What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Firewall penetration W IO-360 Fuel Line

cbnank

Hi VAF,

I have a question regarding the installation of an IO-360 with AFP fuel pump. I have searched previous posts and have not found a clear answer.

The fuel line from the AFP fuel pump is aluminum and goes to the firewall. Without an IO you would connect to a gascolator. Gascolator is not required with the AFP fuel pump.

I read the posts that suggested use of a steel fitting through the firewall. Is that what others have done? If so, where do you penetrate the firewall?

I appreciate your help.

Carl Nank

RV7-A Just finished Fuel pump installation. Tail is next.

I 've used the Vans Hardware and positioned the penetration according to Vans measurements. All has been great except now I'm moving on to the battery housing and starter solenoid. My first impression is that something is amiss. Basically just lining things up on the firewall to see where they go shows me that either I've miss measured or my particular combination of ingredients are not that common. What ever you do I'd suggest jumping ahead just a bit and check this out for yourself. I'm using the mount for an Odyssey battery.

Ok, here is how mine lines up....

Battery box fits to the edge of the firewall recess. Battery relay just below the box about mid span of the box. Starter relay just about 1.5 inches below and lined up right terminal to left terminal with the battery relay. The fuel line hardware is only about one inch to the left of the Starter relay and almost lines up on the left relay post. This is all on the FF plans. I am feeding an IO-320, but used the IO-360 plans, because there is none for the 320.

Note: I am looking at a bad picture of the FF while typing this so can't be real accurate with measurements. Left, right are from the pilots point of view.

If anyone wants me to send me the picture (poor as it is) email me at:
kent.d.byerley[at]tek[dot]com

Kent

Thanks for that description. I have not been able to check further since I have been busy crating my engine up to be taken for it's first run. Once the dust settles I'll take a look. From what I've seen so far though I think I've messed something up.

Hi Rivethead

Either get in touch with Frank or come by and see us here in Independence for some ideas on how to do some of the firewall forward stuff. Nothing like a "Polish Blueprint" to gain clarity on how something goes together when you can't make sense of a plans page. We're 20 minutes away and would love to meet ya!

Bob

I waited until ready for the plumbing

The very variable plumbing should not dictate where you locate things that have very little flexibility in where they go. I built up the systems and routed the plumbing as required by the interfaces. My fuel lines are not very visible in the cockpit and there is no way I could have achieved this if started drilling holes in the firewall before the essentials were positioned. The same is true of the control cables. My fuel line and primer line exit the back of a center console go down to the cockpit floor under the batery box base plate, straight up the firewall then angle off to the left and connect to the firewall bulkhead fittings in a position appropriate for the destination in the engine compartment.

I used aluminum bulkhead fittings in the firewall and everywhere else in the plane.

Bob Axsom

I thought I posted this question here yesterday but notice it's gone, so I'll repost.

If you exit the cabin where the gascolator normally goes, how are you all making the turn forward of the AFP. With the stock Van's setup, it goes into the Facet pump and then right to the exit.

I could, I suppose, use nutplates I originally installed in anticipation of using the facet pump to clamp the line as it turns, however, that's a 90 degree bend there followed by another bend in the other direction through the firewall. Is that a potential problem?

Thanks Bob

Hey thanks for the invite, I talk to Frank at the airport whenever I see him. There's just so much to glean. I manage to get up your way every so often, Usually to buy gas.

Back