What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

DRE Intercom Repair

tinman

Well Known Member
Does anyone know of a person out there who can repair the DRE-244e intercom? Mine is dead right out of the box...
Don

In DRE boat also, but not taking on water (yet)

tinman said:
Does anyone know of a person out there who can repair the DRE-244e intercom? Mine is dead right out of the box...
Don
WHAT! Bummer............. :eek:

I've got a DRE and sure you know they departed the fix (out of biz). I tried the phone number for grins, but no joy. Sorry, can't help, but you have my sympathy and moral support. I'm surprised its inop out of the box. Have you pulled the cover off? There may be a serviceable fuse.

Can I ask how do you know it does not work. Do you have it full connected and wires checked? I am sure you are right, but is there a chance you don't have it wired properly?

Last edited:
Mine powers up and allows the pilot to xmit. It will not allow the passenger to xmit. We verified that the signal is getting to the DRE with an O-scope. I borrowed a friends DRE and plugged it into my harness and his worked fine with my installation. To further complicate the diagnosis, my SL-40 was also dead on arrival right out of the box. It would not modulate voice, but would lock a carrier wave. Stark Avionics sent me a new one, much to their credit. What are the odds of both the intercom and radio being faulty brand new? I hope that I have used up all of my bad luck with these two issues...they have cost me much wasted time, but I have learned much about diagnostics along the way. I am much more confident with electronics having gone through this process...
Don

Doha! That explains it

tinman said:
Mine powers up and allows the pilot to xmit......What are the odds of both the intercom and radio being faulty brand new? Don
Excellent trouble shooting. Yea after the pain of chasing problems I often go, you know I learned something and get some satisfaction, but it still sucks. Now how to get it fixed.

I met the folks who made and designed DRE equip at Oshkosh. Super nice people and that is when I bought my 244e. They may have folded shop but somewhere some place I am sure you can get it worked on. No chance of doing a SL40 thing and getting another swap? No/Yes :eek: .

It's possible someone handy with an O-scope and clever can trouble shoot it. Not sure who you bought from but Spruce Aircraft was a dealer (never mind they know nothing). You might ask if they know of where warranty work can be done.

How proprietary can it be? It's a intercom. May be an avionics shop can work on it. Like I said I'm in the same boat, but so far so good.

Chance of both radio and intercom being bad out the box? Long odds indeed; still keep us informed, all DRE operators are in the same boat. I would try

edit: Spruce a/c knows nothing

Last edited:
Back