What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

25 hour flight test report

Build9A

Well Known Member
For those who might be interested here is a list of things that needed to be addressed during my first 25 hours. I am a first time builder. You will see that only one item was related to a component of Vans QB kit. The rest were related to 1st time builder errors or faulty parts.
1. Replaced new (bad out of the box) alternator (actually before 1st flight)
2. Fuel sender worked intermittently and then quit. Troubleshooting identified the problem as wire chaffing and grounding.
3. Had to adjust the exhaust 3 times to prevent chafing on lower cowling or engine mount.
4. New turn coordinator quit after 10 ?15 hours. Supplier replaced it.
5. Mystery quickbuild tank leak showed it?s ugly face on left fuel tank. Gosh darn it!! @#$%&*^%. Currently working up the energy to remove the tank and leak test. This is a good reason to wait for paint or be sure you have thoroughly tested and sealed fuel tanks. This leak didn't show up untill about 8 hours of flying. I have no clue why. Maybe it was at a high point in the tank and I didn't fill it all the way at first or maybe it slowly found it's way to the bottom of the wing.???(yes, I kept flying it. It's a very minor leak)
6. Air in brake line.
7. I had to tighten and secure oil temperature probe. Small leak around probe.
8. Rewired right hand strobe connector due to inferior first try.
9. Engine plug installed when converting from CS to fixed pitch prop on new engine started leaking oil at 20 hours. Oil showed up on windshield. Quickly returned to airport, pulled prop and found the plug cockeyed. Thank goodness it didn?t come all the way out. This could have been a major problem. This is 1 of 3 items I had my A&P complete for me. I don?t think he whacked it hard enough. Replaced the plug, whacked it harder so it is permanently set.

I thought some of the new builders might like to see some of the squawks that can happen. I know that I used to read all about this kind of stuff. Also, the airplane flys great.

Last edited:
Back