What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Subaru 7A Down

Builder ok

Just picked this off of the Eggenfellner Yahoo group:

Jan Eggenfellner said:
Off airport landing with a supercharged 4 cylinder. Somehow the MP went to at least 40" and boost warning lights came on. (We will try to find out why) He throttled back and landed but damaged the airplane and engine.

Builder is in good shape but obviously sad.

Jan Eggenfellner

The Egg STIs have several iterations of the so called wastegate (compressor bleed valve). Some have fitted a cable controlled valve. If you forget to open the valve before closing the throttle, the boost will spike way up because the supercharger is a positive displacement type. Unknown how the stock ECU will deal with this. Typically if it goes way over factory spec, it triggers a momentary fuel cut but shutting off the injectors. There have been several wiring mods to this system and the ECU may not be functioning in the full factory designed mode.

Other engines are using an automatic bleed valve which does not require pilot intervention. This is probably a better idea if it is reliable.

In serious cases, the belt could be thrown if the supercharger sees enough load due to total restriction of the boost air.

rv6ejguy said:
If you forget to open the valve before closing the throttle, the boost will spike way up because the supercharger is a positive displacement type.

This was not the case in this incident, Roger was taking off under full power, FYI.

Glad he's okay

Met Roger last year at OSH, nice guy. Sure glad he's all right, at least physically at the moment. I believe he had the same carbon fiber canopy I have, so I am very interested in how it stood this ultimate test. Anyone know about that? I know he hasn't been flying the 9A long and has to be devastated.

Bob Kelly

Last edited:
Bummed out for certain

videobobk said:
Met Roger last year at OSH, nice guy. Sure glad he's all right, at least physically at the moment. I believe he had the same carbon fiber canopy I have, so I am very interested in how it stood this ultimate test. Anyone know about that? I know he hasn't been flying the 7A long and has to be devastated.

Bob Kelly
I spoke to Roger's wife just now and he's ok, plane is wrecked. We visited him several times before we started our 9A project. According to his wife, every morning he was out there flying before work and enjoying the fruits of his labor. Obviously, he is completely bummed out after putting in years of work. His wife said the canopy may have saved his life cause he crawled out from under it suffering only scratches (and a major case of depression I'm sure).

Roger did quality work from what I could see.

gbrasch said:
This was not the case in this incident, Roger was taking off under full power, FYI.

I wasn't commenting on the accident as I didn't know the facts. Merely an observation.

The only way boost can increase on a positive displacement blower system like this at WOT and constant rpm is due to either the throttle closing or the bleed failing to stay in the control position.
Since these engines use a fly by wire throttle controlled by the ECU, several inputs could have the effect of closing the throttle without pilot command.

Very glad that Roger is ok and hope he decides to repair the RV with his wife's blessing.

rv6ejguy said:
I wasn't commenting on the accident as I didn't know the facts. Merely an observation.

The only way boost can increase on a positive displacement blower system like this at WOT and constant rpm is due to either the throttle closing or the bleed failing to stay in the control position.
Since these engines use a fly by wire throttle controlled by the ECU, several inputs could have the effect of closing the throttle without pilot command.

Very glad that Roger is ok and hope he decides to repair the RV with his wife's blessing.

Thanks for the follow up comments. Unfortunately the plane is totaled, but I am already working on him doing another project. I will keep my comments short, because he told me he will make his own post later after the dust settles, but I will say, after years of being "building buddies" with him, that he did a fine job, both in building his -9A (it was reported incorrectly he had a 7A), and dealing with his emergency.

Nice plane

I was fortunate to fly chase with Glenn aboard for Rogers first flight in my 7. Everything was fine and he did a great job flying it. He was very excited and was anxious to get the time flown off so he could go to Osh.

This has to be very traumatic and I'm sure he is just collecting his thoughts. I suspect he will look for another project after the insurance settles up. He'll be able do it quicker this time.

I suspect the roll bar played the major role in protecting him. The carbon structure of the canopy frame probably help but would not be a major influence. (I saw the struture and was not overly impressed with Mr. Wilhites workmanship. Rogers work on the other hand was excellent).

My money says Roger will be back. He's a good guy that loves flying too much to sit in the background.

Sorry to hear the RV is totaled :(

With supportive friends like you two, hopefully Roger will be back at a new RV project soon. These things are a big shock to the system.

Man, just 40 some hours on it. Has to be heartbreaking. Mine seemed bad enough with all the gear legs, brake rotors, wheel pants, leg fairings, cowling and prop. It was no fun fixing it but better than a totaled one.

MrNomad said:
I spoke to Roger's wife just now and he's ok, plane is wrecked. We visited him several times before we started our 9A project. According to his wife, every morning he was out there flying before work and enjoying the fruits of his labor. Obviously, he is completely bummed out after putting in years of work. His wife said the canopy may have saved his life cause he crawled out from under it suffering only scratches (and a major case of depression I'm sure).

Roger did quality work from what I could see.

The roll bar will save your bacon with these machines. I got a cut in Oct '03 only because I fell on my head when releasing the seat belt. That was dumb but then there is a certain primal urgency to get the heck out of there. :)

Good flying and managing the emergency, Roger. Mighty glad you are OK.

Roll bar

It is good to know THIS roll bar works since I have the same type. If you haven't seen one, it is really small in comparison to Van's. It is several layers (don't know how many) of spring steel with carbon between them and covered with a kevlar outer layer. It is only perhaps 1/2" thick by 3/4" wide. Also, it uses carbon fiber braces near the attach points instead of the center brace to keep it upright in front or rear loads during a turnover. Hope to see some pics of how it fared, but it sounds like it did well. Charles Wilhite never tested one.

Bob Kelly

Roger's bird

gbrasch said:
Thanks for the follow up comments. Unfortunately the plane is totaled, but I am already working on him doing another project.
Glenn: My shop is small 20x24 but it's air conditioned and we're able to work despite the Tucson heat. If you want to bring Roger's bird here so we can disassemble, I have a car trailer and will push my 9 out of the shop for a few days. If enough of us attack Roger's plane at the same time, perhaps we can salvage more than appears.

Lemme know.
Barry 797-0265

Subaru engine failure?

Regis#: 6RP Make/Model: EXP Description: VANS RV6
Date: 10/01/2007 Time: 2308

Event Type: Incident Highest Injury: Minor Mid Air: N Missing: N
Damage: Unknown

DESCRIPTION
AIRCRAFT CRASHED UNDER UNKNOWN CIRCUMSTANCES, HALIFAX COUNTY, VA

This 10/1 accident turns out to be a Subaru powered RV... anyone with any details?

Back