What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Relocating to Portland - Hangars?

ksouthar

Well Known Member
I am in the process of moving to the Portland area (Beaverton actually). I'm looking for hangar space for an RV-9A (hopefully also big enough to accomodate a Rotorway Exec Helo at the same time).

Would appreciate any referrals or suggestions.

Keith
RV-9A
N355RV

You really only have two options on the west side, Hillsboro (HIO) and Starks Twin Oaks. Twin Oaks is home to Vans Home Wing EAA Chapter 105 and would be a great place if you can find a hangar. The Northeast T's at HIO is the other option and they have some very large T's, but tough to find any open. You also have to deal with the Port of Portland at HIO.
I have a friend with T's out in Troutdale, but that is way east, a good 45 minutes, longer in traffice. He has a small T open pretty cheap at $225 I believe. Aurora is another option but south 45 minutes.

I live in Salt Lake and have only been to Portland once--but if you're willing to consider Aurora, you may want to look north of Portland at Scappoose. It was a 45 minute drive from Portland International. I know a guy who may have space in his hangar or who may be vacating his hangar sometime soon.

Mike

hangar space...

is at a premium in the Portland area. If you're willing to drive an hour, you also open up Independence as an option, there's been lots of new hangars put in here and there's also space in a larger hangar put up last year...

Hanger space at Aurora

I keep my Pitts at Aurora and just leased half of my hanger to an Extra 300L for $200 a month - a day late and a doller short : )

But...I know a number of folks at Aurora with space available if you are willing to share...nice thing about that is that it keeps the rent down, Aurora is untowered (good and bad depending on how you look at it) and your right on the same field as Vans and Pacific Coast Avionics for those days when you can't fly.

Aurora is about 20 minutes from Beaverton give or take depending on where in the city you are located, and it has an ASOS you can dial into, which is great for checking the weather before heading out to the airport.

Starks and Hillsboro would be good choices for proximity. Lenhardt, McMinnville less so because of the drive, but both excellent airports, and Independance even more so unless you want to drive an hour plus each way just to go to the airport (but it is a great airport). Also check out Newberg. They are building new hangers there, and it's pretty close to Beaverton as well. Troutdale, Mulino, and Pearson would be worth checking out, but are on the other side of the city, and only worth considering if you struck out elsewhere.

Feel free to drop me a line at 503-939-3018 if you need more.

Drive times in Portland

Can't speak in to hangers since I'm a couple years from that point, but take the drive times quoted here with a grain of salt... it is very dependent on traffic. I live on the west side of Portland, close to Beaverton, yet the drive time to Aurora (20 miles, 95% dual highway) is the same as Hillsboro (10 miles, lots of lights) -- both about 25 minutes, UAO less stressful. That said, once on a Friday afternoon at 4:00, it took over an hour to UAO, and another Friday it took me 45 minutes from Nike in Beaverton to get to HIO. The drive to Twin Oaks is very pleasant rural countryside once you get out of town, and its a great family run, low key operation, also about 25-30 minutes from my house. The drive to Scappoose is fun in my MINI because of the curvy roads, but it takes a consistent 35-40 minutes when I take my dogs to board them near the airport -- a bit faster coming home after dropping them off ;)

The best option is either Sunset or Olinger airparks off of Hwy 26 in Forest Grove, but unfortunately there aren't any houses for sale at the moment -- I drove by on Sunday just to check! If there were, I probably couldn't afford one anyway.

Hope you'll join us for an EAA105 meeting once you get to town, or breakfast at Twin Oaks. Details at www.eaa105.org

They hope to start building hangars at Mulino "soon". The state has take over management of Mulino and will certainly manage it better than the Port of Portland did. Mulino is 30 mi. from Beaverton and 38 minutes, according to Microsoft.

Hillsboro Hanger(s)

New hangers are in the planning stages for (KHIO) Hillsboro Airport. Please let me know your CUSTOM NEW hanger needs - as the national company will build to suit. (heat/water/office/size dimensions etc.)

Last edited:
As others have said, Twin Oaks (7S3) is a great airport near HIO and you don't have to deal with the Port of Portland. Aurora (UAO) is also a great airport that is worth the drive from Beaverton (20 min or so).

Back