What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Panel tilt and turn coordinator gyro

647jc

Well Known Member
OK, since no Falcon instruments were available I ordered an electric turn coordinator and an altimeter from Aircraft Quality Instruments in Wichita, KS. They are rebuilt units and look brand new (new faces I think). The turn coordinator (Electric Gryo) was $425 and the altimeter (Kollsman) $365. The company was easy to do business with and they delivered the products in just a few days. Don't know if the instruments work but they sure look nice. Anyway, when I ordered the turn coordinator I told the person that my instrument panel had an 8 degrees tilt and they said that made no difference for a turn coordinator. So, now that I have the instrument, it says on the back it is calibrated for installation in a vertical panel only. So, what's the deal? Is there really a difference for a turn coordinator? I know there is for an AH but not sure about the TC. The people at Aircraft Quality Instruments seemed to know what they were talking about but I would appreciate some additional input or comments from anyone else.

Thanks,
JC

Maybe

Hi JC,
From way back in the hippie days, I remember that the turn coordinator's gyro is mounted in a horizontal axis and the AH is mounted in a vertical axis. This being the case, you should be OK but the AH has to have the correction ($50). Since pitch and bank don't necessarily affect the TC, only yaw, I can't see why it needs correction. BTW, an easy way to check you TC operation is to watch it while taxiing and turning.

Regards,

The turn coordinator, unlike it's relative the turn & bank, is set up with the gimbal tilted about 30 degrees so as to "anticipate" the turn as soon as the aircraft is banked. So while the turn coordinator will work in a tilted panel, it may not be as accurate.

Back