What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Position and strobe lights?

N941WR

Legacy Member
Within the next year I?ll have to order my position and strobe lights and was wondering what options are out there.

I know all about Whelen?s but am more interested in some of the new diode systems.

Recommendations?

LEDS not quite ready for prime time.

N941WR said:
Recommendations?
Bill, be careful some of the LED systems. First their cost is not bargain and the real performance, actual light pattern and intensity, may not meet the Regs. I am sure it can be done and many do have the proper light patterns; two major aerospace companies, BFGoodrich and Whelen make commercial LED NAV lights, but they cost too much. However what happens when one or two of the 28 LED's burn out? Are they easy to replace or do you solder them in? LED's require a regulated power supply; over voltage will blow the LED. LED's are great but cant stand over voltage or they burn out. The power supply adds another wrinkle in the equation.

The fact that we are not commercial airlines and flying at night is an option for most pleasure flyers it may not be critical. I would shop around. I looked into building LED NAV lights myself. I learned a lot about the physics of LEDs and lights. There is a lot more to it than putting a bunch of LEDs together. The problem is real bright LEDs tend to have very narrow pattern. The bright ones also get expensive. White is no problem with the new latest generation white LEDs; they are a little expensive but put out a wide bright pattern.

Having problems getting good Red/Green LED's to do the job, I looked into putting a lens over the powerful wide angle white LED's to make wing tip NAV light of proper color. This would not work because you loose efficency. The advantage of LEDs is they make the photons directly in the proper color and therefore are more efficent. You could still do it, but it would take a lot of leds and cost a bunch and current draw would be up to a regular light bulb. The problem is getting the right wave length (color) LED. Again it can be done but you end up with a bunch of LEDs to get the intensity and coverage (pattern).

The field of light physics is full of some real weird units and history that makes working with it a real experiment. Calcultations alone are not enough. From the NAV light kits for experimentals using LED's, that I have seen, look marginal or over-kill. So you end up being bulky or not effective enough to be truly legal. In all case there are no bargins. You can buy old school NAV light off of eBay for $20. Bulbs burn out very infrequently.

It has only been recent, in the last few years, that LEDs have become powerful enough to do this at all. In time better LED?s will come out and make it practical (and cheaper), not only NAV lights but also strobe and landing lights. For now it is marginal (too many LEDS) or too expensive except for the tail NAV light (white). The problem is making or modifying a mount.

Really to know for sure if a LED NAV light kit is doing the job, you need special equipment/lab. Also they need regulated voltage supplies or they will burn out. This adds expense and complexity.

For me I went "OLD SCHOOL" with Aeroflash combined NAV/Strobe under each wing tip lens. On the tail I went with a combo NAV/Strobe. All have double flash and separate strobe power paks. It is compact, works, last a long time and parts (new bulbs) are easy to get anywhere. The down side they use a lot more amps and make heat.

Cheers George

Last edited:
Strobe Questions

Sorry to hi-jack your thread 41WR but I think it applies.

Can someone who is knowledgeable about strobes answer a question for me please.

What are the differences between emergency vehicle strobes and those put on RVs?

The reason I ask is that from what I see, the strobes (I assume the Whelen) that are being put on RVs seem really whimpy to me. I can stand 10 feet from a flashing RV strobe and not have a second thought about it. Yet that police car strobe half mile down the road practically blinds a person.

Is it just a matter of a bigger and heavier power supply that makes these high power strobes unpractical for planes or just what is it that prevents us from putting high power strobes on the planes?

Educate me please!

Whelen Strobes

I have the Whelen strobes on my airplane and if you stand 10 feet from them when they are going you almost experience mental trauma they are so annoyingly bright.

Back