What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Serial Interconnect diagram

aadamson

Well Known Member
All,

In wiring my panel, I needed to build a drawing of all the serial interconnects. In the process, I provisioned it for what I believe would work with a GDL-90 ADS-B receiever. (NOTE: I'm beta testing the Vertical Power system (www.verticalpower.com) so some things may be a little different than a more traditional panel. This is also centered around the Chelton dual screen environment.)

I also have many things that share a common sources.. For example, I have 3 if not 4 items that take NMEA from the G496 and also about the same from the GPS data from the Chelton GADAHRS.

I devised a way to use "DB" type connectors as a poor mans serial buss. I'll take the source side and daisy chain together the numbers needed, and then on the destination side, the only common pin will be the shield. This should allow easier swapping as needed between the various serial devices. Hopefully, I won't have to swap, but just in case, this method seemed to be the most simple to utilize to facilitate all the sources and destinations.

Anyway, back to the drawing. You can get it from my web site here

It looks like this and is color coded for the various interconnects... It also shows the locations of the serial busses and reflects a panel design using CPC connectors to facilitate simple removal of the entire panel if needed.

serial%20interconnect%20(Medium).png

Hope this helps someone, I know it certainly will help me.

Back