What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Buying completed kit parts out of the US?

kevinsky18

Well Known Member
I know nothing of the Canadian rules for inspection other than each section must be inspected before it is closed up.

There are allot of kits that are started and then abandoned by builders. I was wondering what the Canadian legal technicalities are in terms of buying say an Empennage that was completed by a US builder?

Specifically in terms of inspection, can you get items like this inspected after they are closed up? I mean ?officially? inspected. Obviously any part can be inspected with the proper equipment such as a bore scope or other item designed to look in to tight spots.

Do they have to be officially inspected? Obviously if it wasn?t officially inspected you couldn?t count the Emp towards your total build time but could you just bolt it on go?

What?s the difference between bolting on a completed emp that can?t be officially inspected and bolting on a back yard engine rebuild (certified or automotive ) that can?t be inspected other than with a bore scope and compression test?

Last edited:
HI Kevin,,, get in touch with the MDRA. http://www.md-ra.com/ As far as I know,, they will want to inspect. If the "component" is not open enough to enable access for inspection, they will want it opened. Not a big deal. on my rudder I forgot to leave it open, I drilled out about 20 rivets along the top and spar and voila.. the inspection was fine.

Mike

manufacturer-built vs other-builder-built for MDRA

There is a link at MD-RA.com to the Exemption to 549.01.
(getting started, then the last link is to regulatory information)

See Appendix A Part 1 section 4 paragraph b.

It makes a specific mention of parts that are enclosed by the manufacturer.

If I purchased an (unispected by MD-RA) completed structure from anywhere, I would expect to be drilling out some rivets to expose areas for inspection.

I had read that borescope wasn't access enough, but I was unable to find the reference quickly.

Hope this helps you.

MDRA

I was working on the tail when I called MDRA inspector and asked some questions. One builder told me as long as you take lots of pics, its fine go ahead and close it up, they can peek in lightning holes.
WRONG. Inspector said they have rules and MUST look at all pieces prior to close....everything closed will need to be drilled open and inspected. I think it may depend a little on inspector, but....plan on opening everything up.
As you are likely aware, they charge for EACH inspection and mileage. Most folks line up wings and tail for just one preclose and then the final. Gets very costly to have several inspections. Good luck.

I didn't notice a list of MDRA inspectors on the website. Are these guys hard to come by or is there usually one in every Transport Canada office?

kevinsky18 said:
I didn't notice a list of MDRA inspectors on the website. Are these guys hard to come by or is there usually one in every Transport Canada office?
Hey Kevin

The inspectors aren't Transport employees; they are civvies like the rest of us who are licenced to perform inspections on behalf of Tranport. They normally have regular day jobs and the inspection stuff is part of their hobby, although one for which they have to be trained and maintain a level of proficiency.

Just call MD-RA and ask for who the local inspectors are for your area. I've found that emailing them is just short of useless ;-)

Cheers

MDRA

I agree. I called them and got great service. Very nice people, but emails disappear forever. I was given an inspectors name, he was apparently the closest one to Windsor, (he lives over 100kms away). There is nobody at all within an hour or so of my area, and since they nail you heavy for mileage....it sucks pretty quick. I did hear that the inspectors are volunteers, they do get the mileage, but its no great deal. Who wants to tie up their weekends driving to look at 1/2 built planes...and filling out paperwork.

Actually sounds kind of like what I do? Ha, maybe i could sign up and at least get paid mileage.

Even when I registered on line for the mdra package and paid my money...it took 4 weeks to get the kit. When you register on line they want your engine choice, and serial number etc....i slowly found out after 10 tries and a phone call, that it wont accept numbers like 1, or 0, or leaving the box blank. You must type "NOT KNOWN" and that is the only way it lets you send in the goofy form. Government.....geez. Why would they care about the engine serial number when you arent even a builder yet....GEEEZ.
Ok, I am done now

Back