What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Where to buy Pro Seal?

txaviator

Well Known Member
Can anyone offer advice on where you purchased your Pro Seal? I am certain Van's offers it (I haven't checked though), but was wondering if any of you found it elsewhere, perhaps even at a local outlet?

I just need a small quantity for now, to seal my rudder's trailing edge.

Thanks for any tips.

Thanks, Paul. That is EXACTLY the type of information I was looking for, listed in your article.

I appreciate it!

I bought my ProSeal, which is actually Chem Seal, from Van's for something like $43 a quart (disclaimer: I took Orndorff's advice literally and used a LOT of ProSeal-- one can per tank).

I saw ProSeal at Aircraft Spruce for about $80.
I used the money I saved to buy new clothes. (g)

Paullie!

This is HUUUUGE! Exactly what I have been looking for! You been holdin' out on me!!!

Nice work!

Now I have some new bathroom reading!

:D CJ

I have not read the article posted about proseal so your question might allready be answered. I used epoxy on my rudder trailing edged and it came out very well. The one draw back with buying some proseal now for that project is the experation date on the proseal. If you do get some buy a small quantity unless you are starting on the tanks soon. I'm just finishing my first tank now and need to complete the other by october. I ordered the quart from Vans.

My 2 cents worth on proseal. Get a semco gun and use it for the tanks. I started with out it and another builder at the field offered the use of his. It kicks butt, you wast a littler left over in the tube but you don't make a huge mess in the tank. He got his on ebay for 30 bucks.

Ryan

I agree with Ryan that a Semco gun makes sealing your tanks a lot easier and much less messy. Semco guns are easy to find on Ebay. The only drawback is that sealant in Semco tube is a lot more expensive than the sealant in a can that you mix yourself. I used a Semco gun on my tanks and would do it again even at the higher cost, but it probably cost 3-4 times as much doing it that way.

Updated Link

Gary,

ProSeal is available from most of the normal sources, including Van's, however they carry limited choices of type or size. I wrote an article on tank sealant which is posted on the Vans Airforce.net website at: http://65.219.228.161/articles/tank_sealant.pdf
which lists some other sources for various sealant prodcuts.

I was looking for more info on sealants, the link listed above did not work for me, but this one did. http://vansairforce.net/articles/tank_sealant.pdf

Your post may be old, but it was helpful for me.

Thanks

If you want to use a Semco gun but don't wish to buy the proseal in the tubes there is another option. You can buy the empty tubes from B.A.C. I think it stands for Business Aircraft Consumables. They also sell sealant in all different kinds and sizes. I by sealant by the quart can, mix it as needed and then fill one of the empty tubes and put her in the gun. They also sell a varitey of tips for the gun also. This way I use only as much as I need, and sometimes I'm even able to clean the tube and reuse it agian although this is rather time consuming and you need MEK.

Back