What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Eggenfellner on Spark Plugs

Yukon

Well Known Member
Interesting discussion about spark plugs taking place on the Egg site. Seems the Eggs are consuming spark plugs at a rather high rate. Jan is recommending spark plug change at 50 hours (3000 miles, automotive).

Haven't seen pictures, but sounds like very high combustion temps and or pressures to wear a plug at this rate. What do you gearheads know about this?

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/subaruaircraft/message/29825

John
RV-9 QB

The EZ30 Subaru has a relatively high specific output (83hp/liter). This would be like a 500hp O-360. OEMs typically fit an NGK 5 heat range to low specific output engines like the naturally aspirated EJ25, 6 heat range to engines like the EZ30 and 7 heat range (higher NGK number is colder) to the Honda S2000 which has a very high specific output of 108-120hp/ liter.

Often when auto engines are used for racing, we select much colder plugs to get reasonable life and reduce the possibilities of pre-ignition. The turbocharged Toyota 2TCs I prepared for road racing were happiest with 8s, having a specific output of over 200hp/ liter as an example.

It seems the low output EJ25s are getting over 850 hours on a set of plugs with little wear but the EZ30s are showing high wear in a fraction of that time. I've recommended trying 7s for these engines and reporting on the life. My own EJ22 turbo was showing high plug wear in 100 hours on $2 7s so I've gone to platinums this time and may try iridiums next.

Engines being flogged like this invariably are often not happy with stock heat range plugs.

Back