What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

equipment for ifr

rvdave

Well Known Member
I admit I'm green here but am looking to equip my RV6 for ifr. Question is regarding whether I need a marker beacon receiver as I am ordering an SL30 which I believe includes a glide slope receiver? So because I am unlearned at this point will I need a MB receiver w/ OM, IM, MM lights?

Dave Ford
RV6

The simplest way to add marker beacon indication is to add the GMA340 Audio Panel. You get a first rate audio panel to begin with, plus it includes the marker beacon lights. It's a sort of cheap "win/win" combination.

ifr equip needed

I assume you are IFR rated at this time? If you are you know you only need the NAV equipment that you plan on using. If you are really serious about IFR you would no doubt have VOR/LOC/ILS capability and a marker receiver. Of course an IFR GPS would be nice. Some of the new IFR GPS have everything listed above in one box!

Marker beacons are associated with a LOC and ILS approach. The substitute can be a locator (NDB), crossing radial (if shown on chart) or radar can call the OM if there is radar coverage. The nice thing about the SL30 is you have a standby VOR bearing display. However not all LOC/ILS approaches publish a crossing radial to identify the OM.

91.205(d)(2) Two-way radio communications system and navigational equipment appropriate to the ground facilities to be used.

So the min IFR (com/nav) equipment would be one com radio and one VOR, and a mode c transponder, nothing else. Of course you would only be able to do VOR approaches. If your VOR receiver is a LOC receiver also (which the SL30 is and more) you can do LOCALIZER approaches without an OM if you have another way to identify the FAF, by crossing radial (if noted on chart) or radar fix by ATC. To get a crossing radial with one VOR/LOC receiver you need to switch between the VOR freq and back to LOC. Not ideal but it has been done. The SL30 as I understand it is really two nav radios in one, displaying the standby VOR bearing on the digital display while still on the LOC is shown on the NAV head? OM for the ILS is the same as the active freq (LOC approach). You can fly an ILS without the OM or sub-ed method of location, but it is not legal to my knowledge. It is required equip for these kinds of approaches. On the LOC, when you intercept the glide slope you start down. The OM is just a backup to verify proper altitude, position and start time as an optional back-up/situational awareness. With GPS map displays this is not as important as it was.

ILS, if you remember your IFR questions, "where is the FAF on an ILS approach" Many point to the X on the approach plate, but this is not true. The FAF for the ILS is at glide slope intercept and min glide slope intercept altitude. Do you even need a marker beacon for a Cat I ILS? I know the middle marker is not needed and the inner marker was never needed for a Cat I approach. What about the outer marker? Yes, you still need to be able to ID that fix somehow (radar, x-radial, GPS).

Are you going to have an IFR (TSO'ed) GPS installed to meet the C 146a (en-route only or en-route/approach) than you could ID the FAF by the GPS. However if you have an IFR GPS you would likely use that anyway and not the VOR or LOC. The ILS is still the grand dad of approaches and still they way to go to get down to 2400'-1800' RVR.

As far as audio panel it is an expensive way to get just a marker receiver. What about a kr22 or a stand-alone Cessna MB receiver. You can find them for cheap. An audio panel is nice but there are ways around that, especially when you only have one COM and maybe one NAV. Most COM radios have aux audio input so you can pipe audio from other sources, like a NAV or a warning tone. Check eBay for used audio panels for little money if you think you want one. The thin Narco or king is nice and go for less than $100, with MB receiver. PS engineering makes a cool little intercom with a built in audio panel that handles 2 coms and 2 navs.

Cheers George

gmcjetpilot said:
PS engineering makes a cool little intercom with a built in audio panel that handles 2 coms and 2 navs.

Cheers George

Which PS model were you thinking of?

ifr equipment

Thanks George for the reply,

Here's what I have right now-Garmin 300XL which is approach and enroute legal I believe. I am not currently ifr rated. I am ordering the SL30, so from what you are saying the 300XL can identify the OM so I do not need a MB receiver. I also am ordering the required annunciators for the 300XL along with a OBS/CDI. So with the vor/gs/loc receiver of the SL30 for vor/ils approaches and the capability of the 300XL is this a decent minimum setup for this RV6? I also want to get my rating in this plane so am I able to do the required approaches with this setup? Thanks,

Dave

intercom/audio panel in one

Brian130 said:
Which PS model were you thinking of?
Brian: PMA-4000 http://www.ps-engineering.com/pma4000.shtml

Dave: You are all set-up full IFR, as it sounds like you will need it for the rating. Best of luck. Get an autopilot, you will be able to use it a limited amount for training and the check ride. A must have for real IFR single pilot. The RV will be a hand-full IMC without an autopilot. I am a CFI, CFII, MEI (current but inactive) and have taught many a student in C-172's but never in a RV. I did have my old RV-4 setup for IFR and flew it IMC on occasion without an autopilot. Let's just say it is not C-172. One tip is if you have access to an approved simulator and the instructor has any talent in running it, it is a great tool to getting skill quicker and with less cost. Of course now a days there is going to be more mis-match in aircraft performance and instruments. Since most new homebuilts have EFIS, and GA sim's still have the old six pak. May be the sim is not something you can use to the max allowed, but a small amount even if not a match to your instruments or aircraft performance is still good. Things can be slowed down, stopped, re-set (without flying back out). Real good for practicing procedures and emergencies. I understand the ADF is not required for the check ride. Too bad those are the most challenge. :eek:

It is a challenge getting the rating but well worth the effort and will make you a better safer pilot. Best of luck.

George ATP, CFI, RV-4, RV-7

Last edited:
Another Question

All good stuff, but it brings another question to mind (just to add to the long list)

Does the SL-30, being a Nav/Comm, allow you to use the radio at the same time while using the ILS or Vor? Or is a second radio required?

Thanks

Hwood

George,

I do have a single axis wing leveler, do you think it necessary to have altitude hold ( maybe a stupid question)?

The SL30 while also able to monitor a second nav standby freq. can also monitor a standby com frequency, which will be a nice feature.

Dave

Dave, altitude hold was some of the best money I ever spent. Just my opinion, but once you get it it makes flights so much less work (on trips). I use it about 25% of the time on short hops and about 95% of the time on a 'long' trip.

It's a push button under my roll autopilot:
IMG_5823.jpg

Best always,

ifr equipment

Doug,

I wondered if you had ever gotten your ifr rating, I thought you had mentioned you were studying for it at one time?

Dave Ford

SL30 Capability

Hwood said:
All good stuff, but it brings another question to mind (just to add to the long list)

Does the SL-30, being a Nav/Comm, allow you to use the radio at the same time while using the ILS or Vor? Or is a second radio required?

Thanks

Hwood
Yes using radio at same time as ILS or VOR. No for second radio required to do above.

With the SL30 you can.

1. Listen and transmit on Frequency #1
2. "Monitor" frequency # 2. If something happens on #1, it overrides anything that might be on #2.
3. Tune in NAV fewq #1 and have it drive a CDI
4. Tune in NAV freq # 2 and track waht radial you are on, thus determining and intersection using radial a on#1 and the intersection of it of radial y on #2.

Very versatile radio.

James

Back