What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

To File or Not to File (IFR)....That is the Question!

Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
"Whether tis' nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageously low visibilities, or".....oh, sorry....High School Shakespeare making an appearance, won't happen again.... :p

This weekend, I flew the Val up to Weatherford, TX, just to the west of the DFW Class B airspace. On the trip up, I filed IFR and flew all the way in the system. For the trip home, I elected to stay VFR, climb up through a hole, cruise back on top, and descend through the broken deck at home base. Since the airplane is fully equipped and certified for instrument ops, and is probably easier to fly ?in the system? than just about any GA airplane I have used, this begs the question ? why file sometimes, and not others?

I frequently read and hear the advice that once you have an instrument rating, you should fly in the system on every flight, just to build experience and to stay current. While I certainly understand where this is coming from, and actually think that it can be good advice, I find that after 25 years with an instrument rating, and having never let my currency lapse, I am selective about when I use it and when I don?t. I guess that I don?t file just to stay current, because the system makes sense to me. My default mode of operation is to go VFR because of the flexibility that it affords. Put simply, I can change and adapt my plans in an instant, without waiting for a new clearance or permission. I can go direct to my destination airport without having to go out of my way for an instrument approach. I can deviate as required for weather, or to let down through a hole, using the full capabilities of the airplane, and doing it when it is optimum. In other words ? I am in complete control of what I want to do, which ads to the utility of the airplane.

To me, filing IFR is all about the weather at departure and destination. If I need to be in the clouds on departure, or there is any sort of a chance that I will have to shoot an approach at the other end, I will generally file. If I can get out and up to the altitude I want while staying VFR, and I am fairly certain of good weather on arrival, I?ll stay VFR. If the destination weather is ?iffy?, dynamic or low and unchanging, then I will generally file. If I decide to go on top, and make a really bad guess on the weather, I can always circle while I call Flight Service and air file to get in where I need to go. With the range and endurance of the RV, I can afford to stop and do donuts in the sky as necessary to make this happen. Of course, this approach requires discipline and judgment to avoid getting trapped and low on fuel at the same time. You need to be thinking way ahead of the airplane ? like an hour or more ? to stay safe.

For example, the weather across east Texas this weekend was influenced by a lot of moist, southerly flow from the gulf. This formed a layer of scud starting around 1500?, with tops up between 4,000 and 7,000 feet. Occasionally, pockets of low ceilings and visibilities restricted by haze and light rain showers were lowering things to IFR minimums (for non precision approaches). On Saturday, when it was time to head north, the ceilings in the Houston area were about 1500?, with some breaks in the overcast. But the area around Dallas was reporting real MVFR, with ceilings and vis frequently below VFR. My destination, Weatherford, has only one instrument approach, a VOR at right angles to the runway with minimums of 700?. Mineral Wells, about 15 miles to the west, has an ILS, so I knew there was no problem in getting down somewhere close to my planned destination. But VFR? Nope, no way! This would have required scud-running in hills, something I really avoid in today?s cell-phone-tower rich environment. So I filed, got great service and a near-direct routing as soon as I got into Center?s airspace, and kept checking the METARs on my 396. Sure enough, the lowest weather had passed through by the time I got near Weatherford, and I was able to get good ground contact on the descent into the area, cancel IFR, descend below the bases (about 1200? AGL at the time) and slide right in to the airport. An additional factor was that Regional approach told me on call-up that he already had two airplanes lined up for the ILS into Mineral Wells, and in order to clear the airspace for my approach, I?d have to hold for up to 30 minutes. Why hold when you have VFR below?

For today?s return, the forecast map showed a cold front developing from the DFW area to near Houston, with a line of thunderstorms forming in front of it by mid afternoon. The prevailing METARS and TAF?s along the rout showed ceilings and broken clouds from 1500? ? 2000?, with strong gusty southerly winds. I figured scudding would be windy and bumpy, and on top would be windy but smooth. If the prediction for thunderstorm formation came true while I was in the air, I wanted to be where I could see it happening, and have the flexibility to use my XM NEXRAD data to stay clear ? or bail out to the better weather to the west if required. So, with solid predicted and observed broken clouds down near Houston, the decision was to maintain my flexibility and go VFR on top. That proved to work very well, as I descended through 50% cloud coverage in the west Houston area, landing at home base (Pearland) with ceilings about 1300?. I listened to a Baron coming in IFR along my same route, and by the time he realized that he wasn?t going to get vectors below 2200?, and he?d passed over the broken area and into the overcast portion closer to the coast, he was being set up for an additional ten minutes of flight time vectoring for the approach from the south. (Oh, and the thunderstorms? They never happened!)

There are no absolutes in this kind of decision-making, and each day must be evaluated on its own merits. Certainly, if you are still getting used to a new instrument rating, or haven?t flown a lot in the system, filing on every cross-country to build experience might still be the way to go. For me, I like to maintain my flexibility as long as possible, but I have very conservative rules regarding destination weather that make me file to maintain my options. As always, either VFR or IFR, good pre-flight decision-making makes the in-flight stress level a lot lower.

And the capability of a well-equipped RV is hard to beat when you really want to use an airplane for transportation!

Fly Safe,

Paul

Third Choice?

It's better to wish you where flying (safely) than be flying wishing you where (safe) on the ground.

Sometimes no flight plan is best.

As we speak, I'm sitting at KOSH and figuring out my plan of attack to get back to KCNO today. Between me and home lies a string of weather that will present a challenge. I have to admit, I always do everything I can to avoid going IFR. For me, IFR is a tool to get me up and out and to get me down and in. Personally, I do not like enroute IFR. Looks like I'm facing a bit of it today, but at "RV speeds" it won't take me long to get through.

I will most likely not file today, but I won't hesitate to get a clearance if I need one. An instrument rating is a tool in the tool box, but it's buried under several other tools in the box...

Paul:
Good post. When I first started building and joined EAA, I was surprised to learn that many of the local capter members building high performance machines (RVs) were either not instrument rated or tended to have very low time in the system. I'd rather see the low timers file everywhere and become comfortable flying and using the system then scud running or trying to air file when it's "too late". It's evident that you've really been able to maximize use of your A/C when your decision to file is based on flexibility, safety and fuel/time efficiency. Your level of comfort in planning should be the goal of every RVer who wants to do more than local flying and occasional acro. Like most skills, it takes practice.
Terry

Though I'm only just now working on my IFR ticket, almost all my XC VFR hours have been flown with flight-following - IFR Lite, if you will. To me it just seems a natural fit to fly with another set of eyeballs helping you watch for traffic, there's no reason (IMHO) NOT to use it enroute. Beginning/Ending a flight in VMC I can understand perfectly well.

I think Paul put it quite well - you do what fits you best. The trick is to keep about 3 versions of Plan B in your back pocket, be ready to jump to any one of them in half a heartbeat, and stay way out in front of the airplane. Too many pilots don't seem to be capable of doing that.

I generally select IFR for two reasons:

1. Weather requires (or encourages) it.

2. I'm flying into or through a Class B or C airspace.

Otherwise I'll just go VFR, but like everyone is saying, I won't hesitate to file or get a clearance enroute if I feel it's a good idea.

Broken?

Ironflight said:
"and descend through the broken deck at home base.

Paul,

Was it "Broken" or "Scattered" :) I am pretty sure it was scattered. Aren't VFR descents done through an area of "scattered" clouds if anybody asks. ;)

Thanks for the great write up and decision making advice. I wish I could stay current. You have done great to never let it lapse.

gvgoff99 said:
Paul,

Was it "Broken" or "Scattered" :) I am pretty sure it was scattered. Aren't VFR descents done through an area of "scattered" clouds if anybody asks. ;)

Thanks for the great write up and decision making advice. I wish I could stay current. You have done great to never let it lapse.
Scattered is not a ceiling. Broken is a ceiling. That has nothing to do with whether a descent is legal or not.

Cloud clearances for the type airspace one is in are the only factor on the legality of going through a cloud layer. In certain airspaces clear of clouds is the only requirement.

True True

n5lp said:
Scattered is not a ceiling. Broken is a ceiling. That has nothing to do with whether a descent is legal or not.

Cloud clearances for the type airspace one is in are the only factor on the legality of going through a cloud layer. In certain airspaces clear of clouds is the only requirement.

You are correct.

Scattered is cloud coverage of three-eighths to four-eighths of the sky.

Broken is when six to nine-tenths of the sky is covered and in Class B clear of clouds is all you need but you are correct the clearance from clouds is what determines legality.

Paul is very sharp and quite attuned to doing it the way it should be done. Your plane is pretty sharp too.

Last edited:
Cloud Clearance

I'm glad you guys cleared that up without my help! :D

Yes, the cloud clearance rules are what really apply - I wasn't being very precise with the language - what we had the other day was varying areas of broken to scattered - about 50% coverage, with large gaps (until you gt close to the coast, where it was essentially overcast.

Paul

Smokin'

Great advise, Paul. I have found myself often following suit when there are "scattered" skies. It's great to have an airplane that can climb through the bumps and hot temps quickly. On my last "severe clear" cross-country trip to Tallahasse, however, I filed. System practice, traffic avoidance, and no expected delay were the reasons. I was surprised when TLH Approach told me to expect the ILS 36 Approach. The winds had shifted enough to make the smoke from the Waycross, GA fires a factor. Being in the system saved me some circle time.

ADIZ, ADIZ, Wherefore are thou ADIZ?

Paul,

I really enjoyed your description of your trip and your decision process. It's obvious the combination of your logic and your flight experience result in a very competent GA pilot. :) Your work as a NASA Flight Director and your hobby as a GA pilot overlap very well.

Now I'm wondering if any RV pilots can comment on flying into the DC ADIZ...VFR vs. IFR. I have a friend (RV builder and C-182T pilot) who flew IFR into the DC ADIZ recently and he said it was a piece of cake. IIRC, VFR requires a flight plan and an assigned transponder code before entry. The reason I ask is I have a business trip to the Leesburg area this summer and may be flying myself rather than flying commercial. I usually request VFR flight following for cross country and feel I get treated well especially if I am terminating at a towered field.

Don

Don,

As of yet, I have no experience with the D.C. ADIZ, but now that Louise is going to be up there for awhile, I probably need to understand it....and my going-in position will be to do it IFR I think! Or maybe I'll just avoid "going in" altogether and land outside of it....

Paul

I have flown into the DC ADIZ many times

trust me, file IFR

When I do go in VFR, the controllers are never certain what I am doing. By comparison when I file IFR it's as though the ADIZ does not exist.

Make sure you are familiar with the FRZ (inside the ADIZ). You should know the proper intercept procedures (just in case you get intercepted) though I admit that I am not up to date on them.

bruce
N297NW
RV-8 (444 TT)

Back