What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Spar Double Plates need dimpling?

alpinelakespilot2000

Well Known Member
I'm building my rear wing spars.

The instructions call for drilling and dimpling the rear spar upper flange along where the W-907B rear spar reinforcement fork attaches because the dimplying will be hard to do once the fork is attached to the rear spar. Understood.

It seems like the same would have to apply to the W-907D and W-907E rear spar doubler plates (which attach mid-span and outboard on the rear spar), because the plates both have a flange that tuck up under the spar flange. Should I dimple the plate's flange and spar's flange now before attaching the doublers to the spars, or will I be countersinking those, or the top skin, later when I fit the skins? I tried to look farther ahead in the plans and couldn't see anything that referenced it. I'm wondering if this is one of those places where, now that I'm in the wing section, I need to begin figuring things out for myself without intructions from Van's.

Thanks for any help.

Steve

Last edited:
Just wait until later...

When you get to final assembly, you may find only the notes on the big prints are your only guide.

As for the situation now, you better start using that common sense. You will know if something needs to be countersunk by the thickness of the pieces involved.

Jerry K. Thorne
RV-9A N2PZ
Wheel pants and gear leg fairings - at the airport.
www.n2prise.org

Yes, those pieces can be dimpled now if you want. Failing that (as I did because I took the narrative plans literally), you can countersink the flange on the rear spar too.

Nothing we haven't all gone through. The migration from narrative instructions to looking at the ISO almost exclusively will come almost as a matter of evolution.

The reality of building, as far as I'm concerned, is a conglomeration of sources of information. I use primarily Dan's site, Dave Parson's site, the instructions, the ISO etc. etc. etc.

The one thing I've noticed as I've gone along on this project is actually they I spend MORE time studying before doing, rather than less. That may be counter to what most builders experience.

Feel free to email me directly ([email protected]) if you have questions along the way. I'm happy to help where I can.

Back