What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Bench mounted belt sanders - which one?

Bateleur

Many references are made by builders as to the usefulness of belt sanders during the course of their build. More specifically, belt/disc combo sanders. I am struggling to find out which of the two is likely to be more usefull though, the vertical mini-belt sander or the standard horizontal (generally) 4" belt sander. Images as follows:

Mini belt Sander
144551_lg.gif

Standard Horizontal Belt Sander
phpThumb.jpg

Which of these two types (brands etc. aside) are likely to be of more use than the other. Any help appreciated.

I have the Ryobi and it works great, especially for straightening out an edge. I'm personally looking to get a 12" disc sander too, though.

Thanks for the prompt reply John. The Ryobi you have though, is it a mini-belt sander or horizontal belt sander (images in first post for reference)?

I'm trying to find out which one of the two types of sanders depicted above (i.e. vertical mini-belt (1") or horizontal belt (4") - brand aside) would be better suited to the building of an RV.

I do a fair amount of woodworking and their, the flat, broader 4" belt would suit better but I'm not too sure that that would be true for the applications whilst building the RV?

I have both, both Craftsman brand. Some Ryobi products are not up to par; that is why they are about the cheapest ones you'll find.

I use both, but since I got the large (horizontal) one, I don't use the other one very much. Actually, when I do use it it is because the small one is in my shop while the large one is in my barn. I need to find space for it in my shop.

The 6" wide belt takes metal off much faster and since it rides over a solid bed instead of running between 2 rollers, I can get a straight edge with it, while the smaller one gives me a little arc as the belt bends between the rollers.

I rarely have used the disk sander & when I have used it I have never been satisfied with the results.

Knowing what I know now, I would get the large (horizontal) one.

Richard Scott
RV-9A Wings

Sander

I have the Standard or second option you provided. Working with a lot of heavy angle you'll be glad you made this choice.

Just get both---------any excuse to buy more tools!!!

Seriously, they both have a use, if you can afford the $$ and space, I would recommend getting both.

If I had to choose, the wide belt will last longer, and is more readily available than the other one.

Mike

Mine is like the second one, but it's a Delta....and probably the power tool I used more than any other in shaping angle stock (and other parts) for my -8. I'd give up my drill press and band saw before I let someone take my belt/disk combo!

Paul

I also have the Delta brand wider sander as Paul mentioned. It can be set up to be either vertical or horizontal but I find the vertical position works best for me. A friend has the 1" belt sander like the first picture. It is a good tool also but I personally find the wider belt works better for me. I also agree that it is an extremely useful tool. I cannot imagine building without it.

Door #1

I own a Delta with a 1" belt and a 7" disk similar to the first picture. Add a drill press and you'll have all the power tools you need to build an RV. The only time I used my bench grinder was to alter dimple dies and pop rivet tools.

Steve

Dang!!! Now THAT's what I like about this forum! Prompt and concise! Exactly the answer I was looking (and hoping ;) ) for!

Thanx to all the respondants for your replies... looks like the horizontal 4" belt/disc combo for me! ;) :p

#2 vertical

I have a Delta 1" one - like #1 but with no attached disk....

It's the one tool I wish I would have got larger at the start...

The #2 option is much more useful, but I prefer a vertical belt.... that Roybi does swivel 90 degrees to get a vertical belt, doesn't it?

Small parts go from a rough cut on a small band saw (wood blade), to a sand to final size on the belt sander, to a polish on a ScotchBrite wheel on the bench grinder.... three sequential, easy steps... :)

gil in Tucson

Bateleur said:
Thanks for the prompt reply John. The Ryobi you have though, is it a mini-belt sander or horizontal belt sander (images in first post for reference)?

I'm a little late but just for posterity: I have the horizontal sander (the second image)...the exact same model of Ryobi in that image :)

And yes, it will swivel to vertical if you wish.

Have used the one belt sanders so much, that I have two. One has the disk, but I rarely use that option.

L.Adamson

Back