What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Another Fun Day

KirkGrovesRV8

Well Known Member
Hi fellas!
I put 6.1hrs on the Hobbs today, I left S37 a little after 6am this AM and scooted out to FKR(frankfort,IN) and attended a Fly IN there. They had quite a bit of warbirds and a whole bunch of vintage planes, but Dakota Queen was the only RV there, so needless to say I spent quite a bit of time talking with people about her(the plane)
It was a really nice flight out I got great ground speeds(180+kts) and did not run into any significant headwinds until I was almost there.
They had a great Pancake breakfast and it was a beautiful morning out there.....then I headed east..I stopped in Coshocton,OH(I40) and met a couple of Ohio Valley RVers, It was really nice to meet some new faces and visit. But I had to deal with weaving Thur and around rain showers Thur OH and then over the mountains it got bumpy, I don't mean a little bumpy I mean strap yourself down and slow down kind of bumps. The G meter showed +3.5gs and -2gs from the turbulence, the redeeming quality was I was making great time with the tailwind(I was seeing over 210kts at some points) and the whole way home I kept checking AWOS and ATIS from the airports ahead of me and they were all saying the same thing..I was going to have a 80dg cross wind when I got home, turns out it was a direct cross wind 10G20kt or as I heard someone else say "20 lulling to 10" regardless I won't lie and say I was not thinking about it, but it turned out to be a total non event, these RVs are just amazing!! I am no super pilot but the RV just makes it not a big deal, the only tricky part (at least on the 8) is when you lower the tail..so I just keep the tail up until I am really slow and it seems to work out well. I have landed in a couple of big(to me anyway) crosswinds and every time I walk away thinking what a cool airplane:)
Sorry for the long post just wanted to share my day
All the Best
Kirk

Kirk,

I heard you on the radio Saturday morning and I tried to call you but I guess my Comm didn't reach you. Most of the guys went to Greencastle for breakfast and then headed over to Sporty's in Cincinnati for their open house.

I travel over to Grimes (Urbana, OH) occasionally for home-made pie. Maybe we can meet up over there.

Hi Randy!
I would love to, I will post up though the next nice weekend I will most likely be heading out your way again. I did get to talk to a fellow Indy Rv driver but I had made a commitment to meet a gentleman in Frankfort.
By the way the pancake breakfast at FKR was great!

Back