What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Hearing Protection

xavierm

Well Known Member
Friend
Does anyone have any recommendations in regards to hearing protection?

It would be nice to have ear muffs with a jack built in for my iPod.

Will the disposable ear plugs be enough?

Go over to Home Depot and buy a set of Peltor Hearing protectors (ear muffs). The foam earplugs work fine, but I find that I sometimes don't use em cuz it's a bit of a hassle getting them in. The ear muffs hang on a wall and are much more convenient. I bought an extra set for my girlfriend in the house.

I found the little foam guys to be the best overall, but they can be a hassle to put in if your ear holes are on the smaller end. The headset style are good for short duration events, but can get quite hot if the shop is warm. Ear buds from your Ipod under the headset style might be ok.

Home Depot also sells headset radios so you can listen to your favorite radio stations while you rivet. Mine are Peltor; they sell the same things under a few different brand names.

Earphones

I bought the electronic ear muffs from Harbor Freight . They allow me to listen to my radio or TV in my shop, but as soon as the compressor kicks on, or my rivet banger starts making noise, it instantly cuts out and blocks the noise. They are cheap, and work very well.

Last edited:
Cheap, but worth it?

I got some cheapee over the ear muffs from Home Depot (can't remember the brand) They are good enough at blocking noise. After about 15 minutes of wearing them, however, it's all I can do to keep from tearing them off. Uncomfortable to say the least.

Not sure what I'll do. Most of my "high noise" durations are relatively short, so I'll live with them for now.

Back