What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon vs Trutrak ADI

szicree

Well Known Member
I'm currently in the panel planning stage of a strictly VFR RV4 and up until now have intended to use a Dynon along with a conventional ASI, Altimeter, and whiskey compass. My reason for wanting the dynon has primarily been for the fake horizon in case of the unlikely event of loss of a real one. I'm a very conservative pilot and can't really picture myself accidently flying into IMC, but if it ever did happen I know I'd be dead for sure without an attitude indicator. I know without an instrument rating my chances are still slim, but having the instrument has got to be better than not. Having said all that, I've been looking at the new ADI from Trutrak. It gives a real robust attitude gyro and a gps DG (gives track instead of heading). I figure it would save me about a grand over the Dynon and eliminate several failure points in my pitot static-system. Of course I'd then have to go out and buy a VSI and G-meter if I wanted to be as fully equipped. I'd like to hear others' opinions on this matter, especially those who own one or both units. Thanks in advance.

Steve Zicree

Dynon experience

Steve,
I bought the Dynon for exactly the reasons you stated. It works quite well. I've tried to flip it over and confuse it, but it is like a Timex watch "it keeps on ticking". There wasn't a TruTrak ADI when I was building or I might have bought one(for cost reasons).
Mark

wondering the same thing.....

Steve,
I have a slightly different situation. I have a flying 4 that has a dead AI. I'd like to get rid of the vacuum system.

I haven't pulled the trigger on the Dynon for 2 reasons: 1.) I really only need the AI. I'm going to keep the analog airspeed and altimeter anyway. 2.) I'm thinking about an autopilot as maybe a better use of the $2k or so.

Along comes the ADI which will be part of an autopilot system. I could insert the ADI to replace my dead AI and still get rid of the vacuum system. If the Autopilot is not too expensive, I might just get the whole thing. I will be watching this closely and see what the details are after OSH.

Later

John

I would definately consider the ADI with the autopilot. If you ever accidently flew yourself into IMC the auto pilot could turn you around and safely fly you out. Also, I would consider getting an Instrument rating just for the attitude flying trainning. You will have a much better chance if you have at least some instrument trainning which include recovery from unusual attitudes and partial panel.

just my .02

Bryon

The current TruTrak Flight Systems ad in Sport Aviation contains the following interesting statement:
"PITCH is Gyro Enhanced Vertical Speed"

From this I infer that the vertical representation on the ADI is not the typical Fuselage-Referenced Pitch Angle (Theta), but rather a display of some kind of smoothed instantaneous VSI. This might be conceptualized as a climb-dive flightpath indicator, independent of fuselage pitch angle.

If that is correct, the TruTrak information, is qualitatively very different from that provided by usual attitude indicators (although the flightpath information is certainly useful). An RV-6 sitting on deck at a 12 degree reference pitch attitude would presumably produce a Zero degree displacement on the TruTrak display.

Regards,
Hawkeye Hughes

How the TruTrak ADI works

If anyone wants to know how the TruTrak ADI works, there's a pretty good description in their patent 6,961,643 at the www.uspto.gov site.

Back