What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon Warranty

szicree

Well Known Member
Anybody know what sort of guarantee the Dynon EFIS comes with? It occurs to me that the only people who currently know how to fix one are the folks at Dynon, and if it breaks after the warranty expires seems like I'd be SOL.

Steve Zicree
Trying to design a panel

Dynon customer service

I think you are worrying for nothing. Dynon will repair units after the warranty. They are likely going to be a player in the EFIS products for some time to come. Repairs, if needed will be done quickly and at a very fair cost. So far they have proven to be very reliable.

Talk to any customer and you will get the same story, Dynon has very good customer service. Also they have a great product and will be around, but you are right the manufacture is the only place to get it repaired. However ask again and Dynon customers will tell you they are very reliable. Perfect? No. There have been some small problems, but from what I have read they are always handled very well and at little or no cost to the customer.

I have not flown with my Dynon yet, but have asked them questions, including "what if's" and getting repairs. I feel confident they will turn it around quickly and at a very low cost, even out of warranty. I also have a GRT EIS-4000 engine monitor and have been very happy with their service. GRT of course makes a competing EFIS with more features, but at a higher price. As with any small company making an EFIS, the service will come from the manufacture. The key is if they will be in business years from now when you need it. These units are all experimental. You want certified you can pay $16,000-$25,000 for a Chelton and still have no assurance they will be around or have service centers nearby. The two companies I mentioned, Dynon & GRT, have a good chance of being here for the long haul. Make your choice, take your chance.

Cheers George

Last edited:
George,

I'm sure that right now Dynon is happy to fix whatever needs fixing because they're a small player trying to grow their business, but I would be very surprised if they're as willing once they become more established. My original concern is that I can find no mention of warranty on their website. Contrast this with the GRT warranty of 1 year return for any reason and 3 years parts and labor (lifetime on the EIS). A product's warranty is usually a good indication of the manufacturer's best guess as to the longevity of an item. I'm sure the guys at Dynon are perfectly honorable businessmen, but I can't expect them to do free reapirs to whoever asks indefinitely. My Toyota is a great car, but we both know what the dealer will say if my engine blows up one mile after warranty expiration.

Steve Zicree

Standard Dynon Warranty

The standard Dynon Warranty is Three years from date of Shipment or Two years from 1st flight, whichever is sooner. They publish coverage for materials & defects, etc..

That being said, some time ago there was a whole rash of Dynon customers (you know who you are) who were so excited about their dynon, that while installing the thing and using our harness or their own, they neglected to remember that you NEVER leave a unit powered up when doing wiring.

Believe it or not, there were literally dozens of users who touched wires, pins, & leads together while the unit was powered up and caused some issues, which dynon has repaired for free----they won't do that forever and I wouldn't expect them to. Just remember when you're wiring your plane.....DO NOT turn things on or power them up with lots of leads, pins or wires exposed and/or touching each other. You're guaranteed to let some smoke out sooner or later.

Sorry for the rant, but I know how many people break things by not following simple electrical rules..

Cheers,
Stein.

Nothing is for sure

Just a thought my last RV-4 had mechanical gyros. I ended up over several years and 600 hours replacing the Vacuum pump at least once and had to rebuild the attitude gyro and T&B. If you have to rebuild a gyro it is expensive. I think the total of gyro maintenance or cost of ownership approached almost half the cost of a Dynon. Based on how reliable my computer, TV, PDA, microwave, cel phone, car gps/computer and the glass in the plane I fly at work, I think we will be better off with this than mechanical gyros and mechanical pitot/static gages. Of course back-up and more reliance on electrical power is something to consider.

Also I got into checking out what kind of individual over voltage protection each of my avionics has. I called all the manufactures. The Dynon has the best available, not bullet proof (i.e. making sparks wiring unit hot) but better than the other devices made by Icom and Collins. Dynon has been in field service for about 2 years now and I think they are racking up a good record. I am not trying to defend any company , but I am going on a 21-month honeymoon with Dynon and think they are super. For example customers wanted the EFIS to record max/min G's even when the G's were selected not to be displayed. They just released a software version (13) that corrects this, so max/min G?s are tracked and recorded, even if not displayed at the time. I am not saying this is better than any other brand. As I said I think highly of GRT from personal experience. I have no first hand experience or knowledge of Blue Mountain. My interest, is IF the company is going to be around for the long haul?

Cheers George

Last edited:
Back