What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Slider rollers on a 6

RFazio

Well Known Member
I'm wondering if anyone has come up with better rollers for the sliding canopy. The rollers on my 6 are already worn and I haven't flown yet. The nylon actually wore down and the brass washer was touching the slider track. I had to take down the brass washer to a smaller size. I would love to get a set of ball bearing rollers to replace what's there. I did try some shower door roolers that were the right ouside diameter but they were much too thin. Anyone have any good ideas?

RFazio said:
I'm wondering if anyone has come up with better rollers for the sliding canopy. The rollers on my 6 are already worn and I haven't flown yet. The nylon actually wore down and the brass washer was touching the slider track. I had to take down the brass washer to a smaller size. I would love to get a set of ball bearing rollers to replace what's there. I did try some shower door roolers that were the right ouside diameter but they were much too thin. Anyone have any good ideas?

Richard,
I think something is wrong with the installation of your canopy or the way you have the rollers assembled.
I know of RV-6 and 6A's with well over 1000 hrs of flight time and they have no problems with the original roller installation.

If the canopy is installed properly there should be no side load or rubbing of the rollers on eather side of the tracks. In fact the canopy on a taildragger RV (tail tilted back) will just about slide aft on its own.

O-Rings? Mine doesn't have O-rings. Are the o-rings over a nylon wheel? I'm thinking I could machine a grove in the nylon roller and add the o-rings. My canopy slides ok. I've got it so it is not rubing on the inside or outside edge of the track. But it still doesn't slide nice. The rollers sometimes roll and sometimes slide. With o-rings I think it would roll. this would stop the flat spots from forming.

slider canopy on another type of homebuilt

hi all, just wondering if any of you had some real good pics of a canopy install, I want to put a slider on a another type and am looking for instructions/pics/info, any help would be appreciated, thanks

Back