What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RE:Dynon/EZ/Garmin Panel

fstringham7a

Well Known Member
RE:Dynon/EZ/Garmin Panel

Thought I would share with the group a pix of my panel in it's lates stage of development. Empty trays for Dynon EFIS/EMS, Garmin centric nav/com/EZ Pilot and Altitude hold. Back end will be wired up with Fast Stack Hub and wiring harness. I am also using Aeroelectric Z13/8 wiring architecture. Making the big cut and sizing just right was a one week process. Jig saw rough cut then file-check.....file-check....file-check...you get the idea. I spent today determining switch locations/drilling/and mounting switches.

[ Frank @ sgu RV7A "NDY"

Last edited:
Nice Job Frank 2!

So no steam gauges?...This is for IFR right?...

Looks nice...:)

Frank 1

frankh said:
So no steam gauges?...This is for IFR right?...

Looks nice...:)

Frank 1

Frank1

Isn't it interesting what one can do with an experimental aircraft.....I am still trying to decide on the need (hate the old age rules) for those old steam gages used for back up. Also the HSI/CDI...VOR.... old school is up for grabs. :confused: Man I am such a rebel!!!!!!!! :rolleyes: If I was already IFR current on the ticket it wouldn't be as big a problem compared to getting training in a craft so far ahead of it's time!!!!!!!! :eek: Anyway I still have a ways to go on this panel.

Frank2 @ SGU RV7A New Age IFR Panel being put together!!!!

Hmmm....

Frank 2,

There are a couple of things that spring to mind.

1) Your Dynon can go on the fritz and if it happens in cloud it will certainly get your attention! Now I know the autopilot is your backup and provided it egaged reliably then you should be OK...But remember you have no visual reference..I.e you can't see what the A/P is doing...Or can you?...On the Trutrack Pictorial Pilot you have a turn coordinator display, so provided your ASI (steam guage) and ALT are stable you know your OK.

I dunno my friend but unless I had a backup form of artificial horizon I'm not sure I personally would be comfy flying it.

Maybe some guys with more IMC time than me could comment??

2) When learning you will have to demonstrate partial panel (my DE was delighted I hade been so thoughtful as to have provided a large square cut out to blank out the Dynon..:)...).

So your CFI Nazi will cover up yer Dynon...Now how are you gonna fly? With the trutrack and 2 steam guages ..No big deal. In fact its a pretty seamless transition, but unless you got a backup horizon I think you'll loose control in less than a minute.

Hey I may be full of it but if not I'm sure you'd rather know this now rather than later right?

Frank 1

If he puts a D180 on the right and a D100 on the left, he has two completely independent EFIS units, both of which can have internal batteries and run independent of the electrical system. There's lots of ways to have a backup in a plane other than steam gauges.

Also, if you want to do partial panel with a Dynon unit, no reason to cover it up. Just press the left button for two seconds to turn it off. When ready to go back to full panel, just press the button to turn it back on again. The horizon will take a few seconds to initialize in flight, but it will work fine after that.

Don't tell me

Your selling Dynons arn't you?...:)

Good point, I guess I didn't see that Frank was doing that in his original post.

Cheers

Frank

PS I LOVE my D100..:)

dynonsupport said:
If he puts a D180 on the right and a D100 on the left, he has two completely independent EFIS units, both of which can have internal batteries and run independent of the electrical system. There's lots of ways to have a backup in a plane other than steam gauges.

Not entirely true. The two dynon units would share a single pitot-static system, whose failure would take out both Dynons. Also there is a common code base between the units.

Last edited:
scottg said:
Not entirely true. The two dynon units would share a single pitot-static system, whose failure would take out both Dynons. Also there is a common code base between the units.

Yes, but that is also true of a traditional steam gauge arrangement. You can have alternate static, but few guys choose or even have alternate pitot sources unless the are operating the heavy iron.

BTW - I am a steam gauges guy. No glass in my cockpit, but would love to have an EFIS if mama lets me spring the bucks.

RE:Brave new world

Thanks to all for some interesting points on this glass panel/steam gage/backup issue.........

I know as HS Chem teacher way back in the early 70's I told my students that brought in those fancy new untried untrue unreliable hand held electronic calculator that they would have to STILL learn to use the good tried and true slide rule. What if the Batteries die....what if the leds go blank....what if...what if....and Yes.....they could only use the slide rule during tests. :mad: Will you guessed it by the mid 70s I would pull out the old slide rule and use it as a point when teaching the student about error factors/accuracy/precision.

Now with that all said I know that airplanes and slide rules have a different safety factor so.....I will have backups :cool: .....I am just not sure it will be steam gages : :D .I do know that finding a CFII to train me for IFR in a plane I built,with modern tech, is going to be interesting!!!! :confused:

Frank @ SGU RV7A "NDY"

Last edited:
fstringham7a said:
Now with that all said I know that airplanes and slide rules have a different safety factor so.....I will have backups :cool: .....I am just not sure it will be steam gages : :D .I do know that finding a CFII to train me for IFR in a plane I built,with modern tech, is going to be interesting!!!! :confused:

Frank @ SGU RV7A "NDY"

There's a few of us flexible type CFII's out there.... The plan is this fall to teach instruments to a friend of mine in his Scooby powered :eek: , Dual Dynon, no steam -7A. Personaly, I'm looking forward to it! :)

If you can't find someone, I'll do it. But your commute might get old.... :D

N908RV said:
Yes, but that is also true of a traditional steam gauge arrangement. You can have alternate static, but few guys choose or even have alternate pitot sources unless the are operating the heavy iron.

BTW - I am a steam gauges guy. No glass in my cockpit, but would love to have an EFIS if mama lets me spring the bucks.

Sorry, I disagree. When dealing with failures in IMC, the biggest threat is loss of all gyros. Historically, single engine aircraft have two independent systems. The AH and DG are vacuum driven, and the TC is electric. There is no single point of failure with this design.

The loss of pitot is usually no big deal. Instrument pilots are taught that pitch + power = performance. If airspeed is lost, then it can be estimated by the power applied and pitch of the aircraft. The loss of static (frozen port) can be handled by breaking the face of the VSI or activating an alternate static port.

The Dynon units REQUIRE the pitot-static system for attitude display. If two Dynon units are installed as the only flight instruments, then the pitot-static system becomes a single point of failure that could render ALL flight instruments inoperative. In solid IMC, this will most likely result in a very bad ending.

Do not take this a criticism of the Dynon units. The most recent addition to my RV-6A was the replacement of the vacuum DG with a D-10A. Its main function is the electronic HSI, and the secondary function is to backup the vacuum AH. In this role it has performed flawlessly. With this installation, there is no single point of failure with the primary flight instrumentation. I have nothing but praise for Dynon's products, technical support and commitment to their customers.

Minimal IFR Equiped aircraft

Nick

Great to hear that there are is a real CFI out there.

My panel in it's near final state will be EFIS Dynon D100...EMS D120 and their new hs 34 Module interface to the GNS 430W , Trio EZ/Altitude AP, Garmin GMA 340/GNS430W/SL40/GTX327, and.........???????I do know that I will probably add a vertical card compass. From there I need advice from you or the group as to what other cost effective backups would make you fell comfortable in an IFR configured aircraft. I know I will need the flame suit for this comment but I believe that the many new portable ..hand held...offerings give us a very cost effective-simple-useable backup to our 747 panels. Are there any FAA guys in the house!!!!!

I believe that Van's never meant the RV family of aircraft to be a hard IFR airplane.
But I would like to get my IFR ticket in my plane to first be a better more proficient pilot, to be able to utlize the IFR system when the need arises, to be able to handle those unexpected IFR situations that may arise, and to be able to take off or land at distanation or departure airports that have minimal IMC but good weather along my route of flight. In other words I will only consider flying when the weather is either great to somewhat minimally marginal. Heavy weather such as high winds/icing/convective action will keep me on the ground.

Thanks for any and all imput from you or the group.......My wallet just can't wait to spend more $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$Got to close this fast as my wife (the check book) is in the room.

Frank @ SGU RV7A Panel/Wiring........"NDY"

Last edited:
Back