What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Obtaining a repairman certificate for a purchased aircraft

$ Bill

I'm New Here
I purchased a finished flying plane, does anyone know where I can obtain the 16 hr, course for the repairman certificate so I can peform the annual condition inspection. I live near Oshkosh WIsconsin.

I don't think you can.

$ Bill said:
I purchased a finished flying plane, does anyone know where I can obtain the 16 hr, course for the repairman certificate so I can peform the annual condition inspection. I live near Oshkosh WIsconsin.
I think this has been covered in previous posts. The short answer is that the repairman certificate is for one who can prove he built the airplane. Period. Others have pointed out that you cana perform the inspection but you cannot sign off on it. For that you need an A&P. An "inspector" is not required for experimental category. Whatever course you are talking about, it's for something else.

16 hr course for LSA only

Bill,

As far as I know, you may only get the repairman certificate for a homebuilt if you built it. The 16 hour course you refer to is only for aircraft that are in the light sport category. The RV 6 is not an LSA.

Repairman certificate

The 16 hour course only applies to E-LSA aircraft owned by the maintenance certificate holder. As owner/pilot, you can perform all of your own maintenance and repairs, but need either the original builder (if he/she has the repairmans certificate) or an A & P to perform the annual condition inspection. Only one repairman certificate is issued for each Experimental Amatuer Built.
Ron Voss
RV-6, Angle valve O-320, Catto 3 blade
Almost Done! Weight and Balance within a week

The repairman cert is only for experimental acft that you yourself have built. The 16hr course you are referring to is for Experimental Light Sport Aircraft. So I'm afraid you are out of luck in being able to sign off your own condition inspection on the RV. You can do the maintence and mods but will need an A&P to sign it off every year, or the original builder, if he has the repairmen cert for the acft.

Back