What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

N723CT

cthelan

RV-8A N723CT Chris Thelan

HOW LONG IS THAT FLIGHT TO OSHKOSH?

It all started at Oshkosh ?04, when my dad and I went to our first AirVenture. I was 17 years old and already an avid private pilot, taking my flight training at Wings Aloft flight club at Boeing Field in Seattle, Washington. My dad started flying in the mid 1960?s but chose to forego flying for many years in order to attend college, raise a family and pursue a professional and business career.

As we walked the fields of airplanes, each one more interesting than another, we started to visualize, dream and scheme about what it would be like to build our very own airplane. Could we actually do it, which one was the right one for us, was it possible to finish the project and fly our very own airplane before I went off to college?

We started tallying up what we had to gain (or lose). If successful we would spend a great deal of time together as a father and son team, learning many new skills and venture into several new territories of aviation knowledge. Surely, we would strengthen our camaraderie and love of all things that fly. There is also the affordability we could achieve by flying a homebuilt wherever and as often as we liked. On the other hand, we had to contemplate, if only briefly, the possible failure to complete the project. Such consideration would help guide us to make the ?right? decision on which homebuilt was the best for us.

For me, how better to learn the fundamentals of airplane design, construction and maintenance of an airplane, together with detailed working knowledge of the mechanical, engine, electrical and avionics systems. I had already decided on a career in commercial aviation. I felt that learning from the ground up, understanding building plans and specifications, the use of all tools necessary to build an airplane, a thorough understanding of how airplanes are put together would make me a better pilot. It all sounded like a real adventure and a lot of fun. I was soon to learn just how much work goes into building a plane.

What brand of plane would be the best for us, given our budget of time and money? After all, there are hundreds of kit brands and numerous choices of materials, including wood, fabric, composite, and aluminum.
After reading plenty of catalogues, web blogs and old fashioned asking around, the decision became clear, it would be a Vans quick build kit. Tried and true aluminum, readable plans and specifications as evidenced by Vans having the largest number of completed kits in the world, together with plenty of builders assistance resources and a proven resale market.

After the order was placed for an RV-8A in February ?05, the tools and tail kit arrived it became very apparent to my dad and myself that ?builders school? was in our immediate future. After all, we had a goal of flying our plane to Oshkosh ?06 and time would need to be spent very wisely to complete the project by July of 2006.

6a8e05c5.jpg

For builder?s school we chose Wally Anderson?s Synergy Air based in Eugene, Oregon. Wally had extensive experience in airplane building and a genuine gift for teaching novices like us. After an intensive one-week class, we could perform all the fundamentals and subject to continued tutoring along the way, our RV had become a real project. Wally?s insight and ability to explain the building process dramatically accelerated our weekly progress. Wally commented, ?It was a real pleasure to teach the father and son Thelan team, their desire to learn was very apparent. One of the real joys for me, is working with men and women who want to learn, improve their abilities and gain the necessary confidence to take on and complete an airplane?

IMG_0006.jpg

As the days, weeks and months rolled by, each visible progress was being made. Seeing real progress kept me going at every stage of the project. Sure, you can get discouraged from time to time because not every piece is completed as quickly as you?d like, but even the smallest visible progress keeps you going.

Last edited:
N723CT pt.2

GetAttachment.jpg

While we were making good progress, there were still many decisions to make. An engine selection was necessary and after much research, we chose Aerosport Power of Kamloops, British Columbia, Canada. The choice of avionics and panel design was fundamental to the type of future flying the plane could undertake. After surveying the market we chose Aerotronics of Billings, Montana. Gary Wirrel and the Aerotronics crew were very helpful in drawing out what instrument options would best serve the type of flying that we had in mind. Gary knew the brands and models extremely well, but showed a real balance in providing pros and cons without any hard selling.

The final panel consists of Chelton?s all glass Sport system, including, highway in the sky, terrain awareness, traffic, and weather in separate PFD and MFD glass monitors, Garmin SL 30 and SL 40 radios, Tru-trak autopilot, and Electronic International?s MVP 50 engine monitoring system.

99a4a874.jpg

In June of ?06 the plane was ready for its first real test, obtaining an Airworthiness Certificate. After much preparation on June 8th, 2006 we no longer had a ?project?, but instead, had an ?airplane? dubbed N723CT!

n29415404_31074828_1206.jpg

For insurance purposes, my dad and I, needed several hours of flight training in similar Van?s airplanes. This task was accomplished with both Gary Ludeke, CFI, based out of Crestwell, Oregon and Mike Seager, Van?s most experienced transition training pilot out of Scappoose, Oregon.

Flight testing started on June 22, 2006, with the 1st honors going to Mike Seager. Most all of the required 40 hours of flight testing were flown by me. It was a once in a lifetime feeling to takeoff and command a plane you built! The plane is very, very nimble with great visibility and overall a lot of fun to fly.

IMG_0088.jpg

N723CT pt. 3

During the required flight testing, much was learned about N723CT, including best glide speed, best climb speed, best angle of attack, stall speeds (clean and with full flaps), basic data on cylinder and exhaust gas temperatures, fuel pressure, oil pressure and the list goes on and on! The flight testing was completed on July 15th with Oshkosh ?06 right around the corner. N723CT touched down on July 23, 2006 at the AirVenture Oshkosh ?06, having made a successful cross country trip from Seattle?s Boeing Field. After completing all the registration paperwork, we were fortunate enough to have N723CT chosen for the Homebuilt Review as part of the world?s largest air show!!
n29415404_30936710_5086.jpg

How long is that flight to Oshkosh? Well it depends quite a bit on your chosen course. It was an adventurous course for my dad and I that will be with us for many years and the result of our hard work was well worth the effort.

Chris Thelan
Commercial Aviation Student, University of North Dakota
[email protected]

n29415404_31113949_1964.jpg

n29416431_32038917_5864.jpg

n29416841_31900209_1879.jpg

Last edited:
Nice to see you!

Hi Fellas!
Nice to see you at Arco, ID! I can't wait until my RV-8A is flying!
Hope to see you again!

Bruce Belligan
Manager, KAOC
208-720-4518

Back