What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Level RV-6A

GrayHawk

Well Known Member
For an RV-6A: Does anyone know approximately what height/thickness I need for a set of blocks/platforms to roll the main gear wheels onto, to get the plane approximately level?

Thanks,

Each airplane will be slightly different.
Don't forget another acceptable method for leveling is removing air from nose wheel tire.

Measure and calculate....

Mel said:
Each airplane will be slightly different.
Don't forget another acceptable method for leveling is removing air from nose wheel tire.

As Mel says, each plane is different. Park your plane on level concrete, and use a digital level on the longerons to find the slope that you need to correct. A little bit of simple mathematics will get the size of blocks you need.

Use the digital level to check the concrete slope if you are going to work outside.... you can use the slope of the concrete (usually in the order of 1% to 2%) to help cancel some of the aircraft angle you are trying to correct.

Of course, if you are weighing outdoors, you must have no wind... :)

gil in Tucson ... last time I did this, the ramp concrete slope cancelled out almost half of the aircraft angle...

4" and a little air out of the nosewheel should do it on a -6A. The resting incidence of the longerons is typically 4.1 degrees nose up.

Note that a -7A is typically half that.

The rough formula I use is 1" of platform height for each degree nose up incidence. I weigh planes "for a living" so I've seen this a few times.

Last edited:
Thanks to everyone who responded.

Yes, I realize every plane will be a little different & just wanted the approximate dimension. For fine work, I have 2 bottle jacks which will be stable after I get my bracing welded together.

Since Dan says 4", that sounds like 2x4 (3.5") frame with 1/2" plywood sheathing. Then adjust as necessary using tire pressures.

Thanks,

Just did this!

Yep, took 2x4's two high, or 3 1/2", and the nose wheel almost flat. That extra 1/2" would make it real easy.

Back