What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cheap Dimple Dies

Jamie Aust

Well Known Member
Looking around the Net , I see that I can get cheap Dies from other places, and for almost half the price !
Now I know what everyone has said in the past " you get what you pay for " , but has anyone used them from "The Yardstore " as they claim to have the Best on the market ?
I noticed that some items from ATS may not be up to Avery or Cleaverland standards, but I still would like to hear from anyone that has used the cheaper ones please.

Im now sitting down, waiting for a flaming :(

jamie

I have dies from the Yard, from Avery, and from Cleveland (not all the same sizes).

The nice thing about the Cleveland dies is that they are stamped / engraved with the size.

The Avery and Cleveland dies (esp. cleveland) look much nicer.

I have not been able to tell the difference between dimples from the different dies. I have a 3/32 set from Avery and the Yard and they function the same to me. I'm interested to hear what others' experience is.

Thomas
-8 empennage
wings on an ABF truck somewhere...

Yard Store

I actuall purchased the Yard tool kit at a discount when they came to my work. So far I am happy with it. The dimple dies work great.

Well I'm going to go with The Yard Store dimples. I will be getting them in the next few weeks and hope to start on my Empennage in 6 - 8 weeks. I will post here if I find any problems with them. I do hope that they will be ok !

jamie

I bought dimple dies and a lot of other tools including a used pneumatic squeezer from THE YARD with great results. The dimple dies work the same as the more expensive ones. They ship the same day usually.

Jim Wright RV-9A wings 90919 Wings.

I've purchased dies from The Yard, Avery, and Aircraft Tool Supply, and they all work great. I have used them on the training kit, while waiting for my emp to arrive. Dies are such a simple machined tool, anyone could make them with a lathe, except me, 'cuz I don't have a lathe or the steel to make 'em.

There is an ebay store called Toolsez that makes them. They are made the same way as the others, and they usually go a lot cheaper than the online stores. :)

You get what you pay for

I have used many dimple dies and find the Cleveland dies the best, both dimensional and finish quality. If you take a dimple from two or three different dies and put a rivet in it, you will find they are not the same dimples. Also heat treat and metal very. Although this was 15 years ago I bought cheap dies and they wore and produced poor quality dimples.

When it comes to tools, especially one you are going to use thousands of time, producing a finished product that can be seen, like the entire outside finish of your plane, you will find you get what you pay for. I have always regretted paying less for cheap tools. A good quality tool is worth the price you pay and you save the money from having to replace the cheap tool later, whcih you will do sooner than later.

Whether hand seamers, fluting pliers or hand shears you get what you pay for. Dimple dies cost half because they are cheaper to make.

Get the Cleveland dies and you will not be sorry. Don?t get cheep on tools. Yes you can save money on a cheap band saw. Yes you don't need the most expensive brand of rivet gun, but don't skimp on something as critical as dimple dies.

Cheers George

Back