What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

leather

nmontei

I just got my seat foam from vans, and i was wondering if i need to cover it with special material, or can i use leather for a car seat?

nick

Foam chaffing away

I had my seats done at Oregon Aero. No, they where not cheap, but very well worth it. During the tour of the facility they gave a nice demonstration of how easily the soft foam outer part of the core chafes away. They cover the foam with a special cloth to keep the leather from chaffing the foam into dust. I was shocked at how easily the foam turned into dust when rubbed against a rough surface like the unfinished side of leather.
They also commented on how many customers they get that did their own seats and wonder why the cushions gave out.

I checked with an trim shop in the area and they said that you need to use special material in an aircraft, Is this true or can I use what I would like?

nick

nmontei said:
I checked with an trim shop in the area and they said that you need to use special material in an aircraft, Is this true or can I use what I would like?

nick
You can use an old empty metal gas can covered in polyester tied to a bic lighter that is attached to your slider canopy so that it lights the polyester material everytime you open the canopy if you wish. :p

Of course I am joking! But the point is you do not have to adhere to any specific requirements in the materials you use for the interior of your airplane.

I had Flightline Interiors make up my interior very reasonable priced and excellent workmanship. I give Abby an A+++++.

3135F 75hrs and going great.

Leather is OK - even in certified planes....

nmontei said:

nick

Apparently, leather is classified as meeting the FAR for certified aircraft seats. It is naturally non-flammable...

gil in Tucson

Gil is correct, leather and natural fabrics are "approved" for certified aircraft. I encountered this while doing the interior of my Baron, ended up with leather seats and wool carpet. And yes, it doesn't "matter" in an experimental but I'm not anxious to survive the fire only to be taken out by the toxic fumes from the vinyl.

John Clark
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
(leather seats, no carpet)
KSBA

nmontei said:

nick
Don't just put the leather on without protecting the foam! It will chafe into dust. Take a piece of leather and rub the back side against your seat core and watch the dust fly. It will be doing that under your butt making your cushions less effective over time.

So what do you protect the seat cushion with so the leather won't rub it raw? Thanks. Dave

Seat Foam Protection

I can shed some light on the extra foam around the Oregon Aero seats. About a year ago I contacted Oregon Aero about their seats and below is a quote from that message...

" Remember visco-elastic Confor foam will break down if you do not use a protective barrier between the upholstery and the Confor foam. The upholstery rubbing on the Confor foam will cause the foam to breakdown and lose its shape and density. That is why we completely encase our Confor foam cushions with a protective poly foam jacket that we glue right to the Confor foam cores."

Something you might want to keep in mind if you're building your own cushions.

--
Michael Crowder

??

Thanks for that info. I looked up Polyfoam on Google and can anybody tell me (that has purchased their seats from one of the two big seat companies) -- is the Polyfoam the stuff that is white/clear in color, maybe 1/8", used to wrap fragile things and looks a lot like the stuff you put on the floor before you put a laminent fake wood floor down (like Pergo)? I'm making my own and want to do it right. Thanks. Dave

pictues

Excellent site, but I still don't know what it looks like? I think and hope it might look like the whitle/clear thin stuff place under Pergo flooring? If that's the case, I have some and will use it. Any pictures or confirmations out there? Thanks.

Foam Foto

The PolyFoam used is just thin Furniture Upholstery Foam. I have an Oregon Aero Soft Seat Cushion. I took some pictures this morning of the wrap material. You can start to see the blue and pink foam color through the outer jacket.

77134027.bM9Ym6cA.jpg

For larger pictures/close-up pictures see..

http://i.pbase.com/o6/31/493831/1/77134027.7gCIpFFN.IMG_0271.JPG
http://i.pbase.com/o6/31/493831/1/77134025.aM5EzBlC.IMG_0270.JPG

--
Michael

Forbidden

Michael. Thanks for your continued efforts to help me "look" at the material. The two links provided said "Forbidden" when I tried to open them? I don't know why? Any other thoughts? Is anybody else having difficulty? Normally I have no problem opening up links. Take care. Dave

Never mind

For some reason when I sent the last reply, it opened up the pictures. So, I got them. Thanks again. Dave

Back