What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Awsome Dynon Additions / Improvements

From the description, Dynon has been listening to it's customers. Almost everything requested on the Dynon forums has been incorporated. About the only thing missing is audible airspeed warnings.

I don't see the download available yet, hopefully soon.

I've already planned a panel upgrade, so it will give me the opportunity to wire the GPS to the EFIS and get some new features.

Attaboy, Dynon!

vlittle said:
About the only thing missing is audible airspeed warnings.

I don't see the download available yet, hopefully soon.

Well, the HS34 gives us full voice alert functionality, so we will be doing overspeed alerts. If you were at SnF, you could hear it telling you to "climb, climb" or "descend, descend" based on your altitude alerter ;)

The HS34 also gives us automatic screen dimming, and more EMS inputs.

The firmware will be out around June 1st, but the HS34 will be a bit behind that, since it will be tied into another software release that gives us full networking capibilities.

I hate to ask but...

...will the HS34 come in a horizontal format?

What are its dimensions?

Thanks

Oh man!

Just when i thought I had everything I start drooling and my credit card makes audible whimpering noises!

Frank 7a, GNS430, D100 and EMS 10.

Frank1

Come on man. Pony up......$$$$$....who else is going to test this bad boy for me before I get in the air.

Frank2 @ SGU RV7A "NDY"

Your right Frank 2

That was incredibly selfish of me I'll order one straight away...When Marci is not looking I will anyway...:)

Frank 1

7A_@ABI said:
...will the HS34 come in a horizontal format?

What are its dimensions?

Thanks

It would be very nice to have a horizontal format, as stated above. Also, the mounting dimensions and electrical interface specs would be extremely useful if published right away so that builders can prep their panels (or in my case, modify) in advance of it's availability.

It will be easy for me to do this when the panel is removed (in the next couple of weeks), but a real PITA later on.

vlittle said:
It would be very nice to have a horizontal format, as stated above. Also, the mounting dimensions and electrical interface specs would be extremely useful if published right away so that builders can prep their panels (or in my case, modify) in advance of it's availability.

It will be easy for me to do this when the panel is removed (in the next couple of weeks), but a real PITA later on.

Take a look at the bezels at the bottom of this page http://trioavionics.com/alt_hold.htm

If Dynon doesn't offer a horizontal bezel, you could roll your own with a bit of effort. Better if they offered it though.

Dynon does it again

I have to say that I am really impressed with everything about Dynon these days. Their service has been wonderful and their equipment keeps getting better.

I'm very glad to see that Dynon hasn't taken the approach of completely revamping the product and abandoning a huge install base with 'legacy' equipment. Instead, they are expanding functionality. If people want to use their Dynon equipment for a simple VFR setup they still can and won't have to pay for the fancy stuff. If people want to go all out, they can have a very nice panel.

Plus, I think the new EFIS layout is awesome...a huge improvement, IMHO. I was wondering why they didn't do that before. The fact that they left the old layout as a selectable option in the new firmware is indicative of their desire to keep their existing customers happy.

For the uninitiated here's the new layout:

d10%20efis%20new%20symbology.gif

vs. the old layout.
d10a%20straight%20on.jpg

This expansion module is an awesome addition to the Dynon lineup! Knobs, audio alerts and wow a 429 interface (wow opens up a ton more radio/gps possibilities) for $650.00.

Do you need two for a dual screen D180/D100 setup or will just one expansion module on the Dynon bus be all that is required?

What would be really nice is....

......The GNS 430 has two ARINC outputs. It would be awesome to have my existing ARINC to drive the mechanical NAV head and leave it set to the GPS...and then have the second output wired to the Dynon expander box so the NAV radio part is hooked to the Dynon for VOR/LOC/GS approaches.

A couple of times during training I forgot to switch the Nav head between the GPS/VOR or vice versa.

If you effectively have two heads then you wouldn't have to remember to switch...just remember which one to look at...:)

Anyone know if the 430 can be set up this way?

Frank 7a

I think the primary output on the 430 can be switched between nav/gps and the secondary is nav only.

I think you could do what you want by putting the mech cdi/gs on the primary set it for gps and then hook the secondary port and the serial port to the expansion box. That way you could use the expansion box to switch between nav and gps signals on the Dynon and use the 430 to switch between nav and gps signals on the mech cdi/gs.

That would be sweet

I notied that on the current HSI the scaling does not change between enroute and terminal mode...I.e the Dynon display stays at the enroute scaling and is nowehere near resolution to make say a VOR approach...This is presumably a function of the serial output of the 430 rather than a Dynon thing.

Would need to make sure the scaling works right before I purchased the expander box....Should be OK if its using ARINC i guess?

Cool

Frank

Hmm...the 430 doesn't output serial VOR data Frank...so I'm a little lost at what you're saying.

It outputs something...

...Via serial...You connect the same output to the autopilot and splice into that line to get the serial data to the d100/ems d10.

This is what givs you TAS, winds aloft and the virtual HSI, except as I mentioned the HSI does not re-scale betwenn the various modes.

Does that make sense?
Frank

Even the OBS works

I.e if you put the 430 into OBS mode and turn the Mechanical NAV head, the HSI turns in sympathy..

Frank

frankh said:
...Via serial...You connect the same output to the autopilot and splice into that line to get the serial data to the d100/ems d10.

This is what givs you TAS, winds aloft and the virtual HSI, except as I mentioned the HSI does not re-scale betwenn the various modes.

Does that make sense?
Frank

Yes, I know it outputs GPS data but not VOR/LOC data. That's what confused me about your statement was when you mentioned using it for a VOR approach. I'm not sure about the scaling thing on the 430 but I know on my GX-50 you can change the scaling in the menus from manual to automatic. Maybe you just need to find a setting like that in the 430?

Hmmm..

Yeah maybe, would be nice as the HSI is pretty useless otherwise...Good for reverse sensing in holds but not much else.

Thanks

Frank

Serial Nav data

The 430 puts GPS ARINC 429 on P4001 pins 46 and 47. AND VOR/LOC ARINC 429 on P4006 pins 23 and 24. But it only puts out GPS on RS 232.

Thanks, so....

It puts out GPS ARINC on one set of pins and VOR/GS ARINC out on another.

So how is the NAV head wired and what happens when you press the VLOC/GPS toggle button?

From what you are saying, the NAV head is wired to both outputs and the GPS/VLOC toggle turns one output off and the other on??

How would this work with what is now essentially 2 Nav heads??

Frank

Ok, a few things:

You need only one HS34 module for all your Dynon equipment.

The HS34 has dual ARINC-429 inputs, a single ARINC-429 output, dual serial connections, and a single analog resolver.

To connect to a 430, you need to hook both the VOR/LOC ARINC and the GPS ARINC to us. You then need to hook our ARINC transmitter to one of the 430's ARINC recievers.

You can split ARINC ouputs up to multiple units, so it can go to both the HS34 and another HSI head. One issue here- only one of them can command the course though, so I'm not 100% sure if we cleanly we can really support this. If you always used the mechanical head for VOR and the HS34 for GPS, that would work for sure. If you wanted both to go to the HS34 and only one to the mechanical, that could cause an issue.

You could do wild stuff like hook the 430 up via analog, but you loose a lot of features that way.

Finally- the ARINC data auto-scales on the GPS side as you get closer. This is one of the main advantages of this system. The 430 just doesn't output that data on serial. If you have a WAAS 430, it will do smooth scaling from the FAF to touchdown, just like a ILS!

Back