What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

dynon EDC location in cockpit

henriquerv9

I would like to hear from guys who installed an EDC inside RV7 cockpit.

what the best place to install it? i would not like to install it in wing tips due to all my wiring is done.

Any recomendations will be really apreciated.

regards

Henrique
RV7 Mattituck IO360 FP
Final assembly

Mine is mounted to the fuselage bottom skin just behind the baggage bulkhead. With leveling shims of course.

Has anyone put one in the wing on a inspection plate ? I don't want to fish
any more wires to the back of the airplane, and the wires are too short
to make it all the way to the wingtip ? do they have to be placed under
the fiberglass ?

Danny..

It can be mounted inside the aluminum wing. Make sure to get it level with the panel unit and away from steel parts like the aileron push rod and wires carrying electrical current.

Mel said:
Mine is mounted to the fuselage bottom skin just behind the baggage bulkhead. With leveling shims of course.
Not to disagree with Mel, but if you ever put in an altitude hold servo, it's likely to go right there. It could be a potential issue (ferrous stuff nearby).

Search

Cockpit. Why bother you might as well just use the internal mag unit.

There are many threads on this with pictures and everything, but the farther you get away from the engine the better, wing tip or out towards the tail is fine, but where is the temp PROBE? The old dynons pigyback the temp probe off the EDC unit (mine does). Where is your temp probe going. Do a "search" on EDC or Dynon magnetometer or the full part number EDC part number.

The tail area is fine, about equal to the wing tip, may be better who knows. I put mine in simular locations as every one else off the top of a frame about mid way back. My temp probe is in the tail access panel on the right side.

Down side with the tail area mount for sliders is it is affected a little with the canopy back, but who cares.

There is steel everywhere and the best place to put the unit is about 60 feet behind the plane's rudder, but that is not practical. (you think, ha-ha) :rolleyes:

Last edited:
mid wing

I have the d-180 so the oat probe connects.
directly to the ems harness.. its in the copilot vent (close).
my navaid servo is mounted on the last rib on the right wing tip with a rod going to the bellcrank, so my edc is behind the inspection cover for the left wing , not mounted to the plate, I hope it works, but its not too close to the steel.. the rv9 wings were too long to get it out to the left wingtip, and I didn't want to fish any more wires to the back.. wish I would have put conduit to the back of the plane through
the baggage area.. finishing up the wheel pant transition areas,
ready for the scales.. time mags and 1st start once I get the weight I can
put the fuel back in.. sure seems close.. June 13th will be three years..
hoped to make it , exwifes birthday :) she has been gone 4 years.. :)

Danny.

Last edited:
Back