What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

governor oil leak

n505at

I have a new O-360 with a new Jihostroj governor from Van's. I also have a persistent oil leak which appears to be at the gasket between the governor and engine. I changed the gasket once (still leaked) and my mechanic changed it a second time (still leaks). The leak is on the top side of the governor.

Anyone else have this problem? What to do?

Thanks for the help,

Roy Samuelson
RV7A in Oakland CA

Last edited:
oil leak

I read or heard somewhere that is is possible for the governor shaft to be to long and bottoms out on the drive. I don't remember the fix but it is something ike using a thick or maybe two gaskets.
fwiw
RV-9A flying with high CHT and out of ideas as how to cool them down other than shuting off the engine. :mad: :mad:

Governer leak AD

I remember an AD that required checking to ensure that a steel shim (.040 thick?) is between the engine and governer. Sometimes it gets thrown away with the old gasket.

The shim is only for IO-360 200 HP engines that have a dual mag. So if your engine is a O-360, the shim SB would not be applicable and should not be necessary or used. If the mounting pad on the governor drive is flat and you are torquing the mounting nuts and studs sufficiently (they need to be really tight), I would try a different governor.
Good Luck,
Mahlon
'The opinions and information provided in this and all of my posts are hopefully helpful to you. Please use the information provided responsibly and at your own risk.?

Update

Just in case someone stumbles on to this thread, here's an update. I emailed Jihostroj who replied that they had stopped making my model governor in 2003 and asked for pictures of the leak.

I emailed MT propellor who sold the governor to van's. They suggested I make sure the mating surfaces were indeed flat and that I try using 2 gaskets instead of just one.

The gasket p/n is MS914401 or MS9144-01. it is available from Spruce and Aviall.

I changed the gasket again (3rd time). This time I painted on Perfect Seal gasket sealing compound (NAPA part JV66B) which is evidently the street name for Perfect Seal No. 4 from P.O.B. Manufacturing of Cincinnati, recommended by Lycoming. I torqued the 4 nuts to about 125 inch pounds. After a series of touch and goes this afternoon, it appears to be leak free.

More later, if needed,

Roy Samuelson

Back