What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon Flap Position Sensor

TX7A

Well Known Member
Is anyone taking advantage of the Dynon EMS flap position information?

If so, what did you use to sense the position? Where was it hooked-in to the flap mechanisim?

I see Ray Allen has a position sensor http://www.rayallencompany.com/products/indsens.html
(bottom of page)
...wondering if something like that will work....and how/where it would be attached.

Thanks

That's what I used for my AFS 2500 engine monitor

I mounted it between the sets under the flap motor cover. The sensor was mounted to the back support and an adel clamp secured the other end to the flap actuator arm.

Kent

How much "throw" does your sensor have and do you mean you attached it to the rotating bar of the actuator. Thanks

Larry

I have to ask why? It takes very little time to get the feel of where your flaps are. You learn quickly with a quick mental 1,2,3 count. You can see them very easily during the time you are using them, when your head should be outside of the cockpit anyway, and you can make your flap check as part of my normal scan. Very simple.

I was trained by Mike Seager who teaches this in a simple two step approach. Most of the time, there is very little need to adjust flaps beyond two steps, 1/2 then Full. It took me about two flights to know exactly where that was instinctually, it was how I was taught, and it works. Slow to 100, 1/2 or four count abeam the numbers, full or four count on base, done.
If you need more intermediate postions, look, it is very obvious where they are at, but I have yet to find that need.

So I just dont understand the need of an indicator. However, I am sure those that have them justify them and, as always, it's your airplane and an individual choice.

Larry, hope this picture helps.

Jon, Your right, I am not sure how useful it is. I only look at it after the fact to see where I ended up putting my flaps. When I lower my flaps on downwind, I just hold for a count of 4. When I am on final and know the field is made, I hold down some more. After I land I look at the panel to see if they are all the way down.

Hey, there is one more think on my engine monitor that lights up and shows something. :p

Kent

kentb said:
Larry, hope this picture helps.

Jon, Your right, I am not sure how useful it is. I only look at it after the fact to see where I ended up putting my flaps. When I lower my flaps on downwind, I just hold for a count of 4. When I am on final and know the field is made, I hold down some more. After I land I look at the panel to see if they are all the way down.

Hey, there is one more think on my engine monitor that lights up and shows something. :p

Kent

I appreciate the spirit of these forums. The question was asked as to how to install these, not should I. So, you are actually answering the original question. There are a lot of attractive gadgets out there, many very useful. It is nice to have a relatively unregulated hobby that allows us to do what we want, not necessarily what we need or have to have.

Back