What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sun-n-Fun RV-12 Forum Report?

N316RV

Well Known Member
I had to leave Sun-n-Fun Friday morning and was unable to attend RV-12 Forum. Anybody out there who attended willing to give a report?
Thanks
Alan Jackson

RV-12

RV-12 Forum seats were filled. Tom Green hosted the Forum and Van very, straight foward presented the facts about the 12. He was very sincere and honest and answered all the questions he was ask. Needless to say I was impressed. Some of the changes to the POC were; swivelling nose wheel, pilot side toe brakes, and increased wing area. He also discussed the pros and cons of the Rotax engine. I am a two time builder and will be a three time builder when the Kit becomes avialible late this year or early 2008. I might be biased, but you can't beat Van's products for the price and great customer service. There were alot of LSA at SNF, but most were very pricey. By the way I thought SNF was a very good show this year, except for the Food Court. but it has never been good in the 30 some odd hears I have going

Last edited:
I didn't finish. Some how my computer sent reply before I finshed. There was some discussion about the removable wings and a casual mention of maybe a trailer kit.
Gerry Chancey
RV-9, N92GC
J-3, NC88583

Glad to hear the swiveling nose wheel and toe brakes are back. Keep this stuff like a proper North American design. I think Van actually listens to peoples comments. I'm even more impressed with that.

n92gc said:
Some of the changes to the POC were; swivelling nose wheel, pilot side toe brakes, and increased wing area. He also discussed the pros and cons of the Rotax engine.
I wondered about that nosewheel a couple weeks ago when they published their last update and the side view drawing showed what looked like a standard RV-A nosewheel.

Any more specifics on the Rotax discussion? What don't they like about it? Any discussion on alternatives - such as the Continental like Cessna is trying?

DJ

Why do you guys think the swiveling nosewheel is an improvement, particularly given the questionable stability of this design in other RV's? Isn't the steerable nose wheel more "accurate" at slow speeds? :confused:

rtry9a said:
Why do you guys think the swiveling nosewheel is an improvement, particularly given the questionable stability of this design in other RV's? Isn't the steerable nose wheel more "accurate" at slow speeds? :confused:
I've flown LSA with both of them and to be honest, I'm not sure that I prefer one over the other. I suppose from a design standpoint, a free nosewheel and toe brakes are better - if you loose one brake or have a flat, etc, you are in better shape. That said, I'll keep on flying the CT with its steerable nosewheel...

Good point about a flat front tire, but losing one of the brakes is a big plus for a steerable nose wheel, is it not? Id think there is no way to control the plane with only one good brake (unless you drive NASCAR style)...

Castoring nose wheel makes for way tighter turns without scrubbing or loading the nosewheel. Simpler mechanism and 2000+ A models plus Grummans work well with this setup. Toe brakes are intuitive to North American pilots and your toes are not doing anything else while your hands might be (throttle and stick)

If Van's does not like the carbs on the 912S, we will soon have a cure for that. :)

RV-12 Prototype Changes

I am delighted to see the projected changes (swiveling nose wheel and toe brakes). Good for Vans. And a trailer kit would be awsome. I would like to be able to able to purchase a trailer in 'flatbed' form from the Vans factory or somewhere nearby, connect it to my van, tie down the whole RV-12 kit and the rest of the trailer kit (hopefully a full enclosure kit like the sailplane people have), and drive home. First, I would build the 'trailer kit' to hone my skills - then begin construction of the 12. Maybe this is too much to ask for and the regulators might throw a monkey wrench into the whole 'trailer' thing - licensing, etc. Anyway - I'll buy, construct, and use a trailer for our 12. I am confidant that someone will offer a trailer kit.

The 'removable wings' are an absolute 'must have' for me - I will take our RV-12 to the airport to fly and take it home the same day. It's a matter or convenience and cost for me. I really don't want to leave our 12 at the local airports overnight ever. And to be able to maintain the 12 at home inside of my garage would be a joy!!!

And hopefully, Vans engineers will find a way to make the stabilator length short enough to be permanently mounted to the fuselage as I place my plane into the trailer. I think that the widest trailer/load part must be 8' or less in California. Thanks again, Vans.

Don't know about California rules, but the max width in most states has been upgraded to 8.5 or 9'.

Mel said:
Don't know about California rules, but the max width in most states has been upgraded to 8.5 or 9'.
Mel's Correct - Just checked the Calyfornia vehicle code - it's 102" / 8.5 feet. But the problem comes by needing clearance to make the interior of the trailer - assuming you want it enclosed.

Just curious - can you add to chord or change other design parameters what you lack in width? How wide are stabilators on other craft? Anybody have any idea how wide the original stabilator was on the RV12?

DJ

Good point about trailering

I fly sailplanes on the weekends and I'm also fixing up a Teenie Two airplane. The point about 'trailerability' is well taken. I find sailplanes annoying to put together: the horizontal stab., the wings (which are long and heavy), the wingtips, etc. I wish I had a spot under the shade hangers at the local gliderport, I'd rather let a glider sit out in the open air than have to put it together every time I fly. Which brings up a good point: don't make the wings so heavy that 1 person alone can't assemble it. I realize that is subjective, but at 5'6'' and 150 lbs, any wing is already pretty big for me.

My Teenie Two has just the wings to put on and I find that MUCH more convenient, no removable tail section. Also it's a safety issue, if that horizontal stab. comes off then you can bet someone will put it on wrong. That's even if you put in all the major 'it won't work unless it's properly connected' tricks that sailplanes have.

I also love the idea of an 'all in one' trailer/plane kit. That idea of driving a flat bed away and a year later having a trailer and airplane is fantastic. Even a kit where you get boxes and practice on the trailer and by the end of that you are an expert at building airplanes is great.

Last edited:
I think that one of the reasons for Van going to the stabilator was to keep the span down for trailering.

Back