What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dremel Tool

WSBuilder

Well Known Member
Just an endorsement for the Black & Decker Dremel-equivalent. My variable-speed, corded Dremel, a tool I can't live without, died this week. Brushes maybe, but the switch module probably. While parts are on order I just "had" to keep working, so I purchased B&D's 3-speed version, $36 (versus Dremel's $59) at HD. I have to say this thing is ergonomically better, runs smoother and is strong. It doesn't have all the cute, available add-on's Dremel has, but I'm not interested in those anyway since I have lots of full-size woodworking tools, which I prefer. Anyway, I don't know about long-term durability comparisons, but I wouldn't hesitate to buy this tool if you're looking to save some $ over the dremel.

What I found out that works better is an air driven device. I went through three dremels cutting the windows. The plastic dust just sticks to the brushes. An air driven device works much better and lasts a lot longer.

I totally agree with you Bill,

After burning out my second Dremel, (I dropped my 30 year old bakelite model before buying the el cheapo by comparison "new" Dremel) I picked up the B & D version....it is a bit more rugged and can use all of the Dremel add-ons....

I have long possessed and use both the electric and pneumatic class of this tool. I do like the quick change feature on the electric type that I presently own. An unexpected deal discovered at Sam's, I just couldn't pass on it. It requires no additional tools to change accessories. A button on the side of the chuck is depressed, locking it for quick changes. Very convenient. That said, I find for most field repairs....the pneumatic type is significantly more useful. It does require 2 wrenches to change accessories but is lighter, much easier to manipulate and will access limited areas that are extremely difficult or impossible to reach with any electric type. Using surprising little air, most compressors will easily handle its demands.

Either way, I can't imagine building or maintaining an airplane without using this highly versatile class of tool.

fuselageassembly19012vy3.jpg

Brushes are funny

Rick,
Is the thin one on the bottom your pneumatic? I noticed one like it at HF. Gotta have one, now.

I recieved my Dremel parts yesterday and installed them incrementally. The brushes ($5) significantly improved things, but the rpm's wavered. Old brushes were not worn in length but were somewhat pitted. I turned the commutator in the drill press. I went ahead and also replaced the switch module ($19) and now it's back to like new. I suspect the brush pitting damaged the switch contacts, so those brushes ought to be replaced regularly.

WSBuilder said:
Rick,
Is the thin one on the bottom your pneumatic?......
Bill,

Yes, the one on the bottom is the pneumatic. The small diameter supply hose is approximately 3' long. Actually, I now have three of them....2 Dotco's which are of better quality and this one. Often referred to as "pencil grinders," I merely used it in the pic because it photographs better than a plain aluminum Dotco. I bought it on eBay for $20. From China, it is likely to be very similar to the ones offered at HF. It is a cheapie but other than blowing the poorly fitted supply hose off the first time I used it, it performs well. Such pencil grinders will accept any accessory that a Dremel will.

Dremel tool

Bill Grant wrote "I noticed one like it at HF."

I bought one from HF and it would not spin very fast and you could stop it with your finger. I took it back, they gave me another one, and it was the same. I used my neighbors (another brand) and it works great. So, beware of the HF mini-die grinder.

Sneak Attack

dmaib said:
I bought one from HF and it would not spin very fast and you could stop it with your finger. I took it back, they gave me another one, and it was the same. I used my neighbors (another brand) and it works great. So, beware of the HF mini-die grinder.

This is how the Chinese will defeat us: first they kill our pets, then they infiltrate our industrial capability with defective tools which we buy with abandon, then they invade.

Good reminder about HF and "buyer beware."

How do you use your dremel?

Hi all,

I used my dremel extensively building radio control, but have not found it useful in RV construction. That probably means I am missing something pretty obvious. So, how do you use it and with what fittings?

I am currently deburring all the little nooks and crannies in the fuselage bulkheads. What a PIA. Is there a dremel solution?

Regards,

Michael Wynn
RV 8 Fuselage
San Ramon

Dremel Use

MW,
I've used mine quite a bit for cutting sheet material such as the main bulkhead control tunnel and the elevator trim tab - using the composite wheels, and for rough cutting small inside radii - using the 1/8" milling bit.

Back