you buy another gallon a month later, you pay another $20. If you try to ship more than 1 gallon at a time, cost goes up exponentially.

I had looked for the liquid stuff at the local auto parts and boating stores, but they wanted more than Spruce does. Given that 5lbs of powder will make something like 50-100 gallons of the stuff depending on how strong you mix it, I figured it was a fair deal.

If you go the powder route, be SURE to read the MSDS and be very careful anytime you open the can. The powdered stuff is potent, you don't want it all over everything, and definitely don't want to breathe any of it.

I believe Tim Olson www.myrv10.com got his from another supplier, and has both listed somewhere on his website.

PJ
RV-10 #40032

Suppliers in Austin

On my way home from work today I stopped by Gladwin Paint on Springdale Rd. It's in between HWY 183 and HWY 290. They sell Dupont products there. They have quart containers of the alumiprep and alodine for $18.36 each :eek: . The guy told me the local PPG dealer was just down the road. So I drove down the block to Tasco Auto Color on Andtree Street right behind XTC. They had both DX503 and DX533 quarts in stock for $13 and $15. The gallon jugs are on order for $24 and $21 :) . I don't know if this a PPG/Dupont price difference or dealer price difference. PPG and Tasco have my business! :D

Regards,
Mark Harrison

Back