What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Auto pilot source switch

Maverick972

Well Known Member
As it seems the switch is not allowing for the ARINC 429 signal to travel to the auto pilot. I believe I have seen a few threads on this issue previously.

What is the preferred switch for the source switch that most have used if I need to replace it with a new one?

Thank you, Sean

Need a lot more information.

What EFIS screens are you using? What 2nd NAV source are you using? What evidence leads you to believe the switch isn't working?

GRT HXr
Garmin 430W

Both units send 429 signal to auto pilot and the auto pilot does not get the signal from either switch positions. They may be crossed and just wanted to see if it’s triple pole single throw that most folks use.

GRT HXr
Garmin 430W

Both units send 429 signal to auto pilot and the auto pilot does not get the signal from either switch positions. They may be crossed and just wanted to see if it’s triple pole single throw that most folks use.

I used a triple pole, DOUBLE throw switch. arinc A, arinc B, rs232 line into the switch; those three sent to either efis or (Trio) autopilot. Make sure arinc A out goes to A in, same for B.

Ok, currently the RS232 goes direct to the auto pilot.
The ARINC data is going to the switch and I suspect never makes it to the autopilot...

Thank you

Ok, currently the RS232 goes direct to the auto pilot.
The ARINC data is going to the switch and I suspect never makes it to the autopilot...

Thank you

RS232: TruTrak says direct gps to autopilot is okay. Trio says to switch it thru efis if using efis.
ARINC. Time to use an ohmmeter and trace wires. Make sure A goes to A, same for B. In software use ‘low speed’, all 3 boxes.

Back