What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Anyone been in to Bay Minette (1R8)

Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
Hey Southeasters...

I'm looking for a fuel stop from Houston to the Cape for this week, and it looks like Bay Minette is a perfect halfway point. Airnav doesn't list a fuel price, and their phone numbers are all wrong, but I eventually got an old feller on the phone that said he thinks the city had a "brand new self serve pump and was charging $3.39 - the best price on the gulf coast!" It certianly woudl be good if true....

Can anyone confirm or deny?

SSSHHHHH!!!

DeltaRomeo said:
Is Iron going to finally see a shuttle launch in person?

Hope so.

It's bad luck to say things like that Krash! Dang, there goes the launch weather.... :p

In truth, yes - hoping to catch one for real this time - I've got this flight off (unless something unusual happens), so I better take advantage of it.

Iron

Good Luck Paul. I'll put in a special request to the Weather Gods. After the Texas RV Fly-in, they owe me one.

Paul,

This is basically my back yard and I've been into Bay Minette. It always seemed like a ghost town to me. Not too sure about the "new" pumps., this is news to me. If it works out for you great, but if not, Evergreen (GZH) and Brewton(12J) are both very decent and both have cars (well Brewton doesn't but the FBO guy said you could use his). GZH is 050 degrees for 51nm from 1R8 and 12J is 075 for 40nm. 12J is sitting at $3.99 as of today and GZH is sitting at $3.50, also as of today. I like them both because they have multiple runways, but the Navy uses both for bouncing(T-34C), no big deal though, they'll go overhead delta when you call in.

Probably more in line with your route and about the same distance is Foley, AL, 5R4, 27nm south of Bay Minette. Today they're sitting at $4.10 today, no car, but local resturants will pick you up.

I would meet you somewhere but I'm leaving the area to go to Idaho for a wedding (flying commercial this time), heck, if I had more time I'd recon Bay Minette for you.

Good luck, let us know how it works out. If Bay Minette really is that cheap then I'll be buying from them for now on.

Thanks Tobin - I figured you'd probably be up on the local stops! I'll add all those to my kneeboard, and give 1R8 a first crack, with Foley as an alternate. It'll just be a fuel stop, then on to Cocoa Beach. Have a safe trip on the airlines!

Paul

Back