What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Locating the GRT elements in the RV-10

cstanley

I am about to begin location and installation of the AHRS and magnetometer units on my GRT EFIS and ERT. I will have an IFR package, including lights and strobes in the wingtips. Is there a generally accepted location for the magnetometer that keeps them clear of RMI, etc? I asso see the AHRS has to remain centered on the axis. Where have others located their units? Is there anything published? It doesn't seem that it should make much of a difference whether your experience is a 10 or another model.

Thanks

AHRS and magnetometer location

I put my duel AHRS side by side on a shelf over the battery behind the baggage bulkhead with the magnetometers to the outside of the AHRS on the same shelf.

I mounted two angles to the longeron's and fixed the shelf to the angles with screws so I could remove the entire shelf without taking off the AHRS and magnetometers. That way I can put the entire setup out of the tailcone for any needed service.

I also braced the forward mounting ange to the center baggage bulkhead support.

I am pretty happy with the mounting location and don't seem to have any problems with interference with the rear seat shoulder harness cables running nearby.

It is a lot easier to mount the angles beteen the longeron's before riveting on the rear top deck to the cabin top. Ask me how I know.

I'm going with a single AHRS and I built a shelf for it right behind the firewall. No point running all those wires back to the tailcone. I'll probably put the magnetometer in the tailcone however. My backup for the AHRS will be a regular electric AI or Turn coordinator.

http://wcurtis.nerv10.com/08fuselage/fuselage31f.html

fuselage31f.jpg

Back