What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Use of AP required

kaa

Well Known Member
Hi all,

Slightly theoretical question about this approach: https://aeronav.faa.gov/d-tpp/1901/05120R25.PDF. It says "Use of FD or AP providing RNAV track guidance required during simultaneous operations". What does it mean for the experimental world? Does the autopilot need to be TSO certified or something (the same way IFR GPS has to TSO'd)?

Thanks

It just means they don't trust you to fly a gps approach path with out using an autopilot or flight director when they are doing ifr approaches to both 24/25 runways at LAX.

And for experimental, the autopilot does not have to be certified - but it has to be flying according to HSI data from a certified IFR GPS receiver.

For example a Dynon (non-certified autopilot) flying the approach from data handed to it from a Garmin 430W, as I have in my airplane.

The issue here is that this approach is very close to the approach into LAX, so they treat it much like other simultaneous parallel approaches, with equipment requirements, etc. I?d say don?t worry about it. ATC most likely won?t clear you for the approach until/unless they can fit you in using the normal spacing rules.

Thanks everyone.

Interestingly there is a LOC approach to the same runway that seems to follow the same profile, but does not require the use of AP. Why would that be?

https://aeronav.faa.gov/d-tpp/1901/05120L25.PDF

The FAA allows simultaneous approaches with less than the usual spacing from other aircraft only under certain constraints: only a precision approach (ils or LPV), autopilot or flight director is used. Sometimes high rep rate radar has to be functional, as well as the safety controller having override ability on tower frequency. The PIC may always decline a parallel approach, and should if he or his equipment is not up to it. If you request a LOC or LNAV, ATC will hold you until you can make the approach with no one inbound to LAX nearby. As I said, indirectly, above, my guess is that ATC will do that for an LPV approach, too, unless you make a specific request for a parallel.

Back