What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

1st annual ice cream social, Inyokern CA (IYK)

AX-O

Well Known Member
Just wanted to see how many people would be interested in coming to IYK for free Ice cream (on me). I finally have a fridge in the hangar. This airport is kind of dead and I want to see planes on the overhead. I was thinking June 16th if nothing else is going on. By the way, I spoke with the airport manager and ask if he could lower the gas prices for the RV guys. He told me that he would go down to $3.99 per gallon of Avgas. If you are interested please reply to the post.

IYK airport

Thanks

YES! :D I scream for ice cream...

Thing is, I can't make it on June 16th. In-laws in town, and I'm getting dragged to a lame musical in LA (this one really is lame).

Almost any other time and I'm there. How about the previous weekend, i.e. June 9th? I should be able to drag a few others from the Chino Power Squadron to deliver that overhead thing you wanted...among other potential demonstrations of skill and cunning. :)

Ooh! Ice Cream!

Axel,

A little "blast from the past" for me, I spent many years flying scheduled service into IYK. Sounds like fun, when you firm up a date, I'm there.

John Clark
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA

Dan,
June 9th sounds good. If you can drag the crew down, that would be great. Free ice cream and $3.99 per gallon of fuel is not too bad. Sorry about your June 16th commitments :p

SoCAL Flyout?

Let's make this a SoCAL Flyout for June 9th to Inyokern for Ice Cream! How about we first do lunch (11am) at Cal City then into IYK for dessert?!? Two's in! :p Rosie

PS: Congrats to Axel on his recent engagement to Alisha :D

Count me tentatively in, if I can get away from work. I'll be the slow poke in the crappy old Citabria. Ice cream should be nice and soft, and very scoopable, by the time I show up.

Rosie said:
Let's make this a SoCAL Flyout for June 9th to Inyokern for Ice Cream! How about we first do lunch (11am) at Cal City then into IYK for dessert?!? Two's in! :p Rosie
Rosie, if you want to rendezvous over L00 around 10:45 for the Cal City arrival we'll be on company...

Axel, lunch at L71 is on me if you fly your 140 down.

Last edited by a moderator:
June 9th, L71 at 1100 for lunch and ice cream after 1200 at IYK it is.

Dan,
I have to check the DA around that time. My C-85 powered Cessna 140 has a hard time climbing over the red rock national park area. Oh why Oh why must I climb 2000 ft above it?????

This should be fun, can't wait.

"All aircraft are requested to maintain a minimum of 2,000 feet above the surface of..."

The key word being REQUESTED (not required). As if the highway running right through there is so "conscientious" to begin with... :rolleyes:

I wouldn't hesitate to fly right down the highway. Or I'd fly down the river bed, well clear of the area.

When: Saturday June 9th from 1200 to ??
Where: IYK Hangar 12
Why: We all love ice cream

Important to know:
- We are all pilots however, I do want to point out that the airspace around here has a lot of MOAs and Restricted airspace due to the base.
- R2506 is only active from sunrise to sunset Mon-Fri so no issues there.
- R2505 is restricted continuously and expands from ground to unlimited altitude.
- You can call Joshua on 133.65 for Flight Following or Sqw 1200 to fly in the Isabella MOA.
- You will be very close to R2505 during your approaches East of the airfield so be conscious of that.
- Pattern altitude:3455 ft. MSL
- CTAF/UNICOM:122.8 (click 3 times for field info)
- More information regarding IYK can be found here. Click for IYK info

Other:
- Some people will meet in Cal City (L71) at 1100 for lunch prior to coming to IYK.
- The price of fuel will be lowered from $4.45 to $3.99 per gallon of Avgas.
- Please reply to this post if you are coming so I can get a head count. I need to know how much ice crean to buy, how many chairs and so on.
- I will have a hand held radio, you can call me at "Scorpion base" on 122.8 if you need anything like landing runway or anything else.

site1049.jpg

Head count:
Dan C. (1)
Paul & Victoria Rosales (2)
Wingnut (1)
Hog (1)
Wes King (1)
Evin Cameron (1)
osxuser (1)
Debris (1)
Pop (1)
G-force (1)

Total = 11

Last edited:
Scorpion Base, Sharpie's in...and I'll try to remember to bring a few folding chairs.

dan said:
Scorpion Base, Sharpie's in...and I'll try to remember to bring a few folding chairs.

Don't worry about the chairs, unless you just want to bring one that has been molded over time to your body features. I really appreciate you guys coming up. This airport needs a few airplanes in the pattern.

Replies are coming on the SoCal-RVlist. Not sure if you're on there, Axel. If not, add:
- Wingnut
- Hog
- Wes King

I'm going to call "in" if you don't mind a Cessna coming in. Think I got the day off, and haven't gone flying in a while.

Any Chauffeurs for hire?

I would love to attend my friend Axel's icecream social...does anybody have an open seat for a 220 lb. passenger? My only sticking point is I HAVE to leave from and return to either Whiteman or Van Nuys and return by 2pm for my sisters wedding in Tarzana. If anyone is leaving from there, or willing to pick up in the morning and deliver me back to Whiteman by 2pm, I'll buy you 20 gallons of fuel for your trouble. Thanks.

Mike

At least one person from WHP is going...I'd try posting to SoCal-RVlist. I don't think too many flyers from SoCal monitor VAF regularly.

On the menu for this Saturday:

-Vanilla and chocolate ice cream
-Chocolate syrup
-Ice cream cones
-Root beer (sorry guys, you have to fly back home. I will have the real beer)
-Cherries
-Nuts

If you would like a different flavor of ice cream and/or different toppings, let me know. Once again, be sure you know the airspace. Traffic patterns to the East of the airport need to be tight.

I wish I could join you guys, I jump at any oppurtunity to drool over RV's....I need all the motivation I can get. :eek:

It's not all bad though, I'm flying out to Ramona and then Chino to check out the museums.

Have fun.

John
Planning to build an RV....someday

Thanks to Bob Owens, i will be able to attend! Now on to important buisness...no carmel or butterscotch topping ?!?!?!? :)

If you plan of buying gas, the sign on the field will not have our price. However, it will sell for $3.99.

Back