What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

For you guys using automotive spark plugs

hevansrv7a

Well Known Member
http://www.pulstarplug.com/index.html

Has anyone tried these?
They claim to give a much faster but more powerful spark for improved ignition.

Sounds good but...

How do you attach our leads with the threaded caps? I called and the lady said that they don't have any for aviation use.

Pierre

good question..

pierre smith said:
How do you attach our leads with the threaded caps? I called and the lady said that they don't have any for aviation use.

Pierre
How are the people doing it who use auto plugs now?

hevansrv7a said:
How are the people doing it who use auto plugs now?
We use auto wires. I use MSD wires and connectors. Push-on elbow connectors. (Yukon, chime on in here with a "you guys are nuts" reply...)

1300+ hours of car parts on my engine and I can't wait to get rid of my mag.

dan said:
1300+ hours of car parts on my engine and I can't wait to get rid of my mag.

And your engine hasn't dropped completely out of your airplane yet??? How did you manage that? :rolleyes:

opening the can of worms a little wider

Auto plugs, with a mag, what wires?

W/EI auto wires, no problem, but with a mag, howto/whereto connect? How advisable, etc.?

100% auto parts

You-all could go 100% auto parts. :)

Not all the wrinkles are worked out yet, but with the multi millions of them on the road and more and more of them in the air, the Subaru is proving to be a reliable aircraft engine. I paricularly like the ECU, the knock sensors, EZ starting, and the smooth purr cruising along at 4400 rpm.

Like I say, not all the bugs are worked out, but there is steady progress everyday. And by the way, the engine will accept any of 6 or 8 plugs rangine in price from $4 to $12. The jury is out on how long they last, some guys report over 500 hours. I recently pulled the plugs at 170 hours after back firing was reported in the pattern with conflicting reports on how worn they are. Platinums look different going in and coming out so they may be OK. I know for sure they opened up from .039 to .046 so there was some wear.

Back